Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think people ever get over their first love? watch

ReputationRep:
    For example there are some people who are in their 30/40s who find their first love on facebook etc... and then end up rekindling the relationship sometimes, even if they are in a loving relationship/ married already.

Also a first love is significant as it is the first person who you ever felt the feeling of love for, the first person you shared all these feelings with...

Do you think that even though you may be 'over them' that when you see them again months/years later all those feelings and nice memories would rush back?

Perhaps people romanticise their first love all out of proportion.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'll get over it. Not in the sense that I'll always love him as that ship has long since sailed, but it opened my eyes to how much of a ******* some guys can be. I find it quite difficult to trust guys now and doubt I'll ever trust someone in the same way (which is probably a good thing, so in that sense he did me a favour).

ReputationRep:
    I've had many relationships but I refuse to believe in love...being the reason why they don't last very long :laugh: so in my case I have nothing to get over. From experience, it's the girls that tend to hold on to their first love memories..maybe guys do but they tend to talk about it less.

ReputationRep:
    Rawr well I'm engaged to my first real love so ermmmmmm I don't think I will!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepinkpowerranger)
    Rawr well I'm engaged to my first real love so ermmmmmm I don't think I will!
    awww! thats really cute!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because people don't stay 15 forever.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. People move on. I mean, you'll probably always REMEMBER them, and there will always be some kind of nostalgic sentiment towards them (hence why they sometimes end up back together later in life) but I don't think you only truly love once. The idea that there's only one person out there for you, ever, is just nonsensical. There's many people you could possibly be happy with; that said, you shouldn't let one go if you find them.

It's something I've been pondering a lot myself, lately.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know because I've never been in true love.

ReputationRep:
    Completely? No.

ReputationRep:
    I think so. He was a ****, it was nearly 3 years ago and I've been with my current boyfriend (love of my life!) for almost 2 1/2 years

ReputationRep:
    I think mine will always hold a special place in my heart, but wont dominate any other relationships i may have.

ReputationRep:
    i'm still with my first love- met in year 8 and now at uni so good times all around :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had my first proper love yet- as in, I've never dated someone for a long period of time and then fallen in love with them and had them fall in love with me. No, that kind of mutual love is not something I'll experience for a while I don't think.

The only experience I've had of love is my first proper case of infatuation... and even after nearly a year has passed, I'm still not even close to being over that. It pains me still almost everyday.

ReputationRep:
    She was a slut, a liar, and I haven't seen her since we split up. Does that answer your question?

ReputationRep:
    I thought I wouldn't...5 years later and I can safely say I'm completely over it :-)

ReputationRep:
    No, but i'd never get back with him. He's changed and i want to remember him as the boy i knew and have happy memories rather than ruining it with trying to get back to how it was and failing.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I will be able to =)

ReputationRep:
    I think you can be over over them and still think of the good times. With my first love, we had loads of amazing times and it was perfect. But then it all went downhill and the break up was bad but yeah, I can still think of the good times and thing "yeah it was fab" but then I realise my ex is a complete ****** and that weighs out the good times lol

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.