Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

now my exams r over the school r starting 2 talk about ucas and unis. what university guide is the best 1? i kno there r quite a few u can buy.

also which leauge tables r the best, the times or guardian?

and does anyone have any other random tips?

thanks

em xxxx

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend you to buy the Times league table. The version one is also good too. The Guardian includes loads of details aobut universities and league tables. By the way, if you go to their website, it's online.

ReputationRep:
    Most people consider the times league tables to be more accurate than the guardian.

ReputationRep:
    in a university fair where you get all your prospectuses, i picked up the independent A-Z of universities which give you the key details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I wouldn't recommend buying any, your careers library should have the virgin alternative guide, push guide, times, brian heap etc etc etc...better to look through them all

http://www.studential.com/wiki/ow.as...ersityProfiles is pretty good too

The useful links sticky has links to a lot of these, and a few more besides
    and don't forget to use our very own uni guide to get a students view on it, and then you'll be able to see which members might be able to help you.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to not pay too much attention to them, especially league tables. They vary a lot and are not always a true reflection of how good the university is. Have a look at the Times subject tables if you want, but don't rely on them to make your decisions. Go on a few open days to get a feel for places you're not sure about, and get some honest opinions here on :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't use any League Tables to choose your universities, but the Sunday Times University Guide will have a short profile of every university in the country, and it will giver you some useful stats about each one. It usually comes out in September and is a supplement so all you have to do is buy the ST. Other than that use uni prospectus' ans websites as well as all the things PQ has said above.

ReputationRep:
    If you decide to buy the guides, they will not only include university profiles. They would include the types of courses they offer and how good they are, accomodation costs, food/drink costs, staff to student ratio, RAE score, etc... When you buy it, you get loads of information on those stuff. Some of the stuff like accomodation can be found on the university's website.

Don't rely too heavy on them for as lots of league tables have different opinions on each one. I would compare the course content from uni to uni to see which one would suit you.

As PQ said, borrow one from the careers library would be better, so you could save some money.

ReputationRep:
    Sunday Times is best followed by Times and then Guardian.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.