Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm really clueless about living out, say, in your second year. The advertised "student accomodation" that isn't halls on campus, is this usually owned by the university or privately owned and rented out? And in either case, would you *have* to be a member of the local university to rent it?

    These sound like stupid questions, but I just have no idea where to begin in order to achieve what I want... basically, my boyfriend will next year be at a university about 20 minutes away from mine, after a year out. He's never been interested in living in halls and knows I'm not enjoying it at all, and has asked if we could live together next year. I'd love to do this, but I don't know how I would go about it... How simple would it be?

    I'm not sure my questions even make sense, haha. Has anyone known anyone else doing this?


    More or less all student accomodation that isn't halls is privately owned. There are lots of agencies that specialize in student accommodation but you could probably just go through a normal estate agents as well.

    It's as simple as googling "student accommodation in <insert town here>".

    Not being a student at a particular university doesn't prevent you from living in a "student house" as long as the house is privately owned by a landlord rather than by the university - he can live where he likes. If he wasn't a student at all he would have to pay council tax, but since he is it doesn't matter.

    In other words, find a trustworthy letting agency in the town you want to live, and do some house hunting.

University open days

  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.