Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm considering applying for a degree in biology so was just wondering a few things..
    How different is it to A level? A lot harder? more enjoyable?
    How flexible is it with dropping modules you don't like etc?
    What's a typical day/week like? How much lab work?

What's it like compared with a psychology degree?
    Which has better employment prospects?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I would think that biology had better employment prospects than psychology because it's regarded as more scientific apparently.

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot harder (especially 2nd year which I happen to now be in, you have to do loads of extra reading and not just rely on lecture slides). I have labs one day a week which often have pre-lab work and then you have to follow it up with a lab report. You cant just 'drop' a module that you dont like or you wont gain enough credits to successfully complete the year. Your final year is more flexible though as you choose quite a few of your modules. A few (or a lot maybe?) of unis offer a placement year which you do after your second year, so you can gain experience working in a big pharmaceutical company etc.
    Biology definitely has better employability prospects than psychology, but it depends what sort of career setting you want. Psychology definitely wont see you getting a job in a lab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluelou)
    Hey, I'm considering applying for a degree in biology so was just wondering a few things..
    How different is it to A level? A lot harder? more enjoyable?
    How flexible is it with dropping modules you don't like etc?
    What's a typical day/week like? How much lab work?

What's it like compared with a psychology degree?
    Which has better employment prospects?

thanks!
    It's very different to A Level, a bit harder but thats to be expected. It's probably just as enjoyable as A Levels - some parts you like, some parts you won't, especially in your first year.

Normally all the first year students take the same modules, but in your 2nd and 3rd years you can choose which modules to take.

You're looking at 16-20 contact hours a week depending on the uni with several hours of labs.

In my opinion, biology will give you better prospects than a psychology degree. The biological sciences are up there with all the other sciences - chemistry, physics. It's a science degree, but many people wouldn't put psychology under the maths, science and engineering umbrella.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hello_Kitty)
    It's a lot harder (especially 2nd year which I happen to now be in, you have to do loads of extra reading and not just rely on lecture slides)
    How hard is the first year? also when you say harder do you mean in terms of sheer content or..

ReputationRep:
    It is more in depth than A Levels, so more content to learn. You only cover the basics though in the first year. In your second year you study these a lot more in depth and enhance your first year knowledge. Your final year is supposed to be less hard work than your second year, but a higher percentage of your final year marks count towards your degree grade.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.