Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My school offers RE and RS.

Full RS is basically two short courses: Hinduism and Christianity.

And RE is one short course, just lots of religions.

I do full RS. But apparently, our school is the ONLY one doing Hinduism short course. I find this really hard to believe, but apparently there are loads of different RS short courses like Buddhism, or Islam, so it apparently turns out that our school is the only one doing Hinduism?

What do you do for RE? Does anybody else do Hinduism short course?

Does anyone even do Christianity?

ReputationRep:
    yeh our school does all the rs short course and you just pick from y7 what you want to do, most people pick their religion and then those who dont have ones, usually just do christianity, we do

christianity,hinduism,sikhiam,is lam,judaism (we prob have buddism, but noone is buddist, lol)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah short course RE at my school is christianity, there are no other religions at my school, they're either athiests or christians. Some jewish though. but no hindus, muslims, buddhists......quakers.

ReputationRep:
    markus where is your school? cant be in a city

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    markus where is your school? cant be in a city
    no its a smallish town in Berkshire. Wokingham

ReputationRep:
    lol cool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    lol cool!
    lol yeah ultra cool. I'd rather live in the city, really would

ReputationRep:
    lol come to brum! wait a sec is that wokingham as in by winersh or however you spell it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    lol come to brum! wait a sec is that wokingham as in by winersh or however you spell it?
    YES it is it is, winnersh is basically wokingha. you been here then sire?

ReputationRep:
    We all do Christianity in our school and nothing but. Except in year nine, we went over the other religions shortly. Markus, our school's like yours...everyone's either atheist or Christian.

I would have liked to have studied Buddhism a bit more, I think it's quite beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    We do half a GCSE in Christianity and moral issues, which is usually just give your own opinion and a christian opinion on each of the topics. At our school most people are christian or athiests too. I liked studying budhism and abouriginal dreamtime, but we only spent 1 lesson on each of them and that was in year 9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    YES it is it is, winnersh is basically wokingha. you been here then sire?
    well ive been through it, on my way to reading, i was asleep on the train, i woke up as we coming into winersh station and i was like where is winersh (seriously didnthtink it was england ) and the guy behind me said were in berkshire but wokingham (like i knew where that was too, so when i got to my uncles (in reading ) i looked it up in map and found it,lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    well ive been through it, on my way to reading, i was asleep on the train, i woke up as we coming into winersh station and i was like where is winersh (seriously didnthtink it was england ) and the guy behind me said were in berkshire but wokingham (like i knew where that was too, so when i got to my uncles (in reading ) i looked it up in map and found it,lol.
    lol wooo funky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    lol wooo funky.
    lol slightly scary too, i was wide awake until we got to reading form then, lol

ANYWAY back on topic (no thanks to you mark, lol) umm yeh about that rs/re thing, its good, lol

ReputationRep:
    I did short-course RE. For some reason we only did Buddhism in class so that was the only religion I could write about. A little confusing lol

ReputationRep:
    I have done full-course RE (and love it so much- my teachers really rock) and we did Christianity and Hinduism.

I'm kind of confused, though, as you make it sound like the two religions are separate in full course?? We do both of ours in conjunction over the two papers...which board are you talking about? I'm on AQA.

ReputationRep:
    We do OCR full course. This course makes studying Christianity as compulsory and then allows the school to choose a second religion to study. My school chose Islam.

So, we do two exams (one Christianity and one Islam).

ReputationRep:
    My school offers 3 different courses in RE, but you do not decide which one you go on; this is dependent on ability.
    For the two tops sets, we do A full Course GCSE. This is AQA specification A options 1A: Christianity [which looks at the Bible, the Apostles' Creed, the Church, Rites of Passage amd the Christian year) and Paper 2A: Contemporary Issues from a Christian perspective (this looks at Racism, Distribution of Wealth, Abortion, Euthanasia, Marriage;Divorce;Re-marriage, forgiveness,just/holy war;terrorism; war and peace etc). Both papers lasted 1 hour and a half are are taken at the end of year 11. This course includes one piece of coursework from each option, making up 20% of the final mark. We got 1 hour per week to do this.

Sets 3,4 and some of 5 (out of 6) do the GCSE RE Short Course Phiolosophy[sp] and Ethics. This concentrates on Science and Religion, Religion, Peace and Judtice, the Nature of God and Medical Ethics. They take a two hour exam at the end of Y11 and get 1 hour per week time allocation. All issues are again studied from the Christian perspective only.

Finally, sets 5 and 6 do a Certificate of Achievement in RE, which I believe is 16 pieces of coursework instead of a formal written exam at the end. Again this is considered from the perspective of Christianity.

At my school, most people are agnostic although some would possible call themselves athiests. We do have some Christians though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sona)
    My school offers RE and RS.

Full RS is basically two short courses: Hinduism and Christianity.

And RE is one short course, just lots of religions.

I do full RS. But apparently, our school is the ONLY one doing Hinduism short course. I find this really hard to believe, but apparently there are loads of different RS short courses like Buddhism, or Islam, so it apparently turns out that our school is the only one doing Hinduism?

What do you do for RE? Does anybody else do Hinduism short course?

Does anyone even do Christianity?
    I don't know about previous years, but when i did GCSE RS last year, you could do Hinduism as part of the full RS course... in Year 10, it was aspects of christianity on various issues, i.e. abortion, euthanasia, marriage, divorce, etc, then in Year 11 you oculd choose a religion (usually your own). Most did Christianity, but some Judaism, Isalm and Hinduism.

It does vary from school to school, as well as from year to year, and of course different exam boards do different things - so maybe, just maybe, your school is the only one doing Hinduism...but i'm sure there is at least one other person in the whole of the country that is doing it, so i somehow think its an exaggeration!

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I did the AQA full RE course. We had 1 paper on Marks gospel, and one on christian issues and beliefs. So all christianity. I go to a cathloic school so I think they've plugged for the very christian paper!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.