Turn on thread page Beta

Quotes from revision guides and quotes from Teachers? watch

ReputationRep:
    You know your're far too easily amused when you actually find Revision Guides entertaining.

Seriously, these revision guides make me giggle to myself. :rolleyes:

Forexample, above the genetics stuff in the Biology one: "It seems hard to believe that so many exceptionally combersome, excessively complicated and virtually unintelligible words can conceivably be necessary, or indeed be particularly desirable..."

Or the Chemistry one: "The Mole is really confusing. I think it's the word that puts people off. Its very difficult to see relevance of the word 'mole' to different-sized piles of brightly coloured powders." or on page 131 of the dark purple Triple Science Chem one "More gripping reactions involving acids. At least there are some bubbles involved here"

Or maybe I just am a truely sad person. :cool:

Anyone got any good quotes their teachers have come out with in order to help you to learn things? Anything else funny happen in your GCSE years? Maybe we could make a thread dedicated to funny things happening in your GCSE years.

ReputationRep:
    Are they CGP revision guides? They're great :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Seriously though although revision guides are dull, they do work. instead of just sitting there reading it, try writing at the same time, its how your mind works, transferring what you've read onto paper is quite good. I do that with all my physics formulas, Helped with maths especially. If you're tooootally sick of the site of guides then try websites, www.samlearning.co.uk is quite good in my opinion. "active learning" is the key to success, get your parents to test you on certain things, get used to being under pressure. Dont slack it off, not long to go

ReputationRep:
    "A slow puncture usually cures inflation"

ReputationRep:
    this one my geography teacher said when we were in year 7 made absolutely no sense and because of that i always remembered it

(Original post by Weird Geo Teacher)
    Remember Latitude is lengthways, because people with attitude lie down

so stupid i never forgot it, needless to say i didnt taking gcse geography, lol

ReputationRep:
    On genetics: "You'd think they could have come up with some slightly prettier names, as would befit this most awesome and wonderful moment, really. Your whole life, that great voyage of discovery and wonder, of emotion and reason, of conscience and consciousness, begins with that fateful and magical moment when...'two GAMETES fuse to form a ZYGOTE'...Ahh, what poetry..."

ReputationRep:
    There's one about revising by osmosis in the bio one - putting the book on your head. Ha ha ha...Ahem.

In the chem one, it keeps saying, "See the biology book for more details!" Gah, selling yourself or what??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Sian-)
    Are they CGP revision guides? They're great :cool:
    yes and yup!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    Seriously though although revision guides are dull, they do work. instead of just sitting there reading it, try writing at the same time, its how your mind works, transferring what you've read onto paper is quite good. I do that with all my physics formulas, Helped with maths especially. If you're tooootally sick of the site of guides then try websites, www.samlearning.co.uk is quite good in my opinion. "active learning" is the key to success, get your parents to test you on certain things, get used to being under pressure. Dont slack it off, not long to go
    Ach, I HATE Samlearning! The stuff I found was too simple and didn't help much! I just can't revise off the computer I prefer the paper-based revisiong guides, and noting things down like you said

Everything else you guys have come out with is also very true! the Chemistry CGP really does keep selling the Biology one like one the page about the Carbon Cycle.

Hahaha the zygote thing made me laugh. I read that in bio too

And mtbab... AWW!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sona)
    Ach, I HATE Samlearning! The stuff I found was too simple and didn't help much! I just can't revise off the computer I prefer the paper-based revisiong guides, and noting things down like you said
    My thoughts exactly sona, but if you're not up to reading and writing from a revision book then what can you do. The practise exams are good on there though arent they? Gives you answers and marks it for you.

ReputationRep:
    I use SAM Learning a bit, my school registered form it and apperntly it imporves your grade by a level if you spend ten hours per subject on it, whihc I think is rubbish. Tis a bit too easy! I love the CGP books though, I'm one of those easily amused people. My fave moment was a picture of a horse on a genetics page, with the caption "What am i doing here? I don't know?"...ledgendary. The best bits though have to be the random statements above the barcodes on the back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seifer)
    I use SAM Learning a bit, my school registered form it and apperntly it imporves your grade by a level if you spend ten hours per subject on it, whihc I think is rubbish. Tis a bit too easy! I love the CGP books though, I'm one of those easily amused people. My fave moment was a picture of a horse on a genetics page, with the caption "What am i doing here? I don't know?"...ledgendary. The best bits though have to be the random statements above the barcodes on the back.
    Personally i prefer the Letts books, too many cheesy little jokes in the CGP ones..

ReputationRep:
    Personally i prefer the Letts books, too many cheesy little jokes in the CGP ones..
    yeh defo, those books could be half the size and length without all the jokes, lol

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Lett's revision guides too. I find CGP guides too "in your face" and bright....I think the jokes are really corny as well

Oh well, I'm just boring!

ReputationRep:
    CGP revision guides are funny old things. They have stuff on the back like 'this book must be kept refrigerated' 'This book must be fitetd with a 13 amp fuse' 'CGP dating service- Never double book'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    yeh defo, those books could be half the size and length without all the jokes, lol
    lol tell me about it, near the end of year 11 teachers got us copying out of those books, people were copying down the bloody jokes as well, screws with your mind.

ReputationRep:
    Muscles are like hippies, usually found in pairs around a joint

ReputationRep:
    thats a good one, shame bio's gone now, and it never came up and i'm not taking bio nexy yr, but that is a good one tho, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Muscles are like hippies, usually found in pairs around a joint
    lol was that one in the CGP books?

ReputationRep:
    lol tell me about it, near the end of year 11 teachers got us copying out of those books, people were copying down the bloody jokes as well, screws with your mind.
    We must have copied out virtually all the notes from the CGP Business Studies revision guide, and we did most of the tests on each chapter aswell from it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.