Turn on thread page Beta

Why does my Clio only do 80mph? watch

ReputationRep:
    At 80mph (on a clear piece of road with no traffic or kids around) my Clio clocked up 40,000 on the rev counter. The Clio is supposed to have a top speed of 120mph, not that I would ever drive that fast anyway.

But at 80mph it sounded like my engine would explode. Is there anything wrong with the car? Is that normal?

ReputationRep:
    motoring section

and if you think it can do 120 because there is 120 on the speedo, the max speed on your speedo isn't the max speed of your car.

If however it's in the manual, then fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Is there anything wrong with the car? Is that normal?
    Yeah, you'v brought a ****, clapped out car...

ReputationRep:
    40,000 is an insane number of revs. Unless you're counting in revs per hour in which case you're not pressing on the throttle hard enough.

How old is the car?

think you mean 4000 rpm?
    what year/engine is it

You need to elaborate on exactly what Clio your car is (mainly engine and age). It'd need to be at least either be a 1.6 or 1.8 (depending on what year it is) to hit 120mph.

Edit: It's a 2002 according to another thread in which case it'd need to be at least a 1.6 petrol.
    In another thread you have mentioned a 1.2, assuming that's what you have (a 2002 1.2) it's either the 60bhp which gets up to 98mph or the 16v 75bhp which gets up to 106mph.

ReputationRep:
    It's protesting against your dangerous driving. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Won't do more than 106 anyway..and you need to hit redline through everygear to get a clio to over 100 lol.

ReputationRep:
    Because you're not a big man.

ReputationRep:
    Your speedo could be underreading.
    But really my Punto only does 100...down a hill :dontknow:
    Horsepower depletion? How old is the car?

ReputationRep:
    40,000 RPM, very noisy...are you aware of the process of changing gear?

ReputationRep:
    Another 40,000 rpm joke. Does your car have one of these in it.

ReputationRep:
    At 80mph (on a clear piece of road with no traffic or kids around)
    I like how you justify your law breaking :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJW)
    You need to elaborate on exactly what Clio your car is (mainly engine and age). It'd need to be at least either be a 1.6 or 1.8 (depending on what year it is) to hit 120mph.

Edit: It's a 2002 according to another thread in which case it'd need to be at least a 1.6 petrol.
    In another thread you have mentioned a 1.2, assuming that's what you have (a 2002 1.2) it's either the 60bhp which gets up to 98mph or the 16v 75bhp which gets up to 106mph.
    Very well researched. I suppose you know it's black, too, eh?

Yep, 2002 1.2l, and online encyclopediae say a Clio can get to a top speed of 120mph (not that anyone would justify going that fast), yet at between 70-80mph on the motorway, I have to lift off my throttle because I fear the engine will explode.

Maybe it's just an old car nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    Try in 4th, 5th is an overdrive and has bugger all turning force. You run out of torque in 5th, 4th is where its at.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a 1.3 ka and its top speed was 104mph never even manged to reach that on a long stright (private land before i get flammed). I think the max speeds must be with a racing driver and next to no fuel in it

Very well researched. I suppose you know it's black, too, eh?

Yep, 2002 1.2l, and online encyclopediae say a Clio can get to a top speed of 120mph (not that anyone would justify going that fast), yet at between 70-80mph on the motorway, I have to lift off my throttle because I fear the engine will explode.

Maybe it's just an old car nowadays.
    That's probably a Clio with a bigger engine, a 1.2 won't reach 120.

(Original post by L i b)
    Because you're not a big man.
    or maybe he is. that would be the problem.
    weight is a real performance killer :p:

ReputationRep:
    My Octavia's speedo is so ridiciously out at it's top speed that it claims it is doing 140mph... Realistically it's going about 120 at the most....

Ha my car does 110 comfortably at about 3,800RPM

ReputationRep:
    Yep, 2002 1.2l, and online encyclopediae say a Clio can get to a top speed of 120mph
    Then the online encyclopaedia is wrong. A 1.2 Clio will not do 120, expect around 105.

yet at between 70-80mph on the motorway, I have to lift off my throttle because I fear the engine will explode.
    Something is very wrong then.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 14, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.