Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently studying French alongside 2 other A2s. All of the universities I am looking at require AAA.

How can I ensure myself an A for French on the AQA examining body?

I have A in my other subjects. French has just tarnished it.

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    revise loads, do lots of outside work, learn a lot of vocabulary, read a french book, know your topic well...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    revise loads, do lots of outside work, learn a lot of vocabulary, read a french book, know your topic well...?
    :ditto:
    I'll add to Sia's methodology :love:
    If you could, get your teacher to practice with you your oral/speaking skills once a while.
    Also, having a crack at the past paper (or spec paper these days......) would be beneficial too :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolblergh)
    anyone?
    I don't know about AQA but here are my general French A2 tips (all from past experience of stuff I wish I'd done):

Use schaum's outline of French grammar. Has explanations of basically every French grammar point you could think of and exercises to practice. Get it and start working through it now; it will really improve your grammar and writing. I had one but it lay gathering dust for most of the year; I only starting looking through it a couple of weeks before the exam, and wish I had started sooner: gradually learning and revising everything so it becomes second nature.

Also watch a video from tf1 regularly; it will help your listening.

And read French news articles regularly to help with your general knowledge of the country and reading skills (look up and record any new vocab).

And speak to your family a lot in French even if they don't understand. And speak to your French speaking assistant (if you have one?) and to your classmates out of class.

Please please please do all of this; I wish I'd taken this advice so someone has to on my behalf!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    I don't know about AQA but here are my general French A2 tips (all from past experience of stuff I wish I'd done):

Use schaum's outline of French grammar. Has explanations of basically every French grammar point you could think of and exercises to practice. Get it and start working through it now; it will really improve your grammar and writing. I had one but it lay gathering dust for most of the year; I only starting looking through it a couple of weeks before the exam, and wish I had started sooner: gradually learning and revising everything so it becomes second nature.

And read French news articles regularly to help with your general knowledge of the country and reading skills (look up and record any new vocab).

And speak to your family a lot in French even if they don't understand. And speak to your French speaking assistant (if you have one?) and to your classmates out of class.

Please please please do all of this; I wish I'd taken this advice so someone has to on my behalf!!
    Hey! Thanks, this is great advice!! We have a speaking assistant, but I've yet to be acquainted with him. Also, I listen to French whenever I can, but I will give TF1 a go - definitely!

I am going to buy that book. It looks really good! Thank you very much. I need to minimalise my grammatical errors, because they inflict heavily upon my grade in the writing segment of the exam. :woo:

How much did you pay for yours?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Thanks, this is great advice!! We have a speaking assistant, but I've yet to be acquainted with him. Also, I listen to French whenever I can, but I will give TF1 a go - definitely!

I am going to buy that book. It looks really good! Thank you very much. I need to minimalise my grammatical errors, because they inflict heavily upon my grade in the writing segment of the exam. :woo:

How much did you pay for yours?
    I think it was £9.99 in Waterstones, so pretty good value (it's really long and very very useful). I would offer to sell you mine but I've already passed it on to someone else :p:.
    When you get it and start going through it, make notes and summarise the basic grammar points; this will help you remember it and you can stick the sheets all over your room so you see them every day.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was £9.99 in Waterstones, so pretty good value (it's really long and very very useful). I would offer to sell you mine but I've already passed it on to someone else :p:.
    When you get it and start going through it, make notes and summarise the basic grammar points; this will help you remember it and you can stick the sheets all over your room so you see them every day.
    Ahh no problem Mine arrived today, as a matter of fact!

So, when I get started with it, I will be sure to follow your tips Any other tips or guidelines when going through the book?

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Ahh no problem Mine arrived today, as a matter of fact!

So, when I get started with it, I will be sure to follow your tips Any other tips or guidelines when going through the book?

Thanks again
    Wow you actually got one :woo:

Umm I can't really think of anything else, other than summarising aspects in your own words and doing the exercises. I didn't actually write down all of the answers; I just did it in my head and checked the answers in the back to make sure I understood, but do whatever's best for you really.

And don't get too stressed about it, maybe do 1hr a week, starting with the aspects you find the hardest (and you don't have to learn all of it, as some of it is too advanced for A-Level I think, e.g. some of the tenses which I can't remember the names of - check with your teacher if you're not sure if you need to know something or not). Also don't leave the learning till the last minute like I did (as I've said to you previously)!

Good luck with your French! Looking forward to seeing what you get and I hope the book is useful to you .

ReputationRep:
    Wow you actually got one :woo:

Umm I can't really think of anything else, other than summarising aspects in your own words and doing the exercises. I didn't actually write down all of the answers; I just did it in my head and checked the answers in the back to make sure I understood, but do whatever's best for you really.

And don't get too stressed about it, maybe do 1hr a week, starting with the aspects you find the hardest (and you don't have to learn all of it, as some of it is too advanced for A-Level I think, e.g. some of the tenses which I can't remember the names of - check with your teacher if you're not sure if you need to know something or not). Also don't leave the learning till the last minute like I did (as I've said to you previously)!

Good luck with your French! Looking forward to seeing what you get and I hope the book is useful to you .
    :clap2:

Wouldn't the advanced tenses be good in an exam though, to show that you are able to use them?

ReputationRep:
    :clap2:

Wouldn't the advanced tenses be good in an exam though, to show that you are able to use them?
    I doubt it would get you any extra marks; focus on the important stuff you need to know. You don't want waste time on extra stuff when you can be practising the stuff you really need .

Perhaps it is just me, but I could never see movies on tf1 ... it kept on saying "inaccessible in your country ..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    Perhaps it is just me, but I could never see movies on tf1 ... it kept on saying "inaccessible in your country ..."
    I've just checked both the computer and the laptop and I could watch the tf1 videos on both... It must just be you :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 18, 2009

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.