Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is your idea on this? (Can you do that?)

I'm applying for physics as a deferred entry applicant, and I'm planning to go back to my home country for gap year and study at a cram school there. I will recieve fantastic education while I'm there (it will be harder than A level work) and it will be a good experience so unis will (hopefully) like me for that.
    The main reason for this is that studying at my home country is what I've always wanted to do, and I don't feel ready for uni yet.

I'm almost certain that I won't be offered a place at Oxford this year although I've got A grades in all my subjects at AS, so my idea was to reject all my other offers to reapply next year then I will have a second chance at Oxford (although I'm not desperate to get in).

Or I'll accept my firm and insurance and by doing that I can postpone my decision but could I cancel my deferred entry offers once I've accepted them?

And... if I reject my offers this year (reject or cancel accepted offer), would I be disadvantaged if I applied to the same unis the following year?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm partially confused as to what you are saying.

Maybe you should make this decision after Oxford have made their decision and then you can see how you feel then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    I'm partially confused as to what you are saying.

Maybe you should make this decision after Oxford have made their decision and then you can see how you feel then.
    I'm applying for deferred entry, but I'm not confident of getting an offer from Oxford (the entrance exam).
    So if I don't get in, I might just reject all my offers from other universities and reapply next year UCAS 2011 so that I'll have a second chance at Oxford.
    But I don't know if I should do this - what would the other unis think, if I apply next years cycle after I rejected them the previous year?
    And I don't know whether I can choose my firm and insurance and then cancel it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarubobo28)
    I'm applying for deferred entry, but I'm not confident of getting an offer from Oxford (the entrance exam).
    So if I don't get in, I might just reject all my offers from other universities and reapply next year UCAS 2011 so that I'll have a second chance at Oxford.
    But I don't know if I should do this - what would the other unis think, if I apply next years cycle after I rejected them the previous year?
    And I don't know whether I can choose my firm and insurance and then cancel it.
    I think once you have chosen your firm and insurance, that's in and you've essentially entered a contract. So your decision date (some time in March-June) is the last point to change your mind (well you still have 15 days after that I think).

So that date is D-day for you. Maybe you should concentrate on your Oxford application until that decision has been made and discuss it with your friends, family and teachers about your future options. I doubt that you will be at a disadvantage applying again next year, unless your grades are worse than currently predicted (especially since you are still applying for a deferred entry).

ReputationRep:
    I was told you can't accept either a firm or insurance choice and then not go to either of them. If you aren't planning to go, drop out of the ucas cycle before choosing firm and insurance choices.
    If Oxford is what you want, apply this year and see if you get an offer, if not drop out of the ucas cycle and apply again for next year.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    I was told you can't accept either a firm or insurance choice and then not go to either of them. If you aren't planning to go, drop out of the ucas cycle before choosing firm and insurance choices.
    If Oxford is what you want, apply this year and see if you get an offer, if not drop out of the ucas cycle and apply again for next year.
    I'd say that was wrong. You don't have to go anywhere if you don't want to.

I think most places will be ok if you reapplied but why apply in the first place if you don't want to go?

I will recieve fantastic education while I'm there (it will be harder than A level work) and it will be a good experience so unis will (hopefully) like me for that.
    Education is poor here? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think once you have chosen your firm and insurance, that's in and you've essentially entered a contract. So your decision date (some time in March-June) is the last point to change your mind (well you still have 15 days after that I think).

So that date is D-day for you. Maybe you should concentrate on your Oxford application until that decision has been made and discuss it with your friends, family and teachers about your future options. I doubt that you will be at a disadvantage applying again next year, unless your grades are worse than currently predicted (especially since you are still applying for a deferred entry).
    Thanks for the info!
    But if I'm reapplying through UCAS next year it wouldn't be a deferred entry because I've already taken a gap year.

ReputationRep:

So that date is D-day for you.
    This is complete rubbish. You can withdraw from the UCAS system for a given UCAS cycle any time you wish, even after exam results have been published. You do not have to go to university if you don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    I'd cancel the application tbh. They'll be a bit annoyed if they give you an offer you make it firm or insurance and then you do it.

