Turn on thread page Beta

Ideal Gas Equations Help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Could someone please help me with this question ?

Q. Two cylinders of volume V and 4V are connected by a capillary tube. Both are at 293K and contain air at atmospheric pressure. The larger container is heated until 373K. Calculate the final pressure of gas in the two containers.

I assume the mass of gas will remain constant so using pv/t = k I worked out two values of k (341 and 1365) taking v=1 and v=4. Where do I go from here ?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    when the cylinders are of different volumes than how come the mass of the gass in those cylinders will be same???
    use PV = nRT ( n is no. of moles.....the no of moles should be 4 times in the 2nd cylinder)...do like this

ReputationRep:
    where R is the gas constant at 8.314 J K-1 mol-1

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2009

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.