Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I just got back from ice skating a while ago and I must have fallen about 100 times. :eek: I still can't hack it though!!

I wish I could ice skate nice and smoothly but it just never happened

So what do you guys and girls think? did you slowly get better? btw it was my first time

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've been skating for the last 14 years and trust me, it gets easier! The first few times are all about dealing with falling and getting used to the uncomfortable sensation of gliding rather than walking/running. Soon enough you'll get used to where you need to put your weight and when and where you should be applying pressure and "pushing off" the ice. Give it a few more tries and the basics will be strong enough for you to start experimenting with some different stuff ie going backwards, turning around, changing direction and stopping (by using the ice skate not by running into the barrier!). The level and rate of increase is different from person to person (it's harder for taller people- like me unfortunately!). Don't get frustrated by falling cos every time you fall you learn where NOT to put you weight and soon enough you'll gain control of your movements and be able to think about what your doing- rather than just trying to stay vertical! Bruises are your trophies!!

ReputationRep:
    i remember going with my mom when i was like, 5, and i fell over a hell of a lot. at once point i thought someone was going to chop my fingers off.

i go occasionaly now, still fall over from time to time.

ReputationRep:
    I've been like 5 times in my life. Each time its like 2 hours, in the first 1 to 1 and a half hours its just crap then you get it and then you leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZH89)
    aw yeah - thanks for the reply. Towards the end I kind of picked it up but then i'd lose it again!! i'll keep trying :yes:

and 14 years wow that's alot of experience!!

No problem! Yeah, i'm at uni now though so don't have the time to go any more which is a bit frustrating because it had been such a huge part of my life and i had competed nationally when i was younger so it's a bit weird now i've just sort of... stopped!

Such a great sport though, well worth getting into cos it teaches you a lot about self control because sometimes, the harder you try, the harder it gets and you just have to learn to accept that and use it to your advantage! It's all about feeling- you have to be relaxed and just trust yourself in what you're doing. It sounds like you went in and out of "feeling it"- as if you suddenly realised you were doing ok and then, because you were thinking about it too much, it went away! Don't worry, it'll become much more natural as time goes by and there's limitless things you can try, so there's lots of targets to aim for to keep you motivated :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Get new blades zubair....

Oh, wait a moment, hmmm.. somethign fishy?

ReputationRep:
    i go at least once a week but i dont do any of the jumps and spins and stuff like that.

get my hockey skates on and do some proper fast skating. takes about 6 months i'd say to become competent - ie, you can go fast, don't fall (except very rarely), can skate backwards fairly well, can stop quickly etc

ReputationRep:
    I was pretty good my first time, that makes me sound a bit stuck up! But hey, I think there are certain skills people have, you probably just need to practice more! I used to dance so I had a decent amount of balance (and 'grace'.. apparently) any way which is the kind of thing you need for ice skating. Have you tried rollerblading for practice? Easier than going to the rink if you just want to get better.

ReputationRep:
    tray youtube to learn i was like you in my first time

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.