The Student Room Group

American Camp Experience?

Okay, so i'm pretty sure I want to take a gap year between college and University. And I know, personally, the only place I want to spend this is America, and after much research, i'm pretty set on working in a summer camp.

So my question is; which company should I go through?
Camp America? CCUSA? BUNAC?

Anyone with any experience with this, i'd really appreciate your help. AND any opinions on how the experience was etc.

Thank you. (:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Experiences, bad or good, are greatly appreciated.

I want to know what i'm letting myself in for.
Reply 2
I went through Camp America - which a lot of people say is the most expensive to go with, but they look after you well and it's probably good to go with them if it's your first year doing CA.

The experience I had was amazing, scary and fun!

You meet so many great people from different countries and my camp was a special needs camp which was so rewarding!
Only thing I didn't realise I was letting myself in for was:

Camp songs & dances - A LOT of them.Cheesy aswel but it's all part of camp.

you have to be comfortable with standing up in front of a room of 100+ people and singing a song and doing a silly dance!(grey squirrel - look it up on youtube lol)
Also camp is all about not taking yourself seriously, you will have to do lots of silly stuff like dressing up as pirates or zombies etc..
A few of my friends applied with BUNAC this year so I might be able to help. :smile:

They were guided through the experience quite well and were interviewed so as to make their application as strong as possible. They also had a full day of lectures/training. However, only one of them actually found a place - the others were hanging on until around May to be told they were unlikely to get anything. The visa application process is up to you from what I gathered and thus you have to go to London and to the Embassy in order to sort that out but I am sure they would give advice if you need it.

My friend stayed at a Lutheran all girls camp in New York State. She said that she loved it and had an amazing experience but that it was hard work and required a lot of dedication. She stayed in a tent for the summer looking after a group of girls with one other counsellor and they dealt with issues such as a nit infestation - whereby they had to get the children and all the bedding etc feel from nits asap. She also said that there were problems within the camp between American workers and international workers as the Americans appeared to dislike the internationals and were outright rude to them, such as giving them the collective name "England". Some of the senior staff were aware of this as they mentioned that they could speak to them when problems arose. Apparently it was worse the year before resulting in no international counsellors returning. Anyway, I think those are the only negatives she experienced and as I said, she got a lot out of it. It would do wonders for your confidence I imagine as she had to lead classes and evening events with a hundred or more girls under her direction. I would definitely say you need a "give it a go" attitude and to be prepared to be quite cut off from home as access to a phone and computer were limited - other camps may be different of course.

My friend said the best part was the end though most definitely when she was able to go travelling with some of the friends she made (all international counsellors in the end) using the money she was paid.

:smile:
Reply 4
Brittni91
Okay, so i'm pretty sure I want to take a gap year between college and University. And I know, personally, the only place I want to spend this is America, and after much research, i'm pretty set on working in a summer camp.

Anyone with any experience with this, i'd really appreciate your help. AND any opinions on how the experience was etc.

Thank you. (:

Look into Camp Leaders, they aren't as well know as the others, as they are a newer company, but they less expensive and you get more pocket $. My camp prefers to use them as they are less expensive for the camp as well. I would say most camps are the opposite of what was described by the other posted friend about Americans disliking international staff. My experience has been completely opposite. The camp I work at has a huge international component, about 40%, and it's great. Definitely look at Camp Leaders though, they are fabulous.
Reply 5
Yeahh my camp was about 50-60% international and the American's loved us Brits! :biggrin:
SpitFire27
Look into Camp Leaders, they aren't as well know as the others, as they are a newer company, but they less expensive and you get more pocket $. My camp prefers to use them as they are less expensive for the camp as well. I would say most camps are the opposite of what was described by the other posted friend about Americans disliking international staff. My experience has been completely opposite. The camp I work at has a huge international component, about 40%, and it's great. Definitely look at Camp Leaders though, they are fabulous.

I was surprised when my friend described all the problems they had at her camp as I didn't expect it to be an issue at all. It is good to know that it isn't usually the case though but doesn't really say much for that camp lol. :smile:
Reply 7
This summer I went with BUNAC on the Summer Camp USA program. I had a really fantastic experience and it was made easy by the BUNAC staff. They were always willing to take calls and answer any questions. Also as BUNAC is non profit the fees are pretty reasonable too. My camp was amazing. There was 20 international staff and 60 American staff. I worked for 8 weeks at camp and then travelled for 3 weeks after and even managed to break even! It was the best summer I've ever had. It's not often you can play games and teach sports etc with kids and call it a job! I would recommend you have a look at BUNAC:
http://www.bunac.org/uk/summercampusa/
Reply 8
There is a similar thread here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1050170

All the companies are pretty similar, they just get you to the USA. Camp America, BUNAC, InterExchange are all really great companies who have years & years of experience !

