Only £12 a week to live off. Watch

psychocustard
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok, I've had my loans in for the term, and I'm now left with the mighty sum of £12 a week with which to live on, although that's without buying my textbooks, which will probably leave me totally bankrupt.

My mum will buy me a £50 Tesco shop once a month, which I'm thinking I can live off quite well, but how do I cope otherwise? I don't pay anything for transport, as I walk everywhere, but getting home costs me about £25 so that's a rare occurence, and getting to my boyfriend's costs £14 return, although he's willing to help with that.

So come on TSR, what the hell do I do?
lemily
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In before the inevitable, get a job.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
psychocustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by lemily)
In before the inevitable, get a job.
Yeah, easier said than done. I've applied for about 30 jobs, and heard nothing back apart from one, which I can't get to :/
Becksy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Job (good luck, I am having problems with that).
Apply for more finance if you can
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you're getting money for food and don't need any for travel to/from university, you'll be fine.
lets_make_some_music
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
just keep trying on the job front
if your mum's paying your food then i guess thats not too bad.... what more do you want to spend your money on (apart from booze and people may buy that for you)
psychocustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by lets_make_some_music)
if your mum's paying your food then i guess thats not too bad.... what more do you want to spend your money on (apart from booze and people may buy that for you)
Going out once a week would be fine for me, but even then, that could quite easily eat up an entire's week budget. I've got to factor in laundry, too, which is £3.20 a time here, and then it's stuff like toiletries and fresh fruit and veg, which I can't just buy monthly.
Complex Simplicity
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by psychocustard)
Ok, I've had my loans in for the term, and I'm now left with the mighty sum of £12 a week with which to live on, although that's without buying my textbooks, which will probably leave me totally bankrupt.

My mum will buy me a £50 Tesco shop once a month, which I'm thinking I can live off quite well, but how do I cope otherwise? I don't pay anything for transport, as I walk everywhere, but getting home costs me about £25 so that's a rare occurence, and getting to my boyfriend's costs £14 return, although he's willing to help with that.

psychology memory experiments should get you an extra tenner a week. Beyond that, look into the uni for jobs maybe security, telephone fundraising ect- finally don't be afraid to ask people who are close to lend a helping hand. The uni maybe able to sort you out with more bursaries- talk to the finance office.
matrix15
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Beg, borrow and steal.

Beg for more help from friends/family.
Try and borrow from people you know will let the debt go.
Steal - well you probably shouldn't.
Plastic Manc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
are you good at cleaning? there's plenty of them jobs going
Apfel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Inb4 idiots suggesting prostitution. :awesome:
lemily
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, easier said than done. I've applied for about 30 jobs, and heard nothing back apart from one, which I can't get to :/
I felt mean the second I posted it, because I know it's not the easiest solution.

I would first of all think if you really need to buy ANY textbooks. Most set texts are available in the library (go soon and get them on six week loan) or are available in part on Google books. Or if you only need a page or two, I have regularly seen people blatantly reading volumes in Waterstones. Also, ask your tutors to post texts online and print them out at uni.

You obviously have no problems with food which is good. Remember to plan your meals (sure your mum will help) and put aside £10-20 per month for bread and milk and other little fresh bits that you will need.

Sell things. Books, clothes, other things. Ebay is your friend. Raid your family home for old mobile phones and send them off to one of those mobile places.

Look at your uni's job shop - often these will be jobs for a day or a week though some are part time. The money is often above minimum wage and can give you a boost of £200 now and again for a weeks work. You could also try volunteering and hope it leads to a paid position. Also lots of people hiring Christmas temps now. Find out your holidays and then apply for positions perhaps in your home town.

Get a good overdraft. You can either get a job to pay it off or you can ask for cash for christmas to put towards it.

Call in every single piece of money you ever lent and didn't ask for back.

Good luck. £12 a week after food and rent isn't destitute but won't buy you many drinks in the pub. Call in all your favours and charm people into buying you a drink based on your fantastic company.
yoyo462001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
20p "Lemonade" Will help.
lets_make_some_music
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Going out once a week would be fine for me, but even then, that could quite easily eat up an entire's week budget. I've got to factor in laundry, too, which is £3.20 a time here, and then it's stuff like toiletries and fresh fruit and veg, which I can't just buy monthly.

can you tutour people? local schools with A-Level students that may need tutouring?
NyLonEd
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Apfel)
Inb4 idiots suggesting prostitution. :awesome:
Hey, you'll never starve when you're sitting on a gold mine!
michaeljacksonisthebest01
Report 9 years ago

rahh is that all? mate start selling what u dont need on ebay lol or get a job. £12 is like nothing, i mean im a student too and i need at least £10 a day!! - £50 plus a week
psychocustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by lemily)
I felt mean the second I posted it, because I know it's not the easiest solution.

I would first of all think if you really need to buy ANY textbooks. Most set texts are available in the library (go soon and get them on six week loan) or are available in part on Google books. Or if you only need a page or two, I have regularly seen people blatantly reading volumes in Waterstones. Also, ask your tutors to post texts online and print them out at uni.

You obviously have no problems with food which is good. Remember to plan your meals (sure your mum will help) and put aside £10-20 per month for bread and milk and other little fresh bits that you will need.

Sell things. Books, clothes, other things. Ebay is your friend. Raid your family home for old mobile phones and send them off to one of those mobile places.

Look at your uni's job shop - often these will be jobs for a day or a week though some are part time. The money is often above minimum wage and can give you a boost of £200 now and again for a weeks work. You could also try volunteering and hope it leads to a paid position. Also lots of people hiring Christmas temps now. Find out your holidays and then apply for positions perhaps in your home town.

Get a good overdraft. You can either get a job to pay it off or you can ask for cash for christmas to put towards it.

Call in every single piece of money you ever lent and didn't ask for back.

Good luck. £12 a week after food and rent isn't destitute but won't buy you many drinks in the pub. Call in all your favours and charm people into buying you a drink based on your fantastic company.
Oh God, don't feel bad! It's difficult, but I do just need to keep trying. There's a student representative job for open days that I'm going to apply for, but that's only a few days a year. Still, whatever brings in the pennies, eh?

Textbooks are a pain in the arse. There's some that I simply do need to get, but I can use them for the other years, too. I can't get secondhand either, a lot of the time, simply because stuff's changed, and the lecturers are saying they're fairly useless... Arrrgh!

I'm going to student finance tomorrow to ask what I can do. Thanks though

(Original post by lets_make_some_music)

can you tutour people? local schools with A-Level students that may need tutouring?
I looked at tutoring, but a lot of people will only employ those who already have a degree in their subject, or already have teaching qualifications, which I obviously don't. Then I'd have the problem that I can only do humanities subjects, in specific areas
.:Gamble:.
Report 9 years ago
overdraft, 0% interest free till a year after u graduate

that how
ma2k5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Jobs are a funny thing. When you need a job - you can't get one. My situation, I no longer need a job - but have had 2 offers (1 this morning..) - and 4 interviews to follow :rofl:. I am wondering where these were months ago (when I actually applied -_-)
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (122)
41.92%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (90)
30.93%
I don't have an opinion (79)
27.15%

Watched Threads