Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing essays for each of my subjects all day, and I really can't think right now - one of the questions for the Biology write-up I have to do is "Why did you shake the test-tube – how could this affect the enzyme?". The experiment was where the protease - bromelain - hydrolysed gelatine on a cellophane strip after which, we measured the absorbency of the solution in a colorimeter. I've put:

"It was necessary to shake the test-tube to make sure that the enzyme was hydrolysing all the contents of the solution, and not just small parts of it. Left undone, this again would have affected the readings from the colorimeter."
    is that right? Something doesn't seem correct.

ReputationRep:
    Rep is available.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you need to shake the test tube so make sure the solution is evenly dissolved. When you are hydrolyzing stuff , the particles remain in that one region and diffuse very slowly. So your Absorbance reading wont be accurate if your measuring the clumps rather than evenly distributed. By shaking it, you evenly distribute all the particles.

ReputationRep:
    Well the common sense approach would indicate that shaking the test tube will: cause the substrate to collide more with the active site of the enzyme, thus increase the rate of the reaction as the active site is more on average exposed to substrate.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2009

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.