Which one to buy!!...please help.. Watch

rachel_hp
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I intended to buy a laptop a couple of months ago but cant seem to make my mind up :rolleyes:

I want a 17inch laptop with at least 320GB hard drive..an LED screen and 3GB RAM..that's it..but i've yet to purchase a laptop...why oh why oh why am i so bloody indecisive!!!

Just when i think i want a Hp Pavilion DV6 2100 and make the journey to PC WORLD, i come across a Dell Inspiron 1555 and decide that's the one i really want.. until my eyes fall on a Toshiba Satellite :mad:

Please help!
spikeymike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
From what I've seen of Toshibas, their battery life are pretty below par < 3hrs. Don't got to PC World to buy a Dell, they usually come with a 4 cell battery which gives again less than 3hrs battery life. Go straight to dell and customise to your needs.

There's also Inspiron 17 and Studio 17
ma2k5
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.dmxdimension.com/

You should use this site to browse some of the Dell deals which are available.

You can also use this http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...ist.844.0.html - as a rough guide on graphic card performance. Graphics processor influence price quite a lot - so it can help you identify a bargain - and also why their are huge differences between laptops.

As for processors, you won't be going for quad I assume - so the ranking is pretty much Core 2 duo followed by the others. You can use this link as a rough guide as well for processors http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...st.2436.0.html - make sure to put the restriction of "notebook only", it is by default showing both desktop and laptop processors I believe..

The processor and GPU will be the main price drivers. Also, if something has SSD (solid state drives) - that will affect prices quite a bit to. For reference, SSD are superior to normal drives - but usually they don't have as much capacity.

Blu-ray players also can add extra costs to laptops.

As mike said - never buy from retail stores - you are almost certainly bound to find it cheaper online.

I know I didn't exactly give advice on what laptop to buy - but I hope this information will let you compare laptops more accurately and make it easier to decide on one. Some people, are not that aware of the differences between CPU/GPU's etc and as a result end up buying a system for more than it is worth - as well as disregarding very good machines because they aren't understanding why it costs X more.
AP.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by spikeymike)
From what I've seen of Toshibas, their battery life are pretty below par < 3hrs. Don't got to PC World to buy a Dell, they usually come with a 4 cell battery which gives again less than 3hrs battery life. Go straight to dell and customise to your needs.

There's also Inspiron 17 and Studio 17
I'm thinking of ordering one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Sate...f=pd_rhf_p_t_2

Similar spec laptops with longer battery life seem to cost a significant amount more. I don't suppose you've any suggestions?
spikeymike
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AP.)
I'm thinking of ordering one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Sate...f=pd_rhf_p_t_2

Similar spec laptops with longer battery life seem to cost a significant amount more. I don't suppose you've any suggestions?
Max battery life: 2.5hrs.... that's awful.

Go to Dell, customise a Dell Studio 15 with a 6 or 9 cell battery.
AP.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Max battery life: 2.5hrs.... that's awful.

Go to Dell, customise a Dell Studio 15 with a 6 or 9 cell battery.
Thanks for the info.

A 9 cell is £60 more, do you know the life of a 6 and 9? Sorry to pick your brains like this. I'm reading mixed reviews about the Dell battery for this model, mainly negative.

I've a Dell Inspiron 1501 atm. Had it about 3 years, battery has completely gone so it has to be plugged in. But I guess a dead battery is standard after 3 years of fairly heavy use, I don't know.
spikeymike
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AP.)
Thanks for the info.

A 9 cell is £60 more, do you know the life of a 6 and 9? Sorry to pick your brains like this. I'm reading mixed reviews about the Dell battery for this model, mainly negative.

I've a Dell Inspiron 1501 atm. Had it about 3 years, battery has completely gone so it has to be plugged in. But I guess a dead battery is standard after 3 years of fairly heavy use, I don't know.
My Studio 15 with 6 cell runs for 3hrs 30min browsng the net and on MSN. Without wifi, it can last upto 4Hrs. 9 cell is around 5-6hrs.

Here's a myth about laptop batteries...
If you're connected to the mains, take the battery out unless you're charging it. It wears out the battery if it's connected to the mains constantly when it's full of charge.
AP.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My Studio 15 with 6 cell runs for 3hrs 30min browsng the net and on MSN. Without wifi, it can last upto 4Hrs. 9 cell is around 5-6hrs.

Here's a myth about laptop batteries...
If you're connected to the mains, take the battery out unless you're charging it. It wears out the battery if it's connected to the mains constantly when it's full of charge.
Never heard that one, but yes it does sound like bull.

Stupid question (probably), but is - '4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]' 4GB RAM?
spikeymike
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AP.)
Never heard that one, but yes it's definitely bull.

Stupid question (probably), but is - '4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]' 4GB RAM?
Yes. :p:
AP.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes. :p:
Lol thanks.
spikeymike
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
BTW OP and AP., i have a laptop thread, which has a few other suggested laptops - might be worth checking. Links is in sig.
AP.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
BTW OP and AP., i have a laptop thread, which has a few other suggested laptops - might be worth checking. Links is in sig.
Cheers.

I've been considering the Samsung R522 as well, it's working out around £60 cheaper than my customised Dell - http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...N0053505&s=dhs
class_act
Report 9 years ago
do a dip. Thats what i always do when i wanna buy expensive electronic devices :yes:
rachel_hp
Thanks for all the suggestions!!

I think i'm going to go for a Dell...now have to decide whether i want a studio or inspiron. I would actually get a Packard Bell seeing as my desktop was a packard bell and i had no problems with it HOWEVER i have yet to read a favourable review concerning these laptops
AP.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Dell's are good. I'm looking for a laptop, similar spec to you. I was thinking Dell but now the Samsung R522 (320GB one).
rachel_hp
Finally bought one!!

A Toshiba Satellite L550, its everything i needed coupled with a 500gb hard drive and 4gb RAM and ATI radeon Graphics...im happy Despite being 17.3 inch wide its not as heavy as the other ones i looked at.
Virus.exe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rachel_hp)
Finally bought one!!

A Toshiba Satellite L550, its everything i needed coupled with a 500gb hard drive and 4gb RAM and ATI radeon Graphics...im happy Despite being 17.3 inch wide its not as heavy as the other ones i looked at.
You gotta realise that there's more to 4gb RAM, 500gb hard drive and "ATI radeon graphics"

You could have a super **** processor and a really bit radeon graphics card. Which wouldn't make your laptop any good at all.
I'm not saying yours does by the way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.48%
No - but I will (76)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.91%

Watched Threads