Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When applying on UCAS I cannot select Durham University -> Medicine A100 but rather I can onlly do Newcastle U -> Medicine -> Campus, Queens, Durham.

Is this the only way to apply to Durham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonkin)
    When applying on UCAS I cannot select Durham University -> Medicine A100 but rather I can onlly do Newcastle U -> Medicine -> Campus, Queens, Durham.

Yup

someone on here told me you could also apply directly to Durham. This is wrong.

ReputationRep:

For Medicine, yes. Queens Campus website

ReputationRep:
    Ok cheers, which is easier to get into guaranteed you meet minimum requirements and UKCAt 690 average?

ReputationRep:
    Neither.

ReputationRep:
    Apply to newcastle and write d in the campus code box.
    Durham isnt listed on UCAS as an independent medical school.

ReputationRep:
    690 average is way more than you need the cut off was 620 last year

ReputationRep:
    Ok cheers, which is easier to get into guaranteed you meet minimum requirements and UKCAt 690 average?
    Baically everyone gets interviewed by Newcastle, they select best 320 odd applicants then about 100 of those go to durham (don't look at which campus people have applied for until after selecting the 300 odd).

So it may be that only 50 out of the 320 who get offers actually want to go to durham. These people will automatically go to durham then people who put either newcastle or durham would go to durham as well to make up the numbers. And if there's still not enough people going to duham they will have to choose people, who originally wanted to go to newcastle, to go to durham.

ReputationRep:
    your actually interviewed by durham at the queens campus itself- also your divided into your campus before interview stage then after that the uni you have been assigned to deal with your application

ReputationRep:
    i applied to durham campus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScrubZ)
    Baically everyone gets interviewed by Newcastle, they select best 320 odd applicants then about 100 of those go to durham (don't look at which campus people have applied for until after selecting the 300 odd).

So it may be that only 50 out of the 320 who get offers actually want to go to durham. These people will automatically go to durham then people who put either newcastle or durham would go to durham as well to make up the numbers. And if there's still not enough people going to duham they will have to choose people, who originally wanted to go to newcastle, to go to durham.

FAIL and EPIC FAIL
    what actually happens is people who choose newcastle get sent to newcastle admissions and durham get sent to durham admissions. Those with no preference - im not sure how that works.
    Durham and Newcastle interview applicants seperately and give offers out independent of each other.
    Alternatively you can apply seperately to both durham and newcastle campuses - so its like being considered by both universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    FAIL and EPIC FAIL
    what actually happens is people who choose newcastle get sent to newcastle admissions and durham get sent to durham admissions. Those with no preference - im not sure how that works.
    Durham and Newcastle interview applicants seperately and give offers out independent of each other.
    Alternatively you can apply seperately to both durham and newcastle campuses - so its like being considered by both universities.
    OK fair enough I was kinda guessing there. But how come people applying for Newcastle campus sometimes end up getting offers for Durham and vice versa?

ReputationRep:
    OK fair enough I was kinda guessing there. But how come people applying for Newcastle campus sometimes end up getting offers for Durham and vice versa?
    Are you sure they were applying for the Newcastle campus, or did they state No Preference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    Are you sure they were applying for the Newcastle campus, or did they state No Preference?
    I was told by an admissions tutor there that they couldn't guarantee that everyone who gets offers would go to their preferred campus choice?

ReputationRep:
    What happens is if people put down no preference then they are allocated to a campus.
    Even then they only get one interview/rejection at one of the two.
    for example if your allocated to durham campus then you are interviewed/rejected and then accepted/rejected by durham. You cant be considered by newcastle and vice versa.
    Exception is if you apply to newcastle twice one specifying durham campus and the next specifying newcastle campus.

ReputationRep:
    What happens is if people put down no preference then they are allocated to a campus.
    Even then they only get one interview/rejection at one of the two.
    for example if your allocated to durham campus then you are interviewed/rejected and then accepted/rejected by durham. You cant be considered by newcastle and vice versa.
    Exception is if you apply to newcastle twice one specifying durham campus and the next specifying newcastle campus.
    'Every effort will be made to accommodate your preference, but your first choice cannot be guaranteed.'

Is what it says on the website, so I think you might be wrong?

ReputationRep:
    'Every effort will be made to accommodate your preference, but your first choice cannot be guaranteed.'

Is what it says on the website, so I think you might be wrong?

Im only a student there and have been through the application proccedure twice personally.
    Oh and at home ive advised school kids with the applications proccedure for medicine - but hey what do i know :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Im only a student there and have been through the application proccedure twice personally.
    Oh and at home ive advised school kids with the applications proccedure for medicine - but hey what do i know :rolleyes:
    Well I'm not a student there and I'm only on my first (and hopefully last =P) attempt applying but I'm just going by what it says on the website and what admissions tutors have told me.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.