Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can't decide between these 2 colleges...what are your thoughts on them?
    Accomodation?
    Sports teams and facilities?
    Stereotypes/reputation?
    Does one recieve alot more applications than the other?

ReputationRep:
    Oriel! :woo: That's where I'm applying :p: Although in all honesty Oriel was my first choice and Lincoln was a close second. To my untrained mind they seem pretty similar...depends what your looking for though? :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Oriel has pretty good accommodation, mainly onsite, for all years of your course. We also have the usual array of sports clubs; football, hockey, rowing, squash, badminton, darts, snooker (girls and boys). Probably more, but I try to ignore that kind of thing.

Oriel has a bit of a rep as a private school college, though tbh, it's not that obvious to me. I went to state school until year 11, and private for sixth form, but there seem to be roughly equal amounts who went either to state or private.

Applications depend on subject. What are you planning on studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bridgetfryer)
    Can't decide between these 2 colleges...what are your thoughts on them?
    Accomodation?
    Sports teams and facilities?
    Stereotypes/reputation?
    Does one recieve alot more applications than the other?
    Honestly, I imagine Oriel and Exeter are generally pretty similar (central, relatively small etc.), but as for Oriel:

Accommodation - variable really. Some rooms are really very very good by first year standards (i.e. you can get ensuites if you want them) but others a bit rougher round the edges. Older, less fancy staircases have more people on them, though, so tend to be more sociable. First and second years all live on site in a variety of single rooms, sets and flats, with maybe just under a quarter of third years on-site too. The rest live in a modern annexe out in Cowley with decent kitchens, ensuites, squash courts and the like.

Sports teams/facilities - lots of different sports as per most colleges. We're a smaller college, so there's very much a 'get involved' atmosphere. Some teams have A and B teams, so you can pick how seriously you want to take things, but most are just generally happy to have anyone who wants to play, seriously or otherwise.
    Facilities-wise, we have a gym on site, but that is fairly rower orientated. TV room, JCR, music room, 24-hour library, college shop ... That's pretty much all really. But we're so central that anything you need day-to-day is in all likelihood 5 minutes walk away tops.

Stereotypes - Oriel has a very outdated reputation for being a private school college, but I think this is primarily due to the fact that we were the last college to admit women. This was 25 years ago! Nowadays it seems very balanced and it really doesn't matter where you came from.

Applications - it really varies from year to year, so I really wouldn't worry about it. Just go for whichever one you liked best. :yes:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.