Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I'm currently choosing my 5 university choices for aerospace engineering, in which the majority ask for AAB for MEng and ABB for BEng.

At one open day they mentioned that if you failed to get onto the MEng course, you'd be automatically considered for the 3 year option.

Does anyone know if this is common for all engineering departments, or does it vary with every one?

I'm predicted ABB so I know it is unlikely to get onto the MEng anyway but if you're automatically considered for Bachelors at all Uni's I figured why not?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    That is certainly what happens at Manchester. Although if you got ABB they would probably still let you on the MEng. If you get the GPA in first and second year though they will probably let you switch if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Apply for MEng, I think it puts you in a better position somehow with student loans or something. Iunno. You can always change it to BEng if you wish during your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    That is certainly what happens at Manchester. Although if you got ABB they would probably still let you on the MEng. If you get the GPA in first and second year though they will probably let you switch if you want.
    Cheers for the reply.

Slightly offtopic: Manchester is one of my possible five choices but I never made it to the open day. I know you do mech., but would you recommend it for engineering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LambieUK)
    Cheers for the reply.

Slightly offtopic: Manchester is one of my possible five choices but I never made it to the open day. I know you do mech., but would you recommend it for engineering?
    The facilities and the city are excellent. The course is can be hit and miss. It is quite challenging and i have learnt to become a much more independent with my studies since A-levels. Some of the stuff you do in first year though seems like it is just there to waste your time. This is not so much the case in 2nd year and even less so in 3rd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LambieUK)
    Hey all,

I'm currently choosing my 5 university choices for aerospace engineering, in which the majority ask for AAB for MEng and ABB for BEng.

At one open day they mentioned that if you failed to get onto the MEng course, you'd be automatically considered for the 3 year option.

Does anyone know if this is common for all engineering departments, or does it vary with every one?

I'm predicted ABB so I know it is unlikely to get onto the MEng anyway but if you're automatically considered for Bachelors at all Uni's I figured why not?

Cheers
    It is generally the cause that whether or not you get to continue on the MEng route depends on your performance in some vital year. For me, it is decided in my third year. If I get a GPA of 13+ out of 16, then I am eligible for MEng, if I get 10 or greater, but less than 13, then I'm eligible for Beng, and if I get less than 10, then I graduate that year with an measly Ordinary BSc.

ReputationRep:
    you should be automatically considered for the BEng at all engineering schools.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard this to be true at Nottingham at least, it makes sense as many schools BEng is just the first 3 years of the MEng.

Yes, you automatically go to a Beng if you don't do well in your second year at university.In order to move on to a Meng in my university(Birmingham) we have to pass all our exams in the second year with the first try and also get a year average over 60% . Also Meng is more challenging because in the fourth year you should get a pass mark of 50% in each module and not 40% like a Beng. The good think is that you can have financial support from the Student Loans Co for all years of study. This does not happen if you do a Beng and study for a separate Masters degree, in this case you do not get a penny as a financial support from them(for the Msc part).

ReputationRep:
    Hi this is kinda off topic but I am predicted BBC I already have a D at one AS-Level (Now dropped) and am doing one in Further Maths
    if I meet my targets I should get 330 UCAS Points from all of the above. I am applying for MEng at Hertfordshire, however if I did not get the above grades could I move back onto the BEng before starting? (Even if I never originally applied for it?)

Thnx In Advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AZZAT345)
    Hi this is kinda off topic but I am predicted BBC I already have a D at one AS-Level (Now dropped) and am doing one in Further Maths
    if I meet my targets I should get 330 UCAS Points from all of the above. I am applying for MEng at Hertfordshire, however if I did not get the above grades could I move back onto the BEng before starting? (Even if I never originally applied for it?)

Thnx In Advance
    Without specific knowledge, the only response i or anyone can give is 'probably'. Most places that offer a 3 and 4 year couse allow people to switch between them quite freely from my experience. Although i would say don't take the subject lightly it very difficult. Try your absolute best at maths because if you can solidfy your a-level maths it will make your life much easier as it underpins everything you do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 14, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.