Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be applying for the 6 year Medicine course this year but the thing is, I live in London but all of the universities I'm applying to are quite far away. I've just told my mum I'm going to send off my app today but she has is cry and semi-shout. I feel like I shouldn't apply now I know she doesn't want me to get into any of the universities because she wants to me to stay at home.
    Has anyone else been in the same situation? What did you do? I feel like crying, I feel guilty for going away but I know this is what I want

ReputationRep:
    apply anyway and face the decision of where to go if ou get any offers. your mum will get over it f you have to move far away, she will be too proud of you to be upset.

ReputationRep:
    She will eventually cope. I think she's just overwhelmed at the thought of you moving out, going to uni...etc.

Don't let her deter you from applying otherwise you probably will regret it in a week's time after the deadline has passed! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I guess it just feels like I don't have her support. It would have been nice if she supported me in the application, but she's against it. And I know I'll regret not applying, that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it! You and your mum will have time to get over the whole "you moving out" thing throughout the year. Trust me, if you get in your mum will be relishing the chance to tell everyone that her child is going to be a doctor. Don't let clingy parents come in the way of your dreams, you've gotta leave home at some stage.

ReputationRep:
    Your mum needs to let go of you and accept the fact you're old and wise enough to take care of yourself now. It's not easy for her but it's part of the process. Do not give up your goals for she needs to do this sooner or later either way, and it's not going to get any easier for her if you postpone.

ReputationRep:
    tek her wid you macca.

ReputationRep:
    i know this is prob not easy for either of you my mum was the same when i first moved away. you should try getting her involved in your application and explain why you have to come to this decision. if you show a high level of maturity and if she feels involved she is more likely to be supportive

ReputationRep:
    apply now, worry about it come results day in august

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, she could sell up and by a place in the city where you get into uni.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DownWorlder)
    I'm going to be applying for the 6 year Medicine course this year but the thing is, I live in London but all of the universities I'm applying to are quite far away. I've just told my mum I'm going to send off my app today but she has is cry and semi-shout. I feel like I shouldn't apply now I know she doesn't want me to get into any of the universities because she wants to me to stay at home.
    Has anyone else been in the same situation? What did you do? I feel like crying, I feel guilty for going away but I know this is what I want
    There's what you've said, you know you want to do medicine. Although it will be hard for you and your mum, she'll accept it and be really proud of you if you get in.
    You'll regret it if you don't apply, so try not to be too upset about your mum

ReputationRep:
    in the words of a capitalistic mentality drone :

'buy now..pay later'

*literally*

ReputationRep:
    Hey , tell her that you'll be back for the weekends
    and Xmas, and whenever you're free for a few days, you'll pop back and be with her
    Tell her that and she should understand
    Shes only doing this people (her mum i mean) cos she loves and adores you so much that she doesn't want you to go so dont misunderstand her for not wanting the best for you.
    subconciously, even if she doesnt yet realise it, she does want you to achieve the best in life, and you going for medicine pretty much seems that it , so well, go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DownWorlder)

I know what you mean, moving away after living with my family ( and were super close, to the point of feeling what the other person is thinking ). I'm just curious as to how I'm going to sleep in a bed that's not mine.
    I may be the only one but is anyone else afraid of going to sleep in the halls of residence ( unfamiliar place and all that )...?

ReputationRep:
    It'll be better to apply to places you're going to get into rather than one's which are nearer but you aren't. Plus you can always bail lateri nthe applications process (and be £19 poorer)

ReputationRep:
    it's your life! you'd regret if you didn't apply!

ReputationRep:
    equally though you might regret it if you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orihime)
    I may be the only one but is anyone else afraid of going to sleep in the halls of residence ( unfamiliar place and all that )...?
    I kind of feel the same way (what's more is that I'll be thousands and thousands of miles away from home! - thankfully, I have a few relatives there. ) but I'm hoping I'll get used to it after a while I guess it's just one of those things where you just have to suck it up and bear with it for a while :p: It's bound to happen sooner or later, anyway!

--

Btw can't you just apply and see whether you get offers first, and then decide later? You don't have to accept an offer, right? Keep your options open

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't even know where/if I've applied tbh, don't think they want me to disappear and grow up and move out :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Then why don't you apply to a uni in london?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 14, 2009

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.