Summer camp advice website with lots of feedback - http://www.summercampworldwide.com
Summer camp forum with lots of people applying - http://www.summercampworldwide.com/chat

Take a look at the companies websites or give them a call. Definately apply though its so much fun!
i am just back from the best summer ever.
i went through BUNAC - ended up at a day camp which left evenings free to explore.
defo going back to america next year too.
everything is very easy to organise and BUNAC were a great help!
i was really worried about booking so now that i have come back i'm intent on reasuring all those who are in my position.
check out this site...http://www.bunac.org/
get everything sorted soon to guarantee a good place!
enjoy!!
Reply 10
Brittni91

Thank you. (:

BORING!!

Seriously!!

Wouldn't you prefer going to Argentina or Peru doing some voluntary work. It's cheaper, a huge load more exciting, dangerous, dirtier and not for the faint of heart but if your adventurous and you know some relative/friend who's working there it's a hell of a beautiful experience.
theBOON
BORING!!

Seriously!!

Wouldn't you prefer going to Argentina or Peru doing some voluntary work. It's cheaper, a huge load more exciting, dangerous, dirtier and not for the faint of heart but if your adventurous and you know some relative/friend who's working there it's a hell of a beautiful experience.

There is a Peru volunteer program organised through Original Volunteers that looks amazing but just to point out, in most cases, volunteering is actually more expensive. The programs BUNAC offer, for example, come to around £1000+ whereas the fees to go to camp are around £300-400 and you get paid. So, in that sense, maybe going somewhere to volunteer isn't a viable option for the OP [or many others like me lol]. :smile:
Reply 12
affinity89
There is a Peru volunteer program organised through Original Volunteers that looks amazing but just to point out, in most cases, volunteering is actually more expensive. The programs BUNAC offer, for example, come to around £1000+ whereas the fees to go to camp are around £300-400 and you get paid. So, in that sense, maybe going somewhere to volunteer isn't a viable option for the OP [or many others like me lol]. :smile:

Obviously if you go with a company organized program it will still be expensive. What I was talking about was, when I and 2 other mates went living with a missionary parish priest in Peru. The atmosphere around you among the many jungles is priceless.
theBOON
Obviously if you go with a company organized program it will still be expensive. What I was talking about was, when I and 2 other mates went living with a missionary parish priest in Peru. The atmosphere around you among the many jungles is priceless.

Sounds good. :smile:
Reply 14
So... does no one have any strong preference?
Brittni91
So... does no one have any strong preference?

If your heart is truely set on doing a Summer Camp, then look in the "Camp America 2010" thread in the Gap Years forum.

Personally I'd go with BUNAC, but that's only because I went with them in 2005 and haven't heard a bad thing about them.
Reply 16
Does anyone know who does the best deal on flights? Or whether to pay for the flights yourself? And also, (this doesn't really matter, just wanted an idea) how much would you get paid for a nine week period?
Holamigo
I went through Camp America - which a lot of people say is the most expensive to go with, but they look after you well and it's probably good to go with them if it's your first year doing CA.

The experience I had was amazing, scary and fun!

You meet so many great people from different countries and my camp was a special needs camp which was so rewarding!
Only thing I didn't realise I was letting myself in for was:

Camp songs & dances - A LOT of them.Cheesy aswel but it's all part of camp.

you have to be comfortable with standing up in front of a room of 100+ people and singing a song and doing a silly dance!(grey squirrel - look it up on youtube lol)
Also camp is all about not taking yourself seriously, you will have to do lots of silly stuff like dressing up as pirates or zombies etc..

I'm interested in applying but camp songs! I'd get embarrassed easily. I don't think I could sing in a room of 5 people let alone 100+. This kind of makes me more interested in support staff than being a camp counsellor.
Reply 18
questionmark
I'm interested in applying but camp songs! I'd get embarrassed easily. I don't think I could sing in a room of 5 people let alone 100+. This kind of makes me more interested in support staff than being a camp counsellor.

I was exactly the same at first but when you are there it's very different - and everyone around you is doing is - so you feel out of place if you don't sing along.

Honestly if you want a really great experience do not be support staff.. you get really left out of things.
Reply 19
Brittni91
Does anyone know who does the best deal on flights? Or whether to pay for the flights yourself? And also, (this doesn't really matter, just wanted an idea) how much would you get paid for a nine week period?

Ok.. which ever organisation you go with BUNAC, Camp America etc.. the flights are included in the payments. You don't look for your own flight.

for 9 weeks you get payed $1000 with camp america

Latest