Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey im a learner driver atm, on my 8th lesson in about 6 weeks or so and am learning in a diesel car, i bought a car recently (Peugeot 206 1.4) and it's a petrol car.

I've heard from some people that when you switch you end up stalling a lot at first but i'm not going to be switching per-say because im still going to be having lessons in the diesel car with my intstructor but i'll also be driving my car with one of my rents in the car.

Long winded post...i guess what i wanna know if theirs any tips when going from one to the other and also whats the actual difference in terms of driving..

Thanks if you read this, lol <_^

:driver:

Petrol when bringing up the clutch you HAVE to put power or you stall, with diesel as you will know you can take it so far past bite and it will roll.

It only takes 10 minutes to get used too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Petrol when bringing up the clutch you HAVE to put power or you stall
    Really? My car doesn't stall. Are you sure it's not just you?

(Original post by py0alb)
    Really? My car doesn't stall. Are you sure it's not just you?
    You can take your petrol car past the bite and get it to roll?

ReputationRep:
    Diesels have more low end torque so are less likely to stall, when pulling away. They also have more torque across the rev range meaning you won't need to stir the box as much as you do in a petrol. Saying that though i find that my mum's cars (previous one (320d) and new one (E250)) are more sensitive at low speeds when compared to my 1.6 petrol Focus petrol, but this may just be due to me being more use to the Focus.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I can sit on a steep hill and hold the car on my clutch using neither brake nor accelerator then pull away. I have had two petrol cars and before that a diesel, and could do it on all three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    Diesels have more low end torque so are less likely to stall, when pulling away. They also have more torque across the rev range meaning you won't need to stir the box as much as you do in a petrol. Saying that though i find that my mum's cars (previous one (320d) and new one (E250)) are more sensitive at low speeds when compared to my 1.6 petrol Focus petrol, but this may just be due to me being more use to the Focus.
    E250 :confused:

The new CGI or the CDI?

Because the CDI is only avaliable with a 7G Automatic Tranmission.

and the 6 Speed Manual is an option.

Why would anyone choose a manual in a Mercedes now-a-days? They make terrible manual transmissions, they admitted this.

ReputationRep:
    Smaller engined petrols you need to give it a bit of throttle when pulling away really, unless you are really gentle. Bigger engined petrols you will barely notice the difference pulling away.

Petrol cars are way cooler too. And petrol smells nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeonecalledJohnny)
    E250 :confused:

The new CGI or the CDI?

Because the CDI is only avaliable with a 7G Automatic Tranmission.

and the 6 Speed Manual is an option.

Why would anyone choose a manual in a Mercedes now-a-days? They make terrible manual transmissions, they admitted this.
    E250 CDI. They have started offering six speed manual as standard on the 250 as an autobox kills the company car tax band (goes from 18% -> 22%). With the extra cost of the auto box this translates to about another £600 a year out of taxed income. The E200CDI comes with the 5 Speed Auto and the E350CDI (the V6) comes with the 7 Speed. AFAIK the 6 speed manual in the W212 is a new box designed to not be so sucky.

ReputationRep:
    Ha, thanks for all the quick responses guys think i was fretting over nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sickojones)
    Hey im a learner driver atm, on my 8th lesson in about 6 weeks or so and am learning in a diesel car, i bought a car recently (Peugeot 206 1.4) and it's a petrol car.

I've heard from some people that when you switch you end up stalling a lot at first but i'm not going to be switching per-say because im still going to be having lessons in the diesel car with my intstructor but i'll also be driving my car with one of my rents in the car.

Long winded post...i guess what i wanna know if theirs any tips when going from one to the other and also whats the actual difference in terms of driving..

Thanks if you read this, lol <_^

:driver:
    I was the exact same as you, even down to the exact same car and engine size (206 1.4 litre :cool: ).

Anyway I had 2 lessons in my instructors diesel before I got my car. His car is easier to drive like setting off in his you don't need much revs (if any) unless your want to go really fast (like pulling out into a busy 60mph road).

When I got my car I kept stalling, but after a while I got completely used to it - it is just a little different.

My instructor says having a petrol car has made my clutch control very good, compared to most of his other pupils. I can set off in his car in third now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    I was the exact same as you, even down to the exact same car and engine size (206 1.4 litre :cool: ).

Anyway I had 2 lessons in my instructors diesel before I got my car. His car is easier to drive like setting off in his you don't need much revs (if any) unless your want to go really fast (like pulling out into a busy 60mph road).

When I got my car I kept stalling, but after a while I got completely used to it - it is just a little different.

My instructor says having a petrol car has made my clutch control very good, compared to most of his other pupils. I can set off in his car in third now
    I can set off in fifth in my petrol.
    Your point?

ReputationRep:
    what are you using in your engine, a turd?

ReputationRep:
    I can set off in fifth in my petrol.
    Your point?

Your point?
    My point is that driving a petrol helped me with my clutch control :confused: or can't you read?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    Your point?
    That was my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamski91)
    That was my point.
    That you can set off in 5th? If it was, then why would I car? Why are you telling me that?

What I said had a point to it (showing how a petrol helped me), yet you questioned it. What you said had no point in it in any way at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    That you can set off in 5th? If it was, then why would I car? Why are you telling me that?

What I said had a point to it (showing how a petrol helped me), yet you questioned it. What you said had no point in it in any way at all.
    K. Well like I said my point was that I can set off in fifth [inset some crap about clutch control here].
    There we go, now it's the same as yours!

ReputationRep:
    K. Well like I said my point was that I can set off in fifth [inset some crap about clutch control here].
    There we go, now it's the same as yours!
    I was helping the OP, you were just being a jerk :yes: Have fun driving around in 5th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGimpMan)
    it was his point!
    Well I stole it alright? >:|

ReputationRep:
    Well I stole it alright? >:|

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.