Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think that what Sir Bob Geldof had done is good and that he does care about this and that he did highlight the problems in Africa and that something had to be done about the poverty of many of these people , but how better of will the people of Africa be after the Live aid is over what then?. Still some 20 years on Africa is still very much the same as it was ok yes we know more about the poverty which is Africa, but lets say in 20 year time from now i can still see Africa in the same mess with all the some problems. The aid which is given to these people , is not going to the people but to these corrupt govt which then dont spend the money on the people. The money should be given to the people and not to any govt of any kind that has past of being corrupt. The British,French and other countrys are also to blame in alarge part, when many of these country gain indepence the imperial powers just left without Educating the people and so only a few of the locals knew how to deal with therunning of the country. I dont see how much will change all, it will do is to highlight the probs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    I think that what Sir Bob Geldof had done is good and that he does care about this and that he did highlight the problems in Africa and that something had to be done about the poverty of many of these people , but how better of will the people of Africa be after the Live aid is over what then?. Still some 20 years on Africa is still very much the same as it was ok yes we know more about the poverty which is Africa, but lets say in 20 year time from now i can still see Africa in the same mess with all the some problems. The aid which is given to these people , is not going to the people but to these corrupt govt which then dont spend the money on the people. The money should be given to the people and not to any govt of any kind that has past of being corrupt. The British,French and other countrys are also to blame in alarge part, when many of these country gain indepence the imperial powers just left without Educating the people and so only a few of the locals knew how to deal with therunning of the country. I dont see how much will change all, it will do is to highlight the probs.
    I totally agree mate.......

ReputationRep:
    The money is is not going to the people which is sad , where has all this money gone i say it must be some where

ReputationRep:
    brasil85, i accidently stumbled upon this post (was looking for something else!) but it does intrigue me. i do agree that aid can't just keep being handed out, but i think you have got a bit confused.
    this is no "LIVE AID" there is "LIVE 8" which is completely free. people text in (costing only $1 [sorry pound sign not working]) and are entered in a competition. The texts only cost to cover the cost of the performance (which does cost quite a bit!)
    this "LIVE 8" has 1 purpose - to raise awareness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuber)
    brasil85, i accidently stumbled upon this post (was looking for something else!) but it does intrigue me. i do agree that aid can't just keep being handed out, but i think you have got a bit confused.
    this is no "LIVE AID" there is "LIVE 8" which is completely free. people text in (costing only $1 [sorry pound sign not working]) and are entered in a competition. The texts only cost to cover the cost of the performance (which does cost quite a bit!)
    this "LIVE 8" has 1 purpose - to raise awareness
    free and £1 within a few millimetres of one another. how curious.

ReputationRep:
    lol. when i said free, i meant you didnt have to pay for tickets. You always need to pay for texts of any sort that arent to you mates.

ReputationRep:
    LiveAid won't help
    Eliminating tariffs and subsidies will.

ReputationRep:
    its LIVE 8. LIVE AID IS DIFFERENT PEOPLE!!!

ReputationRep:
    I dislike Bob Geldof: I believe in charity and I guess the ultimate purpose is honourable, but his tactics are very bullying. We had a uni 'make poverty history' night last week where they were signing people up for the summit in Scotland and selling the wristbands etc, but rather than ask us whether we wanted one they asked 'do you want to make poverty history?' and didn't leave us alone until we bought one. I think that bullying approach reflects much of live 8.

If they really want to solve poverty in Africa, they need to bring down the corrupt governments that hoard profits from things like diamond mining. Otherwise, we're just throwing money at something but not solving the underlying issues.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.