Anybody else taking all their AS or A2 modules in summer? Watch

prince_of_paupers
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
hi all,

my college just told me today that they do not do january modules and this came as quite a shock to me as it means that I now how to sit all my exams in one go during the summer exam session and any retakes would have to be done the following year :eek3: quite a few of my friends seem to be preparing to sit the odd unit in january and i see this being far more beneficial...

is there anybody else whose school/college won't let them sit modules in january? and for anybody that's done this, how did you cope/manage with all the extra exams? any tips you can give us in the lower sixth to help us along?
Revolution is my Name
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep, I'll be sitting all my AS exams in June. My school's reasoning is that the synoptic nature of A Levels and the building up of earlier basic knowledge in later units means that, say, the C1 exam will be easier after having done all of C2.
dothestrand
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing all my A2s in summer
Then again, I will only have 3 exams...
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think I'd die.
prince_of_paupers
Rep:
?
(Original post by Malsy)
I think I'd die.
thanks for the reassurance :rolleyes:
thecdon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it seems so pointless.
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by prince_of_paupers)
thanks for the reassurance :rolleyes:

Don't worry, many do all of theirs in the summer; I'm sure you'll adapt.
Mist786
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm just taking AS in the summer
But my lil sis is taking both AS and A2 this summer
Which subjects are you taking?
Acromida
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, I'm doing all of my AS levels in May/June.

I was annoyed too, as this means I have to sit two of my exams straight after one another! Whereas, if I'd has one in Jan, I wouldn't have to have this problem!

Just think of it this way: you have the advantage in the sense that you get longer to learn and practice etc. and you will actually be able to enjoy Christmas!
rockingreviser
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i am doing all my A2's in summer.. and i did all my AS;s in the summer..
Magical.Malteaser
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing all my AS's in summer. I'm on holiday over Christmas so lucky in that sense. But I'm a bit worried as I always did better in modules at GCSE as I only had a few exams to revise for as opposed to...all of them.
S4pool
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Revolution is my Name)
Yep, I'll be sitting all my AS exams in June. My school's reasoning is that the synoptic nature of A Levels and the building up of earlier basic knowledge in later units means that, say, the C1 exam will be easier after having done all of C2.
Thats Exactly what my school said. I also thought taking a few in Jan could help out significantly. Do people do better when taking them in June or whe ntaking half in Jan is the question???
annab1684
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i did all my ASs in the summer and will be with my A2s.. unless you do maths/science there's not much point doing Jan ones now there's only 2 units per subject.
furry747
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I do January modules - really puts the pressure off of you in the summer!

This Jan I'm doing S1, Physics Unit 4, Geography Research paper, Business Production, Business Synoptic: Strategic paper.

Then in the summer i've got C3, C4, Geog (other unit) and Physics Unit 5.
lekky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Revolution is my Name)
With maths, it defintley makes sense. I was pretty annoyed in AS and wanted to take C1 in January, but when it came to June C1 seemed piss easy compared to C2 and so I don't mind this now.

With things like biology and chemistry this must be really freaking annoying and surely gives no benefit?
felt_monkey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I took 9 exams in June, as I missed the Jan exams due to an op. 7 were an A, 2 were 1 mark of an A. Providing you start revising March-ish, you'll be fine. I actually did the best in my year in biology and chemistry, even though everyone else took the Jan exams and then retook in June. There are some benefits to waiting.
FootPrints
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by prince_of_paupers)
hi all,

my college just told me today that they do not do january modules and this came as quite a shock to me as it means that I now how to sit all my exams in one go during the summer exam session and any retakes would have to be done the following year :eek3: quite a few of my friends seem to be preparing to sit the odd unit in january and i see this being far more beneficial...

is there anybody else whose school/college won't let them sit modules in january? and for anybody that's done this, how did you cope/manage with all the extra exams? any tips you can give us in the lower sixth to help us along?
I'm doing all of my A2s in the summer. I thought this was the usual way to do it? :confused:
Anyway, our school doesn't let anyone do January modules. Though they're always telling us how it was much better when we did all the exams after the 2 years.
cardine92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My college doesn't do January modules because apparantly it would cause too much disruption which I guess is right considering college practically closes down for a month during exam time.
prince_of_paupers
Rep:
?
ah okies... well Im taking 2 sciences and maths, meaning I have 9 modules (2 practical ones) in the summer alongside the normal two from a humanities a level... making that 11 exams *arrgh*
Napoleon Bonaparte
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It could be beneficial for you but for me personally doing all my A-Levels in the summer would probably mean I fail.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (535)
37.81%
No - but I will (111)
7.84%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (673)
47.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise