Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heya!

I'm applying for a course to start in 2010 in Ancient History.

At the moment I've decided on 4:

King's College
    Reading
    Royal Holloway
    Warwick

I'm hoping someone can recommend me a few more universities with good ancient history courses to look in to for my 5th choice

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    St Andrews. But the Classics department is better.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergrad...urses/V110.htm

BBB

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Cardiff and it's pretty good. You need at least BBB.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all for the replies!

Just looked at Cardiff and the Ancient and Medieval History course looks really good. However, it's very similar to the one at Birmingham. After looking at the most recent Times rankings, Birmingham is slightly better but not enough to help me make my decision. So basically now I need to know which one people prefer - lectures, social life, costs etc.

Thanks again for all the help!

x

ReputationRep:
    Bristol! http://www.bristol.ac.uk/classics/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiina)
    Thanks all for the replies!

Just looked at Cardiff and the Ancient and Medieval History course looks really good. However, it's very similar to the one at Birmingham. After looking at the most recent Times rankings, Birmingham is slightly better but not enough to help me make my decision. So basically now I need to know which one people prefer - lectures, social life, costs etc.

Thanks again for all the help!

x
    Also, remember that most people in Cardiff will be Welsh and most in Birmingham will be English. If you think you can stand three years around Welsh people then go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm applying for Ancient History at:
    Cardiff
    Bristol
    Birmingham
    Manchester
    Durham

If that's any help?

Also, it's an amazing subject!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Well, I'm applying for Ancient History at:
    Cardiff
    Bristol
    Birmingham
    Manchester
    Durham

If that's any help?

Also, it's an amazing subject!
    I know it is!
    Arghh now you've added another one to the mix lol! Which would you pick out of Cardiff, Birmingham and Manchester?

Blatonn, I feel like any other area is a foreign country!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiina)
    I know it is!
    Arghh now you've added another one to the mix lol! Which would you pick out of Cardiff, Birmingham and Manchester?

Blatonn, I feel like any other area is a foreign country!
    Sorry :o:

Well, all the courses are amazing IMO (otherwise I wouldn't be applying there!), but personally I'd go with Manchester - you can take Latin/Ancient Greek throughout your course (although Machester offer other languages) and you can take other modules from the classics & history/other departments. Yeah, I'm a bit of a fan of languages :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry :o:

Well, all the courses are amazing IMO (otherwise I wouldn't be applying there!), but personally I'd go with Manchester - you can take Latin/Ancient Greek throughout your course (although Machester offer other languages) and you can take other modules from the classics & history/other departments. Yeah, I'm a bit of a fan of languages :cool:
    I'd love to do ancient Greek or Greek so that's def put Manchester to the top of the 3. The websites for the other 2 are quite unclear so I wasn't sure whether they offered languages. Thanks loads for your help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiina)
    I'd love to do ancient Greek or Greek so that's def put Manchester to the top of the 3. The websites for the other 2 are quite unclear so I wasn't sure whether they offered languages. Thanks loads for your help!!

Brimingham - they offer Sumerian, Egyptian, Greek & Latin in the 2nd year.

Cardiff - not sure that they offer languages at all.

Not sure if that helps? I know that some of the websites are really hard to navigate, which is stupid - surely they want people to apply there?

ReputationRep:
    LOL, i'm applying for deferred entry- 2011 and I've applied for:
    Birmingham
    Bristol
    Durham
    Edinburgh
    Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    Brimingham - they offer Sumerian, Egyptian, Greek & Latin in the 2nd year.

Cardiff - not sure that they offer languages at all.

Not sure if that helps? I know that some of the websites are really hard to navigate, which is stupid - surely they want people to apply there?
    http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/hisar/degre...yba/index.html - they offer both Greek and Latin, and other languages can be taken through first-year electives. You're right about Ancient History at Birmingham, but it looks to me as though if you take East Mediterranean History instead, you can do a language for all three years.

Often it's better to look at department websites, rather than the general uni prospectus - they give a better idea about the exact modules offered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkd)
    http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/hisar/degre...yba/index.html - they offer both Greek and Latin, and other languages can be taken through first-year electives. You're right about Ancient History at Birmingham, but it looks to me as though if you take East Mediterranean History instead, you can do a language for all three years.

Often it's better to look at department websites, rather than the general uni prospectus - they give a better idea about the exact modules offered.
    Thanks! You have just helped me chose which uni I'm going to replace with Durham! (There was a 6th one). I don't know why I want to continue studying languages so much....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 16, 2009

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.