Turn on thread page Beta

Should 16+ be allowed to go clubbing legally? watch

ReputationRep:
    Bit of an abstract topic, I know - hopefully posted in the right sub-forum, if not, feel free to move it.

Um, having this as a subject for the next debating society meeting at my college. One which I am participating in as one of the main characters :rolleyes: To make it bit more challenging, decided to stand on the against side.* So far have come up with following ideas,

a) there should be a fixed legal age, i.e. 18 to enter the club; cannot lower it, as lower it once, then the subsequent ones are more likely to follow

b) there is high pregnancy rate in UK - letting 16-17 in might increase that rate (and probably would)

c) in general a typical 16-year-old is less mature and responsible than a typical 18-year-old, hence he will be easily exposed and influenced by some negative behaviours; his mentality and personality is still being shaped; do they know the limits?

d) there are cases of - drugs, violence, accidents, stabbings, murders, sex - getting drunk is a standard - goes without saying

That's it. Hope you guys can contribute more

EDIT:

*Reading the posts made me realise that debating against is actually an easier task

ReputationRep:
    There are some clubs and pubs near my hometown that let in under 18s, you just get a different coloured stamp. You're right it does lead to trouble. It makes 16 year olds mix with the 18+ crowd who happily get them pissed up with anything they want.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm no, not when alcohol is involved.

I used to go to a club when I was 15/16 - which only served soft drinks and was especially for teenagers of that age. It was okay but a lot of people used to get drunk before being let in.. which spoiled it really.

It's extremely convenient for a club to check your ID once and then serve everyone alcohol, rather than ID people individually. Getting a drink at a club takes long enough already.

ReputationRep:
    I would have said the against side would be easier. Unless you're going from a 16yr old point of view.

Adding to what you already have;

The fact that people go to clubs generally to drink a little/lot, besides the dancing, means that to follow this there would have to be some revision of the drinking age. It would be nearly impossible for the bar staff to be able to tell who's 16, who's 18+, they don't have time to ID everyone at the bar. This is the reason for IDing at the door.

There would have to be another form of ID introduced that would be accepted, as not many would have a provisional, and it's risky carrying around a passport. Those citezen card things hardly ever get accepted.

And I actually just got up so I'ma go find a shower now.

Ohh I loved debating

ReputationRep:
    16 year olds in clubs are bad enough. if they were allowed to be there we'd have to put up with 14 year olds. :/

ReputationRep:
    No, 16 year olds should only be allowed in clubs illegally :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No because mature looking 15 year olds would land me in jail.

ReputationRep:
    No - kids don't know their limits. I for one can't be arsed with some pissed up 16 year old chav starting **** then vomiting on me when I'm out and about.

ReputationRep:
    I think the fact that the legal age to drink is 18 and I think the clubs might have to get more insurance if they allowed under 18s to enter? Wouldn't it cause some issues for them with the selling alcohol if they have 16/17 year olds in the club?

Plus I doubt it would cause more pregnancy due to the fact you can have sex really anywhere so making it legal for under 18s to enter a building won't change that.

ReputationRep:
    I think the age on drinking/going into clubs should remain at 18. I can just imagine some 16 year old little chavs overtaking, thinking theyre so great and hard=/.

Even though my sister whos 16 uses my ID and comes with me because we're like twins

ReputationRep:
    technically, according to our head bouncer, it's not illegal to let someone into the club at 16, it's just illegal to serve them alcohol. We recently got stung by a the police who used a 15 y/o girl who looked about 30 and she got served. So now, to avoid another hefty fine, we have to ID EVERYONE at the bar on Thursday nights (which at 3000 people a night can get very tedious!)

ReputationRep:
    No.
    Don't let the ******* have any fun!

ReputationRep:
    Why should adults' nights be ruined by a bunch of squealing teenagers? Ugh.

Let them go 'clubbing' at under-18, chaperoned, alcohol-free clubs. Leave adult activities for adults.

ReputationRep:
    No, there are enough idiotic 18-year-olds in clubs as it is.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say yes, but i would, im 16
    I don't think there would be to much of a problem if 16 yo's were allowed into clubs, but with for example, a differnet coloured band.
    Or maybe we should be allowed in on a certain night, like a friday night, and then not a saturday so saturdays could stil be 18+ only.
    I think this could work.

ReputationRep:
    No, it would take twice as long to get a drink because they would have to ID everyone at the bar. And there are a lot of immature 16 yr olds (not that I am saying there isn't immature 18 yr olds too) who I don't want to spend a night out with, and a lot of them probably wouldn't know their limits.

ReputationRep:
    There are actually a lot of companies springing up catering for 16+ like UTR http://www.utrevents.com/home.php who host nights at Matter in the O2 and then theres the Underage festival and NME are trailing U18 events too. Interesting that everyone thinks that it's about drink, drugs and underage sex and nothing to do with a genuine love of music..... cos it's not what it's like when you 18 right??? on that note heres an article a guy trying to go drink free at uni for the first 6 weeks..http://tinyurl.com/yjyqrs2

ReputationRep:
    No, it would ruin it for everyone else! Just have under 18 nights instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LisaaWhyy)
    I'd say yes, but i would, im 16
    I don't think there would be to much of a problem if 16 yo's were allowed into clubs, but with for example, a differnet coloured band.
    Or maybe we should be allowed in on a certain night, like a friday night, and then not a saturday so saturdays could stil be 18+ only.
    I think this could work.
    Not at all, they would lose SO much money. Alcohol is so much more expensive than soft drinks (which is all they could sell on the Friday) Not worth it, it works how it is now.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.