ReputationRep:
    What is your idea on this? (Can you do that?)

I'm applying for physics as a deferred entry applicant, and I'm planning to go back to my home country for gap year and study at a cram school there. I will recieve fantastic education while I'm there (it will be harder than A level work) and it will be a good experience so unis will (hopefully) like me for that.
    The main reason for this is that studying at my home country is what I've always wanted to do, and I don't feel ready for uni yet.

I'm almost certain that I won't be offered a place at Oxford this year although I've got A grades in all my subjects at AS, so my idea was to reject all my other offers to reapply next year then I will have a second chance at Oxford (although I'm not desperate to get in).

Or I'll accept my firm and insurance and by doing that I can postpone my decision but could I cancel my deferred entry offers once I've accepted them?

And... if I reject my offers this year (reject or cancel accepted offer), would I be disadvantaged if I applied to the same unis the following year?

Thank you!
    I don't really see why you are applying for deferred entry at all. You are actually putting yourself at a disadvantage in the admissions process and you just want to spend the year studying anyway. An admissions tutor will have to be absolutely convinced that he/she will not find sufficient better applicants in the 2011 UCAS process in order to offer you a deferred place so it's generally wise to avoid deferred applications unless you have very good reasons for applying a year in advance. Have you considered either (a) applying for 2010 entry and if you get a place just take it and start in 2010 or (b) don't apply, go and study elsewhere for a year and apply to Oxford (and others in the UK if you wish) this time next year for 2011 entry.

ReputationRep:
    I actually saw something about this on UCAS.

Obviously you won't have to go anywhere you don't want to. So apply to all of them, and if you miss Oxford then you have the option of choosing your Firm and Insurance.

If you do choose a Firm and Insurance, then if you met the offer the Uni you got into has the power to keep you bound to them through UCAS until you were meant to go.

So if you accepted, say, Bristol on a deffered offer, and met it, then in the period between that and the next UCAS applications round you have to ask Bristol to let you reject them for the purposes of re-application. They don't have to, they can keep you bound to them in the UCAS system until results-time that cycle, making it impossible for you to re-apply to a different Uni through UCAS that year. However, they might let you go off and re-apply.
    Obviously you wouldn't have to go to Bristol at the end of that year if you then didn't want to.

As for how it's seen by unis to reject and re-apply, I don't really know. However in this case I guess Bristol would have a fairly strong case for rejecting you if they worked out who you were...

So, in short, if you get rejected by Oxford, think seriously about whether you want to take up one of your other offers. If not, don't accept them.

Peace xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    That's what I was planning to do... but what would unis think about me reapplying after I rejected them in the previous year? Would they take me even if they feel suspicious that I might have only be interested in Oxbridge? I'm not taking a gap year to retake my exams and I don't know if I can still get into unis....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aethelred)
    I don't really see why you are applying for deferred entry at all. You are actually putting yourself at a disadvantage in the admissions process and you just want to spend the year studying anyway. An admissions tutor will have to be absolutely convinced that he/she will not find sufficient better applicants in the 2011 UCAS process in order to offer you a deferred place so it's generally wise to avoid deferred applications unless you have very good reasons for applying a year in advance. Have you considered either (a) applying for 2010 entry and if you get a place just take it and start in 2010 or (b) don't apply, go and study elsewhere for a year and apply to Oxford (and others in the UK if you wish) this time next year for 2011 entry.
    I don't feel quite ready for university next year and living in my home country is what I've always wanted to do.
    I made it clear on my personal statement that I want to strengthen my foundations in maths and physics with a different educational approach there and to broaden my options for the future as a bilingual.
    If I can apply for Oxford this year I don't want to waste my first chance of getting in (although I feel that this is highly unlikely)...
    Would unis know that I've applied and rejected the previous year if I reapply next years cycle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I'd say that was wrong. You don't have to go anywhere if you don't want to.

I think most places will be ok if you reapplied but why apply in the first place if you don't want to go?
    I want to know what I'm capable of first If I get into Oxford first round then yay.

(Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Education is poor here? :rolleyes:
    I find it quite poor, my school is useless. A-levels are dumbing down (fact) and I feel like I know nothing about my subjects :/

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.