Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!
    I think over applying to Exeter (for IR) so I want to know a bit more about the uni atmosphere. What is it to be a student at Exeter (both the uni and city)? Is there something to consider before applying(the pros/cons)? I want to know what is it from the inside view, something more than what is in the website & charts.

It's all highly appreciated! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I went to the open day a few weeks ago and I really liked it. Its really spead out so I didnt see the whole thing, I went to the engineering building for a tour, a talk, a meeting with the postgrads and then a sample lecture. I was looking at computer science and I know it isnt great for comp sci but I still liked it. Im also considering doing IT management for business and its got a great business school.
    The union looked good and im sure I saw an outside pool too?

Yeah, I really liked it, it was a great place.

Oh and the city, well I had a quick look around and sat out for a coffee in Costa and went round a few shops and it was really nice, one of the nicer towns ive been around, although a few 'dossers'

ReputationRep:
    It's loverly The city's really nice, especially the area around the Cathedral. Clubs and bars are fine. Campus is beautiful, although the hills do take their toll eventually! But no, seriously, it's wicked here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrepressible)
    Hi all!
    I think over applying to Exeter (for IR) so I want to know a bit more about the uni atmosphere. What is it to be a student at Exeter (both the uni and city)? Is there something to consider before applying(the pros/cons)? I want to know what is it from the inside view, something more than what is in the website & charts.

It's all highly appreciated! Thanks!
    Friends who have visited tell me clubs are terrible, the town is boring, and the night life is generally akin to that of rural somerset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kultist)
    Friends who have visited tell me clubs are terrible, the town is boring, and the night life is generally akin to that of rural somerset.
    I totally disagree with your friends' views. No, the town is not boring at all. I visited Exeter on vacation in September and found a lot of shopping places there and there were many people at night along High Street ( on weekends) and you needed to queue up for a table at a popular restaurant. The night scene at the Cathedral area was awesome too. On Sunday morning, we went to the bridge and river near by and sitting at a coffee bar at the waterfront seeing a lot of teenagers rowing boats was really relaxing and spectacular. My friends and I think that Exeter is one of the most impressive UK cities we have been.
    We did tour round the University and the campus is beautiful too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karen123)
    I totally disagree with your friends' views. No, the town is not boring at all. I visited Exeter on vacation in September and found a lot of shopping places there and there were many people at night along High Street ( on weekends) and you needed to queue up for a table at a popular restaurant. The night scene at the Cathedral area was awesome too. On Sunday morning, we went to the bridge and river near by and sitting at a coffee bar at the waterfront seeing a lot of teenagers rowing boats was really relaxing and spectacular. My friends and I think that Exeter is one of the most impressive UK cities we have been.
    We did tour round the University and the campus is beautiful too.
    They said that the clubs were crap, not that people there didn't go clubbing.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter's a really nice city. The town is mostly new now and is really good. Nightlife is ok, not brilliant. Plenty of restraunts and bars though. Yeah there is an outside pool and the sport there is pretty good. I live there, now at lufbra uni, so can't really say what the uni there is like. Anyhow, there's lots going on in exeter and it's in a good location so I'd recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies about the city! But what about the uni atmosphere? I mean 1) student-student relations (close? not so?) 2) professor-student attitude
    I ask this because usually when I mention applying to Exeter, ppl are like "Really, it's unfreindly & snobby kind of rigid uni" and I'm like "Huh, really?" ... So, can anyone give some light to this?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies about the city! But what about the uni atmosphere? I mean 1) student-student relations (close? not so?) 2) professor-student attitude
    I ask this because usually when I mention applying to Exeter, ppl are like "Really, it's unfreindly & snobby kind of rigid uni" and I'm like "Huh, really?" ... So, can anyone give some light to this?
    Nooo, it's not like that at all. Everyone I've met has been really lovely & all the staff are really friendly too I feel like I've settled in really well. It's not as Rah-y as people say it is.

ReputationRep:
    I made many good friends at Exeter and even attended the wedding of two friends of mine who are Exeter alumni back in June. I'm also going to stay in a few places around the West Country over half term and three of the four people putting me up are friends of mine who were or are at the uni.
    Staff-student relations will vary at any uni but I definitely had contact with some really excellent lecturers who not only gave me lots of their time while I was there but were also able to write me really positive, detailed and helpful references for the master's course that I went on to do.

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to a computer science guy and he was really friendly, approachable and honest. He wasnt there to big the uni up and talk about how amazing it is. He answered everything really well and he even gave me and the people I went with a tour around the facilities, despite having other things to do (prepare for the sample lecture.) Not going there I dont know what the lecturers are like but him and the computing admissions officer were both good blokes.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in Exeter my whole life and I can tell you that as far as nightlife goes, the clubs shut at 1:30-2:30. Enough said. Just make sure you go to Timepeace or Arena for the best nights out though.

