Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    basically my predicted grades are around BCD-BBC, Theres a boundary because im in the process ive convincing my teachers to change my predicted grades hopefully to the BBC OR if not , to a BCC

Well anyway ive always wanted to do law at university and become a solictor for a vey long time but wen i first found out my predicted grades and looked at the types of uni i could go to with those grades i thought tomyself that it wouldnt be right t do law with those grades or it wouldnt make sense especially as law is very competive, but anyways right now im having a problem betweeb to choses.

1. do law at university though it might not be the best of uni(this is the suggestion my friend is makeing since all ive ever talked about was law)
    or
    2. do a degree in international business and marketing(i subject i also like) at uni and then do a conversion course later

number is the best one i think i should go with because i think it would provide me a better chance, so really i was wondering what do people think is the best option and why

sorry its a bit long,thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do what feels right for you; if you are attracted to a law degree from an academic perspective, rather than merely being interested in its vocational benefit, then it is the right course for you.

A law degree is challenging, the course requires a great deal of independent study and thought, not to mention a great extent of reading – if you feel, honestly, that you are up to it then I say go for it.

However, if you feel that you would gain more, not only on an academic level, by studying International Business and Marketing – then I say go for that! The choice is yours to make. I found the following books particularly helpful in confirming that law was the right degree for me:

• "Letters to a Law Student" – Nick McBride
    • "What About Law?" – Barnard, O'Sullivan and Virgo
    • "Learning the Law" – Williams
    • "The Law Machine" – Berlins and Dyer
    • "Just Law" – Helena Kennedy
    • Any 'Rumpole' novel – John Mortimer (Despite its fictitious nature it inspired me to pursue a career at the Bar).

Your grades are slightly worrying, this is not meant to put you off but you will not be able to get into any particularly prestigious university with only BCD. It's worth telephoning law admissions offices and speaking to them directly; they're very helpful and will answer all your questions.

I must finally stress: DO NOT STUDY LAW IF YOU THINK IT'LL GIVE YOU THE 'BEST CHANCE' – this suggests that you are only interested in the career it will set you up for; I am not saying do not think of its career benefits, but judge your choice on whether the subject suits your academically enquiring mind!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paine1)
    Do what feels right for you; if you are attracted to a law degree from an academic perspective, rather than merely being interested in its vocational benefit, then it is the right course for you.

A law degree is challenging, the course requires a great deal of independent study and thought, not to mention a great extent of reading – if you feel, honestly, that you are up to it then I say go for it.

However, if you feel that you would gain more, not only on an academic level, by studying International Business and Marketing – then I say go for that! The choice is yours to make. I found the following books particularly helpful in confirming that law was the right degree for me:

• "Letters to a Law Student" – Nick McBride
    • "What About Law?" – Barnard, O'Sullivan and Virgo
    • "Learning the Law" – Williams
    • "The Law Machine" – Berlins and Dyer
    • "Just Law" – Helena Kennedy
    • Any 'Rumpole' novel – John Mortimer (Despite its fictitious nature it inspired me to pursue a career at the Bar).

Your grades are slightly worrying, this is not meant to put you off but you will not be able to get into any particularly prestigious university with only BCD. It's worth telephoning law admissions offices and speaking to them directly; they're very helpful and will answer all your questions.

I must finally stress: DO NOT STUDY LAW IF YOU THINK IT'LL GIVE YOU THE 'BEST CHANCE' – this suggests that you are only interested in the career it will set you up for; I am not saying do not think of its career benefits, but judge your choice on whether the subject suits your academically enquiring mind!

Good luck!
    i understand what you mean but i do feel that law is for, especially since i studied lat at GCSE and IM now doing it at A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by east)
    i understand what you mean but i do feel that law is for, especially since i studied lat at GCSE and IM now doing it at A level
    A-level law is a very basic overview of what law is actually like. To say this decision affects the next 3 years of your life, you should really base your decision on more than the A-level course.

All the books Paine1 recommended are good. "What About Law" was most interesting for me, and if you are not interested by books such as that then maybe the other course you suggested would be better.

Law requires a lot of reading, if you aren't interested in it now then it will probably be difficult to find the motivation at degree level.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.