Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Is it possible to get a USB cable that can plug two devices into one usb socket? So, one end of the cable goes into the computer as normal, but the other is split into two identical plugs, which can go into mp3 players or harddrives etc.

Looked around but I can't find them, and I don't know what they're called..

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Buy a USB hub?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-Port-U...5364112&sr=8-5

Yup. It's called a USB hub.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=84511

USB Hub?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm is there not one that's simply a cable that splits into two at one end? The rest seem so huge..

I mean like there's the big usb end that goes into the computer, then the little usb end that goes into the mp3 player, but it splits, so instead of having one little usb, there's two.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by jvhc)
    Hmmm is there not one that's simply a cable that splits into two at one end? The rest seem so huge..

I mean like there's the big usb end that goes into the computer, then the little usb end that goes into the mp3 player, but it splits, so instead of having one little usb, there's two.
    Generally not possible due to the fact that it's a serial connector, which means you need some clever trickery to merge several devices into a single data stream to be sent to a PC. Luckily that's actually fairly easy to do (hence hubs being so cheap), but it still needs a PCB so you need to put it through a box, not just a split cable. They're really not that big BTW.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.