Turn on thread page Beta

Michael Jackson - This Is It watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Is "This is it" Michael Jackson's best song?
    Yes, it is an amazing song
    28.21%
    It's alright, not his best song...
    56.41%
    I don't particularly like it
    15.38%

ReputationRep:
    What do you think to his new record?

His death was so sad, he was a legend!

R.I.P MJ

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Ironically I think this is one of his best songs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaccyG)
    Whoo! Same here! When I first heard it this morning, I didn't know what to expect but it was fab!

ReputationRep:
    It's going to take me a few listens, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is amazing how he can still produce music after he's dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Amazing what money can do.

ReputationRep:
    amazing track.... MJ will always be alive in our hearts....

ReputationRep:
    I love this song :o:

lets hope that once all his this is it stuff comes out people will move on and drop the conspiracies etc :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I still feel sad when I hear a Michael Jackson song.. =(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaccyG)
    Its funny how he disregards some of his best tunes!
    there was something I heard recently cant remember whether it was on the news or not but some uncovered footage or tapes whatever showed that MJ didn't even want to release Thriller or Billie Jean and hated the whole album after Quincy Jones told him it was ****, until a last minute decision he let it go ahead, yay =)

ReputationRep:
    It's not a new record by miles. They needed a song to promote the film and basically found this in a box and they've built hype around it trying to pretend it's new material. When infact it's a 30 year old reject from the Destiny era. It's mediocre and MJ being the perfectionist that he was would've never released it in it's current state. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing his demos and I'm an absolute sucker for rare stuff, but it's not polished enough to be a first post-humous release. I could see it on the Ultimate Collection or something, but even that had demos which were a million times better.

ReputationRep:
    It is decades old but is sort of nice because it's a 'new' MJ style song so it's relevant because we're listening to it at the same time as were hearing a lot of MJs back catalogue.

I've only heard it on the TV but the main vocal quallity sounds like it's been enhanced from a demo tape so it's not brilliant. MJ recorded loads of home studio stuff over the decades with whoever was the biggest star at the time. Just for examples we're talking Mick Jagger and Freddie Mercury.

ReputationRep:
    Of course i don't think Britny spears or Soulja boy are good, silly people.

Im a Chopin man.

ReputationRep:
    Nice Review of Michael's voice on This Is It from MTV:

Michael was a hell of a singer.

I only say this because to the casual music fan, it might not be apparent. Whether it was because so much about him — his dance moves, his style, his swagger — was so dynamic, or because he rarely spoke above a whisper, or even because he frequently peppered his verses with vocal ticks (like those oft-imitated "Hee-hee's" ), Jackson remains one of the most underrated vocal artists in music history.

And that's a shame, because his voice was a wondrous thing, capable of reaching both towering heights (the final verse of "Rock With You" ) and depths ("Childhood" ). It was technical, but it was also decidedly human, too, full of pump-priming rage ("Man in the Mirror" ) one minute, tethered tenderness the next ("She's Out of My Life" ). It was a finely tuned instrument that, when unfurled, revealed all the pain and frustration and joy of Jackson's life ... a window inside the man's soul. It could stop you in your tracks and raise the hair on the back of your neck. It was something to behold.

But don't take my word for it. Just listen to "This Is It," the title track to Jackson's posthumous concert-film/double album that premiered at midnight on Monday (October 12 ). Because if anything, it's reinforcement of my original point: Jackson was a powerhouse vocalist.

The origins of the song may remain cloudy — it was reportedly written in 1980, in the fertile period between Jackson's Off the Wall and Thriller albums, and recorded in the mid-to-late '80s, in between the Bad and Dangerous albums — but really, none of that really matters: "This Is It" is a prime showcase for Jackson's prodigious pipes, which means that the best way to experience it — indeed, the best way to pay tribute to the man and his music — is to turn the volume up, sit back, and just listen.

Ignore the trilling strings, and the soft-jazz/light-funk backing track (which sort of make the song sound like Off the Wall's "I Can't Help It." )Block out the hype surrounding the song's release and the drama surrounding Jackson's death. Focus on those vocals — the way Jackson counts it in with a boyish "one, two, three, four," the way he glides from verse to verse with breathless, effortless phrasing, the lean-yet-heavy falsetto, the hint of gravel (and gravitas) is the verses, the soaring choruses — it's all there, untarnished by time or tabloids. And it's all wonderful.

In a lot of ways, "This Is It" might be the perfect Michael Jackson tune. And by that I mean, while it's by no means his best, or his most memorable, it might be his most representative. It's a mixture of his yearning early years and his messianic later period, and it shines a light on the best aspects of both: His voice.

Because, just in case you weren't aware, Michael Jackson was a hell of a singer.
    Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/162..._michael.jhtml

ReputationRep:
    I quite like it.

But MJ's best song was 'I want you back', with the Jackson 5. True.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Maybe he ghostwrote it :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn, he had a lung problem, but look at the way he's knocking out the vocals on this new rehearsal footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPj53p2-9ig

ReputationRep:
    I actually reaaaallyy really like it. I just feel sad listening to his songs.

:cry2:

ReputationRep:
    can someone post the link

ReputationRep:
    Personally I love it, it's not my favourite song of his, but it's no where near the worst. The first few lines a really catchy, and I love the overall feel of the record, even if the quality of the recording is a bit cruddy. Hopefully there will be some more releases like this, even if they are only demos - as anything that Michael sings is bound to be better than the rubbish in the charts at the moment!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.