Turn on thread page Beta

Liberal until you experience the real world? watch

ReputationRep:
    It seems that Students, and in the main young people tend to sit on the left of centre. They have Liberal views.

However, as people grow older their views tend to move to the right of centre. I hypothecate this is due to young people not having a full grasp on the complexity of this world, a grasp only gained by living in it for a long time. Young people are often naive to many things and live in an idealised world.

So scary thought for you here Liberals, but in 40 years time will you be putting that cross next to the blue torch not the yellow bird? Why do you think people's political standpoints shift with age?

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    Because they have things to lose, at the moment students have nothing to lose and are not tied to any material posessions. As we get older we start to like having stuff and become more selfish and move towards to the dark side of Toryism.

If only we could be independant thinkers all our lives and do the right thing for everyone rather than just ourselves in our old age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by material breach)
    As we get older we start to like having stuff and become more selfish and move towards to the dark side of Toryism.
    Oh come on, you so wanted the Empire to beat the tricksy little rebels when you were a kid, too! In Episode 1, you so wanted Jar Jar Binks to get splattered by a big wheel or something, and for his eyes to pop out of his head, right? Come to the dark side, join the Tories.

I think students are more idealistic, so more likely to be Liberal. Though, I think in the past students have been largely communist through impressionability and indoctrination - such a thing is pretty much abscent from my young university, with its semi-independent union and lack of trotskyist lecturers - unlike in the US (I've heard), and probably elsewhere in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    "If you are not a liberal when you are young, you have no heart If you are still a liberal when you are older, you have no mind". I am a liberal by inclination and God forbid I should ever veer too far to the right. In general I passionately detest right wing politics and ideologies. The thing is my view of the role of government is "the greatest good for the greatest number" and I just do not believe that right wing ideologies are consistent with this. I am by no means a naive kind of liberal (too many students are), and I believe left wing politics can be reconciled with indivdualism and economic success. As for my position right now, I am a Centrist because I do believe there is good on both sides of the spectrum. If I had to choose, then I would place myself at the far left of the Right.

ReputationRep:
    My whole family have stayed left wing, that is through childhood to adulthood from my grandparents right up to me and my older brothers and sisters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorani)
    My whole family have stayed left wing, that is through childhood to adulthood from my grandparents right up to me and my older brothers and sisters.
    Is that something to be proud of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    Is that something to be proud of?
    Definitely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Definitely
    Why would you be proud to be left wing? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    My dad was born into a middle class family and developed left wing values. My British family have always voted Labour/RESPECT

Look at Bruce Kent. He used to read the Daily Telegraph and look at him now!

However, as people grow older their views tend to move to the right of centre. I hypothecate this is due to young people not having a full grasp on the complexity of this world, a grasp only gained by living in it for a long time.
    This is amusing. Go and talk to aid workers or solidarity workers who devote their lives to causes in the real world and I think not many of them will be right wing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    My dad was born into a middle class family and developed left wing values. My British family have always voted Labour/RESPECT

Look at Bruce Kent. He used to read the Daily Telegraph and look at him now!

This is amusing. Go and talk to aid workers or solidarity workers who devote their lives to causes in the real world and I think not many of them will be right wing.
    I genuinly hate to say this, but the third world isn't the real world to many British people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    Why would you be proud to be left wing? :confused:
    I would have to ask you why would you be proud to be right wing??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Too bad they can provide poor people fish, but can't teach them to fish. Only the evil right-wing businessmen can do that.

And of course, this help from idealists is so appreciated, that governments decide to tax it. :rolleyes:

Source

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyukguy)
    It seems that Students, and in the main young people tend to sit on the left of centre. They have Liberal views.

However, as people grow older their views tend to move to the right of centre. I hypothecate this is due to young people not having a full grasp on the complexity of this world, a grasp only gained by living in it for a long time. Young people are often naive to many things and live in an idealised world.

So scary thought for you here Liberals, but in 40 years time will you be putting that cross next to the blue torch not the yellow bird? Why do you think people's political standpoints shift with age?

Andrew
    But what about people like me and all the other conservatives on this site?

If my political views likewise shift to the right, starting off as conservative now, I'll end up as - what? - a nazi.

ReputationRep:
    And then i would ask you where the hell have i stated that i am?
    I'm not "proud" to be right wing, why should i be?

I'm just interested to find out why you are proud to be left-wing? :confused:

ReputationRep:

Why shouldn't he be proud of supporting an economic system that has ruined the economies of dozens of countries and forced hundreds of millions into poverty?

ReputationRep:
    Because we're right. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    And before anyone thinks it, left wing is not necessarily where liberalism lies...

ReputationRep:

I would think that everyone with a political affiliation is proud of it, simply because they believe that it is right.

ReputationRep:
    I would think that everyone with a political affiliation is proud of it, simply because they believe that it is right.
    hmm, ok.

I can't see how it gives you something to be proud of though, it's just a way of protecting your own interests at the end of the day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorani)
    My whole family has always been right wing. From childhood to old age

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.