Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i am currently a gap year assistant student trying to get some teaching experience.

i've got an interview soon for a teaching assistant vacancy and i've been told to bring a portforlio if i have one, however i have no idea what this is and i was wondering whether someone could tell me what it is made up of.

Also just wondering are any other jobs that i could be looking for apart from teaching assistant/classroom assistant to gain more experience for priamary teaching?

thanks for all the help!

ReputationRep:
    I guess any job that shows experience of the school environment and/or children of the right age will be helpful. Have you thought about jobs as a before/after school club supervisor, or as a lunch time supervisor? I guess there's also office work/admin or running sports clubs or music lessons after school or lunchtime.

I assume that you would prefer paid work, but there's always the voluntary option too. Listening to primary school children read, helping at a youth group (Brownies/Beavers/Badgers/Girls Brigade/Boys Brigade/anything) or working at a Summer School might help too.

With regards to the teaching assistant portfolio, I would assume they want copies of any relevant qualifications (CACHE/NVQs/degrees etc) and a current CV. Perhaps any case studies of work you have already done?

My mum's a teaching assistant at the moment, and I know she has a portfolio that she is required to keep every year, so I could ask her what is in that, if it would help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Explorer Dora)
    I guess any job that shows experience of the school environment and/or children of the right age will be helpful. Have you thought about jobs as a before/after school club supervisor, or as a lunch time supervisor? I guess there's also office work/admin or running sports clubs or music lessons after school or lunchtime.

I assume that you would prefer paid work, but there's always the voluntary option too. Listening to primary school children read, helping at a youth group (Brownies/Beavers/Badgers/Girls Brigade/Boys Brigade/anything) or working at a Summer School might help too.

With regards to the teaching assistant portfolio, I would assume they want copies of any relevant qualifications (CACHE/NVQs/degrees etc) and a current CV. Perhaps any case studies of work you have already done?

My mum's a teaching assistant at the moment, and I know she has a portfolio that she is required to keep every year, so I could ask her what is in that, if it would help?
    Wow! thanks a lot! thats a lot of info, and yes i would be very grateful if you cold ask ur mum whats init! and thanks again for all the help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I would expect that the portfolio is the type of thing that they do while doing the NVQ and keep updated with relevant professional development evidence. It would probably include essays on things like child development and records of observations that have been taken through the course (thinking of relating it to the teacher's professional development portfolio!).

If you don't have one, I reckon it would be difficult to get anything together now. I certainly didn't have one when I had my interviews and I got a job as a TA Just be prepared to answer questions about your experience already, is the best thing I can say!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Kt!
    is there any qs that i should expect or be prepared for?
    and should i still take my CV and Qualifications?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Well it couldn't hurt to take your CV and qualifications, altho they might already have a copy of your CV.

As for questions, it was about a year and a half ago when I had my interviews! I was asked things like 'what would you say were your strongest/weakest subjects?' and I was asked to talk about my previous experience in schools (I had volunteered in a dyslexia unit at a school for two terms during my degree)... Can't really remember anything more specific than that I'm afraid!

Also I see your location is Lewisham - I'm at Greenwich Uni doing my PGCE and I might well be placed in schools around Lewisham!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.