Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, good news is that I just have to do this module and another module next year and then so long probability and stats.

Can somebody help me with this

1. Two cards are drawn, without replacement, one at a time from a pack of 53 cards.
    a) what are the probability that they are both clubs.

I'm guessing its this
    P(c|c) = \frac{P(c \cup c)}{P(c)} So

P(c|c) \times P(c) = P(c \cap c)

Then just work out P(c|c) and P(c)?

I don't really know why this works or if it works, but hey thats stats.

b) what is the probability the second card is a club,

I'm thinking something similar but with P(c|c^c) has to come in somehow, dammit.

P.S. Well, it looks like I should focus on rote learning i.e. do tons of example so I can do rules I don't understand.
    P.P.S. Although, the proofs are easy to follow its just the application of the stuff.

ReputationRep:
    It might be more helpful, rather than writing 'c', to write what you actually want:

\mathbf{P} (\mathrm{Second \ card \ is \ a \ club} | \mathrm{First \ card \ is \ a \ club}) = \dfrac{\mathbf{P} (\mathrm{First \ card \ and \ second \ card \ are \ clubs})}{\mathbf{P} (\mathrm{First \ card \ is \ a \ club})}

Alternatively, a tree diagram could help with this problem, if you're finding it tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Well, good news is that I just have to do this module and another module next year and then so long probability and stats.

Can somebody help me with this

1. Two cards are drawn, without replacement, one at a time from a pack of 53 cards.
    a) what are the probability that they are both clubs.

I'm guessing its this
    P(c|c) = \frac{P(c \cup c)}{P(c)} So

P(c|c) \times P(c) = P(c \cap c)

Then just work out P(c|c) and P(c)?

I don't really know why this works or if it works, but hey thats stats.

b) what is the probability the second card is a club,

I'm thinking something similar but with P(c|c^c) has to come in somehow, dammit.

P.S. Well, it looks like I should focus on rote learning i.e. do tons of example so I can do rules I don't understand.
    P.P.S. Although, the proofs are easy to follow its just the application of the stuff.
    P(c|c)

why are you using conditional probability? this is far simpler.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: is this really first year University level? It's barely much harder than the stats in GCSE Maths?
    Anyway, just draw a tree diagram showing the possible suits that the card drawn could be for each of the times a card is drawn, work out all the different possibilities and the probabilities of each of these, and then your answers should be easy to find from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    It might be more helpful, rather than writing 'c', to write what you actually want:

\mathbf{P} (\mathrm{Second \ card \ is \ a \ club} | \mathrm{First \ card \ is \ a \ club}) = \dfrac{\mathbf{P} (\mathrm{First \ card \ and \ second \ card \ are \ clubs})}{\mathbf{P} (\mathrm{First \ card \ is \ a \ club})}

Alternatively, a tree diagram could help with this problem, if you're finding it tough.
    No not a tree diagram. I'm lazy, but yeah thats what it meant so is that correct.

What about the other one? do you work at P(club| first not club) and just add it to it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    :lolwut: is this really first year University level? It's barely much harder than the stats in GCSE Maths?
    Anyway, just draw a tree diagram showing the possible suits that the card drawn could be for each of the times a card is drawn, work out all the different possibilities and the probabilities of each of these, and then your answers should be easy to find from there.
    Not a tree, the lecturer did it using conditional probability but sadly I didn't copy it because I thought I would be able to reproduce it later. Which, didn't happen. No, this is just one problem, to be fair I could do it with a tree diagram like when I did S2, but that would mean drawing a tree diagram and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    No not a tree diagram. I'm lazy, but yeah thats what it meant so is that correct.

What about the other one? do you work at P(club| first not club) and just add it to it?
    Sort of:

\mathbf{P}(\mathrm{2nd} = \mathrm{c}) = \mathbf{P}(\mathrm{2nd} = \mathrm{c} \cap \mathrm{1st} = \mathrm{c}) + \mathbf{P}(\mathrm{2nd} = \mathrm{c} \cap \mathrm{1st} \not= \mathrm{c})

= \mathbf{P}(\mathrm{2nd} = \mathrm{c}|\mathrm{1st} = \mathrm{c})\mathbf{P}(\mathrm{1s  t} = \mathrm{c}) + \mathbf{P}(\mathrm{2nd} = \mathrm{c}|\mathrm{1st} \not= \mathrm{c}) \mathbf{P}(\mathrm{1st} \not= \mathrm{c})

Seems a bit pointless using conditional probabilities though.

ReputationRep:
    For the first part, I guess you'd just do \dfrac{13}{53} \times \dfrac{12}{52}

For the second part, I'd add the probability of both being clubs and the probability of only the second one being a club. i.e. \dfrac{13}{53} \times  \dfrac{12}{52} + \dfrac{40}{53} \times \dfrac{13}{52}

That is ofcourse, assuming there are 53 cards in a pack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    Sort of:

P(\mathrm{2nd} = \mathrm{c}) = P(\mathrm{2nd} = \mathrm{c} \cap \mathrm{1st} = \mathrm{c}) + P(\mathrm{2nd} = \mathrm{c} \cap \mathrm{1st} \not= \mathrm{c})

= P(\mathrm{2nd} = \mathrm{c}|\mathrm{1st} = \mathrm{c})P(\mathrm{1st} = \mathrm{c}) + P(\mathrm{2nd} = \mathrm{c}|\mathrm{1st} \not= \mathrm{c}) P(\mathrm{1st} \not= \mathrm{c})
    Thanks, as I thought that was how you do it.

I will probably post later with other problems. So watch this space

P.S. I probably shouldn't bunk the problem classes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.