The shops are nice though, it's generally quite peaceful and pleasent. There's interesting variety down different streets like the more spiritual (and a bit hippyish to an extent?) Gandy Street, the more alternative Fore Street, a couple of Rah shops and we also have an All Saints. Yeah man.

I've also played sports on the university's courts and they're really nice. Good facilities and just today I saw an advertisement for a play being put on by the university's theatre. There's bars everywhere, it's quite safe, good prices and all the students I've met so far have been really cool.

A lot have also been hot. (Not like that matters...) but go for it I reckon.

So yeah, Exeter's a great uni and Exeter's a lovely city, just a bit less buzzy than anywhere like London or Manchester etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Same really i dont want to exaggerate but theres such a nice feel about people here, everyone is really nice here (im from london, so i can actually tell the difference), its a really nice city where you can pretty much walk most places, although if you hate hills then youll need to get used to them (i already am). I must say its not as Rah as people say but its still fairly Rah, the ammount of Jack wills/Hollister/A & F tops is so ridiculous in the first week id say 7/10 people were were either of them, but its died down a fair bit now. Overall i had doubt about coming to exeter since i heard there was like no black people (there are more than i thought) but regardless the atmosphere here is so nice that its so irrelevant now. As you can tell from my post im loving it down here

Guess, it's getting better every year. Happy to hear what you said, hell of rumours about Exeter being Rah-y are spreading out there. I almost put it down for ucas choice but then stopped myself because of them. I really want some good student spirit around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Same really i dont want to exaggerate but theres such a nice feel about people here, everyone is really nice here (im from london, so i can actually tell the difference), its a really nice city where you can pretty much walk most places, although if you hate hills then youll need to get used to them (i already am). I must say its not as Rah as people say but its still fairly Rah, the ammount of Jack wills/Hollister/A & F tops is so ridiculous in the first week id say 7/10 people were were either of them, but its died down a fair bit now. Overall i had doubt about coming to exeter since i heard there was like no black people (there are more than i thought) but regardless the atmosphere here is so nice that its so irrelevant now. As you can tell from my post im loving it down here
    Have you joined the Japanese society? :ninja: Perhaps I am confusing you with someone.

Also OP it is awesome here. That's all I can add!

ReputationRep:
    I had a strange situation starting at uni 2 weeks ago, but from what has happened since I can tell you the staff are willing to do just about anything for you ! Basically I'm a first year who is now a 2nd year. They let me skip my first year to go directly into the 2nd year, and within a week of being in exeter was shipped off to my year abroad in damascus, syria. Seriously the staff there (at least at the IAIS) are more than willing to help you in anything, no matter how big the problem seems. The uni has been VERY flexible with me, and extremely friendly, so I must say the people you have spoken to are incorrect !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlettroxane)
    I had a strange situation starting at uni 2 weeks ago, but from what has happened since I can tell you the staff are willing to do just about anything for you ! Basically I'm a first year who is now a 2nd year. They let me skip my first year to go directly into the 2nd year, and within a week of being in exeter was shipped off to my year abroad in damascus, syria. Seriously the staff there (at least at the IAIS) are more than willing to help you in anything, no matter how big the problem seems. The uni has been VERY flexible with me, and extremely friendly, so I must say the people you have spoken to are incorrect !
    How come you could skip the first year? If you dont mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THRASHx)
    How come you could skip the first year? If you dont mind me asking?
    I had an assessment and they said my level of arabic was beyond the first year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlettroxane)
    That's why I asked, people tend to be prejudiced without really having relevant information. Plus, it's all about personal preference and where you can find your place.

It's so great they let you do this, very understanding of them. Did you enjoy your time in Syria? I'd love to have experience abroad!

ReputationRep:
    That's why I asked, people tend to be prejudiced without really having relevant information. Plus, it's all about personal preference and where you can find your place.

It's so great they let you do this, very understanding of them. Did you enjoy your time in Syria? I'd love to have experience abroad!
    Yes I'm actually still out there now, only arrived last week eek ! It's wonderful here and learning so much. I'm so grateful to have this opportunity I think in general though, Exeter encourage students to spend time abroad as part of most degree programmes, through the erasmus scheme etc...

ReputationRep:
    Do you know the kinda of countries people are usually sent to? Or can it be anywhere?
    Id like to have a year abroad but I dont wanna end up in some terrible country where I cant speak the language, it doesnt help when I can only speak English :p:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

University of Exeter Guide

Accommodation profiles:

Fresh Student Living

Fresh Student Living

Fresh provide student accommodation across the country in a number of locations.

Quick Link:

Unanswered University of Exeter Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.