Turn on thread page Beta

Should I drop A2 History? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's got that stage now where the A2 workload's getting heavy and I've just got my re-sit invoice and looking at history.

It was my worst AS subject and I got a C in it, however, I'm applying to study English at university and a lot of people say that I should keep with history as it's a writing based subject that'll be a huge benefit to me. But I also take Politics, which is also a largely writing based subject so it seems like I've got that covered.

My AS grades were:

English Language: C (re-sitting)
    Drama and Theatre Arts: B
    Politics: C (re-sitting one unit)
    History: C (would re-sit) :eek3:

I'm applying to Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Queen's. Do you think I'd be putting myself at a disadvantage if I drop history?

Any advice or pro's and con's would be great. I know at the end of the day it's my own decision, but any advice would really help me out.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    You're taking 4 subjects at A2, which is hard and very stressful. If you are going to retake the modules of english but carry on with A2, then you'll come out with the UCAs points of 3 A-Levels, plus an AS. If I were you, I would drop history, to give me time to revise for re-sits and A2s.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I was thinking, makes more sense really doesn't it? Plus the coursework in history this year is just annoying me lol.

Only problem is that my UCAS form has gone and I've listed history, but I suppose if I got in contact with UCAS then they'd sort that all out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metro2610)
    That's what I was thinking, makes more sense really doesn't it? Plus the coursework in history this year is just annoying me lol.

Only problem is that my UCAS form has gone and I've listed history, but I suppose if I got in contact with UCAS then they'd sort that all out?
    I'd honestly drop History. If you did better in politics, that's essay based so you should be fine. Don't give yourself more workload than needed, cash in that C and work on pulling up your A2 subjects. That's what I'd do, plus you have history c/w to contend with as well, etc.

Contact UCAS telling them you are dropping history, it can be done, do it quickly.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the coursework in History this year. I don't know if I'm doing the same as you (it's OCR) but it's just horrible.

ReputationRep:
    It's Edexcel, but it's terrible n'all haha. It's Civil Rights which usually interests me, but condensing almost 150 years of history into 2000 words is damn tough...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2009

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.