The Student Room Group

Whats with all these cash for gold adverts all of a sudden?

In the last few weeks, these cash for gold adverts seem to have just all sprung out of nowhere.

Just today alone i think i have seen the following
cash4gold
gotgoldgetcash
postalgold
cashforyourgold
money4golduk
postgoldforcash

and another i can't remember the name of.

The sad thing is, every one looks like a scam with the adverts looking like they cost a fiver to make in there mates back room and the dodgy cheap tacky websites. They look like those dodgy american shopping channels where they get people to say how happy they are with their purchase etc.

Can't remember which gold advert it is but the one where the woman says at the end "We are a multi million pound company" and I'm just left thinking your clearly not with an advert as cheep looking as that!

Is gold really suddenly worth a fortune and everyone is sending it away for money? And are all these businesses really safe, yes they claim they send the cash as soon as they receive your gold, but you never know with these sort of things.

It reminds me about a few months ago when all those cash for mobile phone adverts came out, but they never came across as cheap and tacky as these gold ones did.

Has anyone actually sent any gold to any of these companies?
What do people think of the ads?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, gold prices are very high at the moment, but I can almost guarantee that these companies won't be giving you a value close to what your gold is actually worth. It's pure profiteering and exploitation of the ignorant and desperate
Reply 2
It is more to do with changes happening to the dollar, rather than gold itself. Pinkpont has a point too - in the recession - easy cash could tempt a lot of people.
Reply 3
Wow, my gold is worth something? :eek:
Reply 4
Harv616
Wow, my gold is worth something? :eek:

:lol:

I heard that before somewhere ... Don't remember where :sad:
Reply 5
Craig_D
:lol:

I heard that before somewhere ... Don't remember where :sad:

Mock the week :p: David Mitchell :woo:
Reply 6
There was a program on a while back which showed these companies probably give you 40% of the value of the gold at most.
Reply 7
Companies are aware that money is tight for a lot of people and that in some cases being given money directly seems like a good solution. They profit in taking advantage of the current ****** economic climate.
Reply 8
pinkpont
Well, gold prices are very high at the moment, but I can almost guarantee that these companies won't be giving you a value close to what your gold is actually worth. It's pure profiteering and exploitation of the ignorant and desperate

Exactly this.

Also, any envelopes that have the logo or address of 'Cash4Gold' can be nabbed by the postie.
Reply 9
OH those adverts are so annoying! And it's one after another!

It's to do with the recession I recon, people who have lost there jobs needing the money..

It's stil very annoying but not as annoying as the meerkat advert. eurgh!
Gold at all time highs + people still stupid as ever = ££££££££££
Reply 11
DanielNewton
In the last few weeks, these cash for gold adverts seem to have just all sprung out of nowhere.

cash4gold
gotgoldgetcash
postalgold
cashforyourgold
money4golduk
postgoldforcash

The sad thing is, every one looks like a scam with the adverts looking like they cost a fiver to make in there mates back room and the dodgy cheap tacky websites. They look like those dodgy american shopping channels where they get people to say how happy they are with their purchase etc.

Can't remember which gold advert it is but the one where the woman says at the end "We are a multi million pound company" and I'm just left thinking your clearly not with an advert as cheep looking as that!

Is gold really suddenly worth a fortune and everyone is sending it away for money? And are all these businesses really safe, yes they claim they send the cash as soon as they receive your gold, but you never know with these sort of things.

It reminds me about a few months ago when all those cash for mobile phone adverts came out, but they never came across as cheap and tacky as these gold ones did.

ha i have noticed this too.

it's funny how they send you an envelope to post your gold back to them.....the envelope will say "cash4gold" at a certain address....how obvious and likely is your gold going to get "lost"...
Reply 12
They reckon that because of the credit crunch, they're doing people a favour by pointing out gold is worth something :O, and that they can give them a fraction of the true value which they can then scrap to pocket the profit.

Why anyone would send their cherished gold in an envelope entitled 'GOLD!!!!' with the current animosity of post men towards the rest of the world is beyond me.
beaker
Companies are aware that money is tight for a lot of people and that in some cases being given money directly seems like a good solution. They profit in taking advantage of the current ****** economic climate.

There's a shop not too far from where I live which buys gold from people as it happens.Couldn't agree more , with the current economic problems there's bound to be plenty of people with cashflow problems who could do with selling stuff to get some cash directly.
Reply 14
I love these adverts, as a postman they certainly make my job more profitable :wink:

lol
Reply 15
Holamigo
OH those adverts are so annoying! And it's one after another!

It's to do with the recession I recon, people who have lost there jobs needing the money..

It's stil very annoying but not as annoying as the meerkat advert. eurgh!

I just read on Wikipedia the company only went into the UK in 2009 and has a secure site in Sheffield.

It's making a nice little amount from the recession.

I have just read they only give customers 20% of the melt value of the gold when typically in gold selling, the seller is given at least 90% of its melt value.

It's a company for people who are broke. Maybe even bailiff broke.
Reply 16
DanielNewton

cash4gold
gotgoldgetcash
postalgold
cashforyourgold
money4golduk
postgoldforcash

Yes tons of them. They do say that they won't give you the actual calue of your gold. But it's sky high the prices at the moment! Shame Brown decided to sell half of the UK' s gold when it was worth **** all!
I swear I want to kill that weird looking old guy on the cash for gold advert. His retarded facial features annoy the hell out of me.
Reply 18
Teaddict
I love these adverts, as a postman they certainly make my job more profitable :wink:

lol

Great, when your not having your weekly day off strike your hunting for Gold.

Although you have to be totally stupid to put anything in one of those things they send you with GOLD!!!!! written all-over the bag! - you are just asking for it :p:
Gold prices are rising at the moment are are expected to continue rising. There's good profit to be made.

Thanks Metro Newspaper for that one. :yes: