Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    Walthamstow =)

(Walthamstow Central being one of the terminals on the Victoria Line)
    oh cool, do you go to W Festival a lot?

ReputationRep:
    Not really. But you can always sense when it's around =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    Not really. But you can always sense when it's around =)
    bet W residents can always sense when you're around

*sense of calm
    *sense of order

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seabiscuit)
    Ahh a London Underground newbie eh?

Get off at Euston and follow signs for underground.

Buy a ticket - Now you may need to get your savings out to pay for your ticket Zone 1 ticket or a travelcard. Try and use the automatic gates, watch what other people do then do the same. Follow the signs for the light blue line (Had to explain this to another person who'd never used the underground before), When you follow these, make sure you look for the Southbound platform of the light blue line.

Wait on the platform for a few minutes and depending on how bad the crumbling system is, your train should pull up to the platform soon enough (give yourself the whole afternoon in case there are delays). The front of the train and the platform indicator should read Brixton. Remember to let the passengers off the train first, as soon as the doorway is clear - its every man/woman for himself to get a seat. Most Londoners tend to spot target one just before the train stops and that is their aim.

Beware - if a seat is left empty by everybody else, there's probably a good reason for it. Check on the seat and below it and to the side. Will there be a tramp sitting next to you, is there vomit or any other unpleasantness on the seat? If not, take it and sit on it. You are now riding the London Underground. Do not smoke, Do not smile, Do not listen to your ipod loudly, Do not talk to other passengers or even look at other passengers - a glance is okay, anything more than a split second is asking for trouble. Adverts are fair game though, some of them are quite funny or bring a book/newspaper.

If you have to stand, beware of being in somebodie's armpits if you're short and besides you haven't got that long to go but it will still be hot, crowded and uncomfortable.

Remember to watch out for Victoria - its not hard to miss, the name will be all along the station wall, it would be announced and most people would leave the train at this station. Follow the signs for WAY OUT. If you do miss it and end up in Brixton, do not panic - it is very likely you won't be attacked. simply wait on the platform for the train to return in the opposite direction.

But remember, by the time you make your return journey, prices would have gone up again and you may need to take out a loan just to get back...
    lol thank you for the advice. My train ticket includes the tube fair so i don't have to worry about buying separate tickets.

I'm fine with public transport in general, it was just the getting off the train and finding my way to the right underground train that was worrying me, but i'll follow the signs for the southbound light blue line as you instruct and hopefully be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Seabiscuit, and everyone else, had no probs with the underground after your help, too bad my overall train journey was horribly long (4.5 hours!!)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yay! I survived! Luckily, I was with my boyfriend for the first few journeys, but I had to do it all by myself today.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.