Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nellz)
    I though it was 1hr 45. I spend the first 15 mins reading the sources and writing my checklists for the questions, then 30 mins on the first question and 1 hour on the second. Hopefully it will be enough.

Anyone else scared they've not done enough revision because of the heat today
    Definitely agree about the weather - it's awful :-S It was fantastic last week. Hope it gets a bit more cloudy and cooler (I sound like such a pessimist).

Good luck with tomorrow everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done a really good essay on Goering, or Goebbels, that they could post up? I have a lot of knowledge on the two but am really struggling to see how something so specific could relate into a 20 mark question. Most of the ones I have done are really wide topics such as popularity of the regime etc.

Also, can anyone help me with the resistance topic, I did an essay for it and my teacher's comment was that i focused entirely on why resistance failed and didnt mention any successes, what were the main successes of resistance? I have struggled really to find any cos they were all sufficiently policed/dealt with.

ReputationRep:
    I've done an essay on Himmler which basically goes something like "What factors explain the growth of Himmler's power". Presumably it is the same for the other 2.

With Himmler the factors are his personality (or lack thereof) and abilities/skills, his loyalty to Hitler and his working within the polycratic system. I would imagine you would apply the same factors to both Goebbels and Goring, just use different examples. For example instead of Night of Long Knives (polycratic system and loyalty) with Goebbels you'd just use Kristallnacht since that also proves ideological loyalty (anti-semitism) and polycratic system. Just make sure you have e.gs for all of them...

edit - also with resistance/opposition the strengths can be:

1. Had to compromise with the big institutions (e.g Catholic Church - Concordat, Army - Night of Long Knives)
    2. The very existence of opposition in the ideological sense is a "strength" because it meant the Nazis could not create a full Volksgemeinschaft - worker and SOPADE resistance.
    3. It was a constant annoyance and irritation (Catholic Church's preaching from pulpit, youth's rebellion, Bomb plot/Bonhoeffer)

All of these can probably meet their rebuttal (1 is the susceptibility to Nazification and the fact that it was only opposed to specific policies (Euthanasia) not ideology, 2. is that those organisations, if ideologically motivated, were weak and disorganised, 3. that it never became a real threat - no leader to unify them all) but the important bit is to realise that there *was* opposition and it was important by virtue of its existence. Really it ties in with one of the reasons that Hitler never fulfilled his "idealistic" vision of a Volksgemeinschaft even though he created a general consensus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reema)
    I've done an essay on Himmler which basically goes something like "What factors explain the growth of Himmler's power". Presumably it is the same for the other 2.

With Himmler the factors are his personality (or lack thereof) and abilities/skills, his loyalty to Hitler and his working within the polycratic system. I would imagine you would apply the same factors to both Goebbels and Goring, just use different examples. For example instead of Night of Long Knives (polycratic system and loyalty) with Goebbels you'd just use Kristallnacht since that also proves ideological loyalty (anti-semitism) and polycratic system. Just make sure you have e.gs for all of them...

edit - also with resistance/opposition the strengths can be:

1. Had to compromise with the big institutions (e.g Catholic Church - Concordat, Army - Night of Long Knives)
    2. The very existence of opposition in the ideological sense is a "strength" because it meant the Nazis could not create a full Volksgemeinschaft - worker and SOPADE resistance.
    3. It was a constant annoyance and irritation (Catholic Church's preaching from pulpit, youth's rebellion, Bomb plot/Bonhoeffer)

All of these can probably meet their rebuttal (1 is the susceptibility to Nazification and the fact that it was only opposed to specific policies (Euthanasia) not ideology, 2. is that those organisations, if ideologically motivated, were weak and disorganised, 3. that it never became a real threat - no leader to unify them all) but the important bit is to realise that there *was* opposition and it was important by virtue of its existence. Really it ties in with one of the reasons that Hitler never fulfilled his "idealistic" vision of a Volksgemeinschaft even though he created a general consensus.
    Oh yeah, you make some great points. Had sort of overlooked the resistance just because it was so poor. I mean even the SOPADE reports admitted that resistance was never going to gain mass support because for the majority of Aryan, compliant German there was very little to complain about. But yeah the ideas of compromise and the mere existence of SOPADE, the youth movements etc do show it.
    THANKS for your help really useful! Got an hour or so to cram it in to my head now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dptbrown13)
    Oh yeah, you make some great points. Had sort of overlooked the resistance just because it was so poor. I mean even the SOPADE reports admitted that resistance was never going to gain mass support because for the majority of Aryan, compliant German there was very little to complain about. But yeah the ideas of compromise and the mere existence of SOPADE, the youth movements etc do show it.
    THANKS for your help really useful! Got an hour or so to cram it in to my head now!

I hope you learnt it - funnily enough that actually came up in the exam

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.