Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Of the universities I was thinking of applying to, I had questions about the course at two of them, so I Emailed the directed authority for that course.

For one of my prospective choices (1) I got a helpful, polite and substantial reply within a couple of hours. For the other (2) it's been a week and a half and I still haven't had a reply.

Is it a silly thing to be reconsidering applying to (2) as a result of this? The people who I Emailed were, after all, part of the department I would be studying at.

Or is it fair enough that they haven't got back to me yet?

I think it's a silly reason. Don't let it get to you.

ReputationRep:
    They might just be really busy.

ReputationRep:
    i emailed some yesterday, and got a reply from one, and then a reply to my reply...
    but nothing from the others
    im sure they will get back

dont change your mind because of them not emailing, if you really want to ask them something, ring them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    I think it's a silly reason. Don't let it get to you.
    Fair enough. Thanks.

(Original post by Spinnerette)
    They might just be really busy.
    The question in its entirety:

"Are there specific entry requirements for the subjects offered as minors?"

I understand it's a busy period but I don't think that's a question that should take too long to answer.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's a busy time of year for universities, if you like the course don't let it put you off applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ejit)
    Fair enough. Thanks.

The question in its entirety:

"Are there specific entry requirements for the subjects offered as minors?"

I understand it's a busy period but I don't think that's a question that should take too long to answer.
    Still they may just be very busy. I mean it is admissions times and their going to be getting a lot of queries this time of year. Plus they have classes to teach, field trips etc.

Don't let it put you off applying if you need an answer desperately phone up the university and ask to speak directly too the department you need to talk too.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'd say it's something you should definitely put into consideration. Although they're different departments, if you did need administration help (ie, your accommodation problems, student finance, wanting to change course etc.) then it's good to go for one which has proved itself in a different area. Going to university is an investment, you're paying for a service which includes the admin side of things, so if you're not happy then you should be taking it into consideration.

I got REALLY put off Leeds for this reason; I emailed twice with no reply, I called and they were clueless. Even Kent can be terribly slow, I requested the new prospectus before I came here to see what changes they were making and they never sent me one, they didn't send me a welcome pack, their correspondence is slow, and so on. Conversely, RHUL's is very good, they're very helpful so you've chosen well there.

ReputationRep:
    If it's SOAS you need to bear in mind that they are reputed to be amazingly disorganised...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    Still they may just be very busy. I mean it is admissions times and their going to be getting a lot of queries this time of year. Plus they have classes to teach, field trips etc.

Don't let it put you off applying if you need an answer desperately phone up the university and ask to speak directly too the department you need to talk too.
    That's true. Thanks I appreciate the help.

(Original post by kat2pult)
    To be honest I'd say it's something you should definitely put into consideration. Although they're different departments, if you did need administration help (ie, your accommodation problems, student finance, wanting to change course etc.) then it's good to go for one which has proved itself in a different area. Going to university is an investment, you're paying for a service which includes the admin side of things, so if you're not happy then you should be taking it into consideration.

I got REALLY put off Leeds for this reason; I emailed twice with no reply, I called and they were clueless. Even Kent can be terribly slow, I requested the new prospectus before I came here to see what changes they were making and they never sent me one, they didn't send me a welcome pack, their correspondence is slow, and so on. Conversely, RHUL's is very good, they're very helpful so you've chosen well there.
    What you've said makes a lot of sense. Thanks very much. I will probably still apply but I'll be choosing (1) over it if I get the chance.

I have to confess to applying to RH largely because of the architecture and surrounding area, but I think that's the case for others as well. I'm glad it's well run too.

ReputationRep:
    I have emailed five places in the last two weeks and only two got back to me... I know they are busy but I asked a simple question... you would think they would want to help potential students :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It's not stupid: I'd want people teaching me to be well organised, and if I attended their university I'd like to be secure in the knowledge that if I contacted them with any problems/questions etc they'd get back to me asap. Afterall, they may be busy but I doubt your email would have taken that long to read, or a reply to type, and so gives the impression that they don't really care whether you apply or not.

I emailed Hull earlier on in the year (not at a particularly busy time, admittedly) and they never got back to me, which seriously put me off them. It was a very concise email, main body of the email being about three lines, and a reply would have taken seconds. It doesn't leave a good impression, especially when contrasted with Bristol who gave a very friendly and informative reply to my query within 48 hours.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.