Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive been looking everywhere and i cant find the information im looking for,

Im just starting my A2 course and we have to appy by september etc etc, and i understand that the unis go on predicted grades; which is where i have a problem. Im predicted ABB when im pretty damn sure I'l get AAB-AAA - how does this predicted grade thing affect my chances of getting into the unis with requirments above my predicted grades???

Are these predicted grades from the first year, the only grades they go on? I mean dont they even consider AS results? Or what would happen if, I am predicted lower grades but i do get A's all round - Does it mean i have wasted my time getting these grades to get into a good uni becuase my predicted grades only realistcaly allowed me to apply to lesser ones?

ReputationRep:
    Yep predicted grades are very important, as that's what Unis look at. Have you talked to your teachers about it?

ReputationRep:
    I think it may also depend what course you actually want to apply for, and where?

I mean, if you want to do a highly competitive course, a predicted grade a little lower than what you can achieve could well put you at a disadvantage.

However, if you're going for a less popular course, the grade requirements could well be lower, so perhaps a more relaxed predicted grade would take the pressure off you.

What exactly do you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    When i got better AS scores than predicted my teachers upped mine a grade each to As. (I asked them cos i was applying to Oxford, not that i got in.) My chemistry teacher told me they usually predict a grade higher than AS. maybe thats just my school though.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the thing i want to apply for law at a decent uni, such as warwick, or a london uni so the competition will be high. Do predicted grades go on what you get at AS level? becuase my economics teacher said he had already done mine And how likly are teachrs to up your predicted grade?

ReputationRep:
    The universities will look at your GCSE, AS, and A-level predicted grades to make offers. They don't only concentrate on the predicted grades. Furthermore, your reference and personal statement are taken into consideration.

If your teacher told you your predicted grade, and you are not happy with it, you could talk to the teacher about it. Most likely, they would base your predicted grade on the AS UMS (uniform mark scale) marks to predict what you will get at the end of your A-levels. For example, if you get an AS level with a UMS equivalent to 83%, you might be predicted a grade B at the end of your A-level. If you get 85% in your AS equivalent to a grade A, you might get predicted a grade A at the end of your A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciari)
    Thats the thing i want to apply for law at a decent uni, such as warwick, or a london uni so the competition will be high. Do predicted grades go on what you get at AS level? becuase my economics teacher said he had already done mine And how likly are teachrs to up your predicted grade?
    As Dogtanian said it just depends on the competitiveness of the course. At my school they were based on as-level grades and if you get AAA i doubt your teachers would predict you ABB and if they do you should be able to persuade them to higher it. For Law at Warwick im guessing it'll be impossible to get an offer with predictions of ABB as most who are predicted AAA will still get rejected.

ReputationRep:
    at my college your predicted grades were either you AS or one higher. And if it really comes down to it, talk to your teachers and persuade them that you're going to get an A.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Universities will look at your AS grades as well as your A-level predictions, but I think your teachers will change them if you do better than they were expecting at AS, and if they don't, talk to them about it. In my experience, teachers often give students fairly low predicted grades in relation to what they're actually capable of achieving because they don't want to get it in the neck if they don't get them. If you explain that you're applying for law at top universities, they should increase them as they'll want you to stand a chance of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how your teachers can make your predicted grades now, seeing as you don't have your AS results. If you do better than they think at AS definitely go and speak to them and ask them to raise it, as AS counts for half the grade, and if you are already 10+ marks into the A grade, there is no reason why with hard work at A2 and with one resit you shouldn't be able to keep it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciari)
    Ive been looking everywhere and i cant find the information im looking for,

Im just starting my A2 course and we have to appy by september etc etc, and i understand that the unis go on predicted grades; which is where i have a problem. Im predicted ABB when im pretty damn sure I'l get AAB-AAA - how does this predicted grade thing affect my chances of getting into the unis with requirments above my predicted grades???

Are these predicted grades from the first year, the only grades they go on? I mean dont they even consider AS results? Or what would happen if, I am predicted lower grades but i do get A's all round - Does it mean i have wasted my time getting these grades to get into a good uni becuase my predicted grades only realistcaly allowed me to apply to lesser ones?
    Talk to your teachers and persuade them to change your predicted grades. I had to do it once when I failed AS Maths but I got my act together and persuaded my teacher I would get a B. If they say its too late then don't believe them because it never is (its even possible to change after you apply but it may be difficult and your college would need to contact the Universities individually).

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice, think i will speak to the teachers. It just seems a really ****ed up thing that say u get predicted BBB, and you got AAA, you will only be able to apply for BBB courses despite your success....seems so wrong to me but hey. I wish i was told that the first year of college was this important...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.