Turn on thread page Beta

Important note for anybody (trying to) apply for DSA benefits... watch

ReputationRep:
    ...this is taking me back to November '04 when I had big problems with Pearsons & the LNAT exam. I won't talk about that, but anyway...

Anyway I filled in my student loan application form, as you do, being sure to fill in the stu8ff about being disabled. I even got a letter from my doctor to send, briefly explaining my condition.

A little later I got something back from them with my Art ID & password etc.. I thought everything was fine, but some weeks later I hadn't received anything from the DSA. Let's not forget that this private company are new. Disabled student benefits used to all be centralised.

So I thought I should call them up to make sure everything was ok and that I wasn't supposed to sak for an application form... and they told me I wasn't even on their list, or in their files, or anything! So where that bloody letter from the doctor is nobody knows (although at least I've got copies). They said they'd call back later... they never did.

Anyway at last they've sent me the application form after I called (arrived the next day... coincidence? probably not). The form itself is pretty all over the place. Apparently I now have to send it to my university for them to fill in a page and sign. Not really fair that I should have to pay for the stamp, but that's okay.. I can deal with that.

Seeing as they still hadn't called back I phoned them up AGAIN. And again I wasn't no their list, or in their files! I mean what the bloody hell is going on in these places!? Again, they said they'd callback. Again, they didn't. If anybody knows to whom I may address a complaint... rep to them.

If I hadn't taken the initiative to call them up and TELL them to do their jobs properly I'd be stuck with no benefit at all, and I'm sure there will be others out there trying to apply for similar benefits who have been mistreated like me.

Just a warning to any other TSR'ers out there like me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear what a muck up they made with your application.

I had no trouble at all applying for mines. Everything went to the right people as it should , no muck ups or waiting around and assessment, payment and equipment were all straight forward and went well too.

Hopefully things will be better next time you have to reapply.

DSA is awarded by your LEA.

Your initial application form for Student Loan has a question asking whether you wish to claim Disabled Student Allowance. If it is ticked the LEA should send you a form to claim DSA, asking for details of the condition and evidence from your GP or Consultant on how the condition affects you.

Provided the LEA is satisfied they will award DSA - if you are already at university you should contact your 'Learning Support' or similar for an assessment. They will work with you to ascertain what your needs are. There is a 'pot' of money available to pay for whatever is decided you need. This can cover things from computer equipment and peripherals, to help with note taking, personal care, extra expenses incurred due to your condition - up to the sum total available from your 'pot'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    DSA is awarded by your LEA.

Your initial application form for Student Loan has a question asking whether you wish to claim Disabled Student Allowance. If it is ticked the LEA should send you a form to claim DSA, asking for details of the condition and evidence from your GP or Consultant on how the condition affects you.

Provided the LEA is satisfied they will award DSA - if you are already at university you should contact your 'Learning Support' or similar for an assessment. They will work with you to ascertain what your needs are. There is a 'pot' of money available to pay for whatever is decided you need. This can cover things from computer equipment and peripherals, to help with note taking, personal care, extra expenses incurred due to your condition - up to the sum total available from your 'pot'.
    Thanks but I don't see how this relates to my original post

(Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Thanks but I don't see how this relates to my original post
    I was not commentating on your personal issues but rather trying to be informative on correct procedures to enable other potentially entitled students to recognise immediately if their application was not being dealt with accurately.

I also wanted to make it clear that the claim to DSA was made through their home LEA via their Student Loan Application. It is not always immediately obvious to students that they might be entitled to DSA. and if in doubt they should claim!

Here's two links for those with interest - first is for Scottish students and the second, a link to Dfes website on DSA.

http://www.student-support-saas.gov.uk/disabled.htm

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsuppor...with_d_1.shtml

I hope others will find this useful!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.