Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive got my driving test in a months time, I feel confident in general driving and I know my 3 point turn and reverse park well, the reverse around the corner is getting better, and the emergency stop is easy.
    But I just found out that sometimes the examiners want you to reverse and park into a bay. How do you do that?
    I've never done it before
    Also besides the above, is there anything else I should have learnt?

Could someone please give me steps on how I should park into a parking bay, including any references etc... I will be doing my test in a mini.
    Thank you

Love BlueAngel xxx

ReputationRep:
    Find a line of one bay. Drive backwards until the line is "pointing" at the front door of your car and then full lock left on the steering wheel. You should go into two bays beyond the one you have picked the line of. Remember observations on the test (and in general!) Once you're pretty much there, straighten the steering wheel.

ReputationRep:
    Just the same as reversing around a corner I should imagine? just that the corner is imaginery and culminates in you landing in a bay with the dividing line being the 'kerb'.

Never learnt how to do it when I was learning to drive and didn't have to do it on my test - I guess they sometimes ask people to do it instead of reverse around a corner?

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys. Your methods are different to each other, doesnt it matter how you do it?
    Englishstudent yours to me sounds like a reverse park between two cars, cos you do a full left lock in that.
    And, Kingspharm youre saying do a reverse around corner which needs one left turn etc... I'll try both methods tonight and see which one I find easier.
    Cheers!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Englishstudent's method sounds right to be honest, but the distances might be slightly different as a mini (if it's an original style one) is a short car.

Go in a car park and practice - that's the only way to do it really. As I say, I never learnt how to do it properly, I just do it how I like. But then again, I've already passed my test years ago

ReputationRep:
    yep thats the best way, I just gotta persuade my driving instructor now that I havent done bay parking, when she recons I have, lol.

i find it easier to drive to the bay, turn from the bay to about 45 deg then reverse in. easier than turning 90deg into the bay or turning then reversing straight in

ReputationRep:
    ^ yeah that's the logical way to do it, but don't think that would be accepted in a driving test :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you ask your driving instructor to show you?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    i find it easier to drive to the bay, turn from the bay to about 45 deg then reverse in. easier than turning 90deg into the bay or turning then reversing straight in
    When you say drive to the bay, do you mean aligning the car's front with the top line of the bay? and then turning to the right 45 degrees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemonkeys)
    Why don't you ask your driving instructor to show you?!
    she said we've already done it and I told her I dont understand it but we've been working on the reverse around corner instead, and Im only having 2 more lessons until my test date with her, cos I cant afford it. Instead Im gonna practice myself tonight with my new car But i thought Id get different method firsts, write them down and try them all and see which one suits me.

ReputationRep:
    Most people have different ways of doing it (my dad, my mum, my driving instructor, and my brother all do it in completely different ways), it's just a question of finding what works best for you, like with parallel parking. Try practising parking in different places, like a variety of supermarket/department store car parks and at the test centre (especially helpful, as they may well ask you to park there!), so that you have some experience of parking in different places and differently-sized bays. I think it's also easier in a smaller car, so you should be alright in a Mini.
    In the test they'll ask you to either parallel park or bay park.

ReputationRep:
    Another question, is the emergency stop classed has a manoevoure? (sp?) And are you asked to do only TWO manoevoures in the test?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you do the emergency stop, then you do 2 other manoevres too. But only 1 in 3 people get emergency stops.

And if you haven't been taught bay parking you probs won't need it! I wasn't taught it, coz my centre doesn't test that

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.