The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Ok.let's expand the thread a bit...What particular things about the set up of the class room, the way teachers taught you and the set up of the school do you think adversley affected your education?

For me; I hated the fact that we were mixed with very disruptive pupils-our RE class was awful and i've had to teach myself for the last two years, and i hated the way we were taught in some subjects like english during our gcse course. For example;how our teacher wasted time with discussions and developing writing teachniques-now that's all well and good but not for a top set GCSE class- i had to teach my self most of the syllabus.
Divine89
Ok.let's expand the thread a bit...What particular things about the set up of the class room, the way teachers taught you and the set up of the school do you think adversley affected your education?

For me; I hated the fact that we were mixed with very disruptive pupils-our RE class was awful and i've had to teach myself for the last two years, and i hated the way we were taught in some subjects like english during our gcse course. For example;how our teacher wasted time with discussions and developing writing teachniques-now that's all well and good but not for a top set GCSE class- i had to teach my self most of the syllabus.

It was just the whole enviroment. I don't really consider school to be a friendly healthy enviroment to be in, and to be honest you can understand why people don't do well. Class sizes, it's impossible to treat every student as an indivdual and give them the attention they need. As I went through school the class sizes just appeared to get bigger. And people are constantly put down by others and it is not tackled at all. One of out senoir members off staff came into assembly and went on about teachers respect and swearing at teachers. Basically he said that 'no one deserves to go to work and be abused'. Which is totally right, so why is it norm for students? School doesn't do anything for anyones self esteem, thats why most are left gagging to leave.
Reply 62
soulsussed
It was just the whole enviroment. I don't really consider school to be a friendly healthy enviroment to be in, and to be honest you can understand why people don't do well. Class sizes, it's impossible to treat every student as an indivdual and give them the attention they need. As I went through school the class sizes just appeared to get bigger. And people are constantly put down by others and it is not tackled at all. One of out senoir members off staff came into assembly and went on about teachers respect and swearing at teachers. Basically he said that 'no one deserves to go to work and be abused'. Which is totally right, so why is it norm for students? School doesn't do anything for anyones self esteem, thats why most are left gagging to leave.

By God almighty! You art work i beautiful! would you consider selling it??
:eek: umm

It would depend on the price.
Reply 64
soulsussed
:eek: umm

It would depend on the price.

What sort of price are you looking at? Esp. for the hand
Not sure what its worth really. It's priceless to me, it would take alot of money before I'd part with it.
Reply 66
soulsussed
Not sure what its worth really. It's priceless to me, it would take alot of money before I'd part with it.

lol-hmm Fair enough-however if you change your mind plz plz plz PM me.
Divine89
lol-hmm Fair enough-however if you change your mind plz plz plz PM me.

Sure thing.
I like my school. I wish we had sets for more subjects though (we only have sets for maths). It was annoying when certain people kept disrupting French and English lessons (these were core subjects so you did these with your form group, and my form was rather rowdy at times).

We have very up-to-date computers at school, the library's pretty good, and some of the teachers are really nice. :smile: The sixth form centre is nice and I'll miss this school! I don't really care about uniform. Damn, now I have to decide what to wear everyday.
Reply 69
At GCSE our groups were fairly similar ability, not too bad... I walked into a bottom set French class and it was like Twycross Zoo...
I thought the situation would improve at A-Level but they've let ALLSORTS in... one girl in English spent a 1 hour essay writing a question about a book we've never studied... this really annoys me, and I've attached a letter of complaint to the annual questionnaire they give us telling them what I think.

Also... Form Period/PSHE

What a bloody waste of time

Another annoying thing... Science teachers lying to you in y9... then y11... then y12.. you always find out the year after that they didn't think you'd be able to handle the truth at a really young age! But it makes it SO much easier to understand if everything you've learnt is dismissed as wrong, and you need to start again!

Rant over.
uniforms... and arrogant year 8s (they're all fat) and have this superiority complex because they've managed to get through year 7.. RE.. PSE... PE... assemblies... etc...
The popularity. I've never really understood why everyone can't just be friends with everyone.
Reply 72
xlouisedoll
The popularity. I've never really understood why everyone can't just be friends with everyone.

What did everyone think of the school time period? coz we are quite different here. In USA there was a pilot scheme of making school start later, and apparently that improved results. However in countries like germany and all of north africa and the middle east school starts really early-like 7ish but finishes at 1? What does everyone think would have been the best system?
Reply 73
I think they start early and finish early to avoid the midday sun... I don't think they fiesta in spain anymore, but i'm pretty sure they don't go to school in the afternoon when it's hot. What were the hours in the usa? We're 9-3.30.
oilcan
I hated the way that coloured kids (sorry if I offend anyone but this was the case at my school) were allowed to get away with everything.

Personally, I found that I got caught more easily because my colour made me stand out more. For example, whole back row, all talking, I get picked on first because I stand out from everyone else on the back row...
Also, we had a racist teacher in our school (any black/asian/chinese person in the school of 2000 people will tell you the same, just you cant PROVE this, which is annoying, had a problem with him on parents evening too) so this made it worse.
Divine89
What did everyone think of the school time period? coz we are quite different here. In USA there was a pilot scheme of making school start later, and apparently that improved results. However in countries like germany and all of north africa and the middle east school starts really early-like 7ish but finishes at 1? What does everyone think would have been the best system?

lol well my school starts at 9 and finishes at 3 but we were used to that in primary school cause it was the same times, but we arrive at school at 8am and we can get breakfast or whatever we want fromt he canteen - and its actually better than the dinner we get lol!!!! xoxo
I actually never minded the cliques in my school because it separated people who acted like dicks made friends who were exactly like them etc.... also a lot of the popular girls n fellas in my school are really nice, best thing about my school is if someone has a problem with you they dont spread rumours, they just stay out of your way and dont talk to you
Reply 77
same at my school
Reply 78
i miss infant school times, 915-315 mon to thurs then 915-1230 on fridays! loved it!
tammy_girl
I actually never minded the cliques in my school because it separated people who acted like dicks made friends who were exactly like them etc.... also a lot of the popular girls n fellas in my school are really nice, best thing about my school is if someone has a problem with you they dont spread rumours, they just stay out of your way and dont talk to you

I don't partically like te atmosphere of not being able to talk to one person because they're part of that clique and you know they won't respond or it'd be awkward. I don't like cliques at all, there were even cliques in our sports teams, I think it creates a tense and unfriendly enviroment.

Latest

Trending

Trending