Turn on thread page Beta

Strange subject combos at A Level watch

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone out there who did the following combo?

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, English.

After 2 years of A Levels, I have yet to find a single person who is doing the same combo. Does anyone else have any weird mixes of subjects?

ReputationRep:
    i've got Drama and Thatre Arts, Philosophy, Media studies and...

chemistry?
    now THAT was a stupid choice!

ReputationRep:
    I certainly do maths and english - it made my timetable go all funny because hardly anyone takes them both!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    i've got Drama and Thatre Arts, Philosophy, Media studies and...

chemistry?
    now THAT was a stupid choice!
    Well for the risk of being controversial...you NEEDED another non-mickey mouse subject in there

ReputationRep:
    I assume you're looking to do Maths at uni, those barring English form the typical mixture for a hopeful mathematician... but hang on to English, it develops skills which may almost certainly benefit your degree study. I think I remember one person at my Girton interview with that mixture... or was it King's...

I am also hoping to do Maths, my mixture is 1.5*Maths, Economics, Politics and Accounting. Probably the wierdest mixture for a Maths man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Well for the risk of being controversial...you NEEDED another non-mickey mouse subject in there
    Is that a sarcastic dig at Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    OOOOHHHH!!!!!! handbags at dawn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    Is there anyone out there who did the following combo?

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, English.

After 2 years of A Levels, I have yet to find a single person who is doing the same combo. Does anyone else have any weird mixes of subjects?
    Excellent Choice.

ReputationRep:
    I chose Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Computing (and gen.stud but that compulsory anyway).

i am thinking of doing physics at ox next year, are these subjects ok and will not have me at any hinderence whatsoever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Is that a sarcastic dig at Philosophy
    I prepared for that one..hence the "another"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piggsy_123)
    I chose Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Computing (and gen.stud but that compulsory anyway).

i am thinking of doing physics at ox next year, are these subjects ok and will not have me at any hinderence whatsoever?
    Well you have Physics, a good start! Yu also have Maths, always helps. Your others are academic and rigourous (I've heard as much for Computing, and I've experienced as much for Economics), so all in all a nice mix.

ReputationRep:
    I prepared for that one..hence the "another"
    Meow, I like the Adhsur logic well developed by the Philosophy lessons: "If I don't do it it's mickey-mouse...", jokