Turn on thread page Beta

grading system for MEI OCR?? watch

ReputationRep:
    im doing maths as level and further maths as level.
    for normal maths im doing C1 C2 S1
    and for further maths - M1 D1 FP1

some1 told me dat they arrange ur results in such a way dat u get da best possible grades :confused:
    but i read (somewhere!) that C1 and C2 have to stay with maths and FP1 has to stay with further maths????
    and da other 3 can be changed,

could some1 plz tell me wot they actually do???? :confused: how will they give me my grades

ReputationRep:
    If ur doing maths n further maths, they make sure you get teh highest grade for maths with the lowest number of marks. but u cant have modules like mech 1,3,4 in one, as you have to have ascending modules. But i think the pures/cores have to stay in the A level

ReputationRep:
    I know that for a maths A-level, you have to have P1-3 (or C1-4) and for further maths in the old system P4 (but I don't know the new system), and those are the only ones that can't change. In addition to that, there are limits on the number or '1' modules (eg S1, D1, M1) you can have in a maths/further maths a-level.

However, after all these rules, they jiggle about your modules so that you have the maximum grade for the normal a-level with the minimum marks.

Check out the website to get it in clear terms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darth_vader05)
    im doing maths as level and further maths as level.
    for normal maths im doing C1 C2 S1
    and for further maths - M1 D1 FP1

some1 told me dat they arrange ur results in such a way dat u get da best possible grades :confused:
    but i read (somewhere!) that C1 and C2 have to stay with maths and FP1 has to stay with further maths????
    and da other 3 can be changed,

could some1 plz tell me wot they actually do???? :confused: how will they give me my grades
    I've done near enought the same units as you have, haven't done M1 instead did S2.
    They arrange your results such that C1, C2 and S1 are considered only towards a normal Math A-level, (C1 and C2 are compulsary and cannot be moved)
    In further math they arrange so that all the pures are compulsary and cannot be moved hence FP1, D1, M1.

Obviously the more units you've done the better, as you get to choose which 3 units you want to enter for the A-level.

Btw, I'm retaking D1 and maybe S2, S2 was a horrible exam,
    OMG, a question in S2 was:

What is the chances of obtaining heads when you roll a dice? :eek: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vijay1)
    I've done near enought the same units as you have, haven't done M1 instead did S2.
    They arrange your results such that C1, C2 and S1 are considered only towards a normal Math A-level, (C1 and C2 are compulsary and cannot be moved)
    In further math they arrange so that all the pures are compulsary and cannot be moved hence FP1, D1, M1.

Obviously the more units you've done the better, as you get to choose which 3 units you want to enter for the A-level.

Btw, I'm retaking D1 and maybe S2, S2 was a horrible exam,
    OMG, a question in S2 was:

What is the chances of obtaining heads when you roll a dice? :eek: :confused:
    i dont understand :confused:
    u c im going 2 continue maths and further maths next year at A2.
    ill be gettin a sepertate AS grade for maths and seperate grader for further maths. but i know dat im gonna get crap in further maths cos i messed M1 and FP1. i have to enter all 6 units but im not sure whether they'll select the best possible combinations from all 6?????

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand :confused:
    u c im going 2 continue maths and further maths next year at A2.
    ill be gettin a sepertate AS grade for maths and seperate grader for further maths. but i know dat im gonna get crap in further maths cos i messed M1 and FP1. i have to enter all 6 units but im not sure whether they'll select the best possible combinations from all 6?????
    Well for the full A-level Math, you'll definitely need the combination of 6 units, let me just emphasise that because you'll continue math next year, your combination MUST include C1, C2, C3, C4 and you can choose which of the applied units to enter (S1, M1, D1, M3, M2, NM, S3)

Now for further math, because you'll continue for next year, you'll need 6 units which MUST include - FP1, FP2, FP3 and you get to choose which three of the applied units to enter (D1, M2, M3, S2, NM, S1, M1, S3)

More information about this can be found on the Mei OCR math Specification:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da...evel425831.PDF

ReputationRep:

thanks
    dat basically means im up **** creek :eek:
    i was hopin dat my c1 result could be used 2 give me a grade for further maths, cos i messed up M1 and FP1.
    dat basically means dat i have to get 100% in D1 :eek:

ReputationRep:
    thanks
    dat basically means im up **** creek :eek:
    i was hopin dat my c1 result could be used 2 give me a grade for further maths, cos i messed up M1 and FP1.
    dat basically means dat i have to get 100% in D1 :eek:
    Oh righty, Well I did very good in C1, and waiting for my results for FP1.
    I'm resitting D1 on monday :eek: , I need to revise.
    I've done, C1, C2, S1 in math and in f.math - D1, FP1, S2

Good luck for the D1 exam

ReputationRep:
    Well for the full A-level Math, you'll definitely need the combination of 6 units, let me just emphasise that because you'll continue math next year, your combination MUST include C1, C2, C3, C4 and you can choose which of the applied units to enter (S1, M1, D1, M3, M2, NM, S3)

Now for further math, because you'll continue for next year, you'll need 6 units which MUST include - FP1, FP2, FP3 and you get to choose which three of the applied units to enter (D1, M2, M3, S2, NM, S1, M1, S3)

Do you have a similar link for the old style MEI papers (P1-3 instead of C1-4 etc)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonja)
    Do you have a similar link for the old style MEI papers (P1-3 instead of C1-4 etc)?
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da...Gu92cHNBIu.pdf

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh righty, Well I did very good in C1, and waiting for my results for FP1.
    I'm resitting D1 on monday :eek: , I need to revise.
    I've done, C1, C2, S1 in math and in f.math - D1, FP1, S2

Good luck for the D1 exam
    how did u find da fp1 paper- i think it had 2 many 8 markers. i had a lesson 2day and my teacher started going through da paper wiv me :eek:
    i completely messed up da last question!!!
    i think c2 was ok but made silly mistakes

good luck for d1 'may da force be with u!! :cool: '
    i cant be bothered 2 revise!!!!

ReputationRep:
    how did u find da fp1 paper- i think it had 2 many 8 markers. i had a lesson 2day and my teacher started going through da paper wiv me :eek:
    i completely messed up da last question!!!
    i think c2 was ok but made silly mistakes

good luck for d1 'may da force be with u!! :cool: '
    i cant be bothered 2 revise!!!!
    FP1 wasn't bad, but that was the unit which I had least revised for so didn't expect any higher than a B. Your lucky u did the last question, I didn't even attempt it. And the graph drawing, I just copied it from my graphical calculator. The simultaneous equations: I didn't intend to get this wrong, but I was getting decimal values as x and y, and thought it was wrong, so crossed it off.

C2 was fine, and I'll have to revise for D1, (I feel guilty after the exam if I haven't revised) even if you don't revise, you need to practise the questions atleast.

My advice: Over the weekend practise some D1 questions, espicially Linear programming and networks questions.

ReputationRep:
    FP1 wasn't bad, but that was the unit which I had least revised for so didn't expect any higher than a B. Your lucky u did the last question, I didn't even attempt it. And the graph drawing, I just copied it from my graphical calculator. The simultaneous equations: I didn't intend to get this wrong, but I was getting decimal values as x and y, and thought it was wrong, so crossed it off.

My advice: Over the weekend practise some D1 questions, espicially Linear programming and networks questions.

i think dats da best advice ive had in yonks
    i definetly know dat a network will appear. im a bit dodgy on simulations and liner programmin
    i hope graphs dont *** in cos i dont know wot da hell theyre about- i was doing a past paper where u had 2 draw sommer and i couldnt!!!

didnt u get an error on ur calculator 4 da graph??? i kept on gettin an error so i drew sum wierd shape!!!
    i think u were supposed 2 get decimal values for the simultaneous equations one- cos u had 2 use da inverse (i think!)

i think i messed up S1 - i missed the last eight marks on the tree diagram question! but i really want an A in further maths (more than maths!!)
    i think cos everyone wrote me of when i said i wanted 2 do it and i want 2 prove 2 them dat i can do it

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! I did have a look myself first, honest!

just not very hard...

ReputationRep:
    i think dats da best advice ive had in yonks
    i definetly know dat a network will appear. im a bit dodgy on simulations and liner programmin
    i hope graphs dont *** in cos i dont know wot da hell theyre about- i was doing a past paper where u had 2 draw sommer and i couldnt!!!

didnt u get an error on ur calculator 4 da graph??? i kept on gettin an error so i drew sum wierd shape!!!
    i think u were supposed 2 get decimal values for the simultaneous equations one- cos u had 2 use da inverse (i think!)

i think i messed up S1 - i missed the last eight marks on the tree diagram question! but i really want an A in further maths (more than maths!!)
    i think cos everyone wrote me of when i said i wanted 2 do it and i want 2 prove 2 them dat i can do it

Same as, I want to do well in further math more. But I think that won't happen. Your right, simultaneous equations was solved by using the inverse matrix, I think I'll get about 2 marks in that question, as I did the working but didn't write the final answer. I didn't get an error for the graph! I just drew it, but don't think I'll get any marks, as I didn't do the working (for asyomptotes etc.)

S1 was fairly easy, the first few question I kept double checking, just to be sure not to loose any marks! I did finish all the questions, and thought it was fine.

But to be honest, math and further math are the subjects that I least care about, I also do Biology and Chemistry, and really want to do well in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonja)
    Thank you!! I did have a look myself first, honest!

just not very hard...
    No problem, happy to help

ReputationRep:
    Same as, I want to do well in further math more. But I think that won't happen. Your right, simultaneous equations was solved by using the inverse matrix, I think I'll get about 2 marks in that question, as I did the working but didn't write the final answer. I didn't get an error for the graph! I just drew it, but don't think I'll get any marks, as I didn't do the working (for asyomptotes etc.)

S1 was fairly easy, the first few question I kept double checking, just to be sure not to loose any marks! I did finish all the questions, and thought it was fine.

But to be honest, math and further math are the subjects that I least care about, I also do Biology and Chemistry, and really want to do well in them.
    hey snap!! i do bio and chem aswell!!
    i care about chem, but i hate bio. i think i failed dat. u c i thought dat ill revise da most for bio- get an A and drop!! but im never gonna get an A, cos i found all 2 papers mega hard
    chem went ok though.
    i care da most about maths and further maths cos i want 2 do maths at uni
    wot do u want 2 do at uni??

i think ur lucky dat u dont do mechanics- dat is da one i find da most hardest. i hate applied maths, im better at pure! ( i think so!)
    in all my maths exam i wasnt able to give my paper a proper check- in most of them apart from c1 and c2 i just finished da paper,

ReputationRep:
    so is the following combimations acceptable

maths: p1 p2 p3, s2, s3, NM

Further maths m1 m2 M3, p4, P5 and S1

only cos i did so well in p1 p2 p3 m1. s1 and M2 ( i hope. done exams recently). i aint done that well in NM so i was hoping to put NM with maths.

ReputationRep:
    hey snap!! i do bio and chem aswell!!
    i care about chem, but i hate bio. i think i failed dat. u c i thought dat ill revise da most for bio- get an A and drop!! but im never gonna get an A, cos i found all 2 papers mega hard
    chem went ok though.
    i care da most about maths and further maths cos i want 2 do maths at uni
    wot do u want 2 do at uni??

i think ur lucky dat u dont do mechanics- dat is da one i find da most hardest. i hate applied maths, im better at pure! ( i think so!)
    in all my maths exam i wasnt able to give my paper a proper check- in most of them apart from c1 and c2 i just finished da paper,
    Yeh Chemistry is becoming interesting, I seem to find Organic more interesting and easier to understand then inorganic, as I see the connections between different reactions, hence it becomes easy and fun to learn (all other people in my class find this hard! )

Biology, well I want to do something in the medicine field as my career, so may take on medicine. Biology Gentics exam was horrible, well I didn't revise, Physiology I found more easy, and think i did good in the exam (I know this is not always tru for everyone!)

I've heard different opinions about math at uni, such as math is very different at uni, I don't know how much of it is true, but its definitely true that you work less with numbers and more with symbols in uni math! :rolleyes:

Mechanics (M1), well thats actually the next unit we'll do for A2, haven't started yet, but looked at the books, it looks fine and interesting, its better then statistics!

I know what you mean about liking pure more then applied units, Same with me, but some people actually prefer things like S1 etc. obviously because its easy, pures hard for them as they say.

Finally, I can't wait to do mechanics, it sounds so interesting.

ReputationRep:
    No because you cant have S1 in further maths and have S2 and S3 in maths, you must have ascending numbers,

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 17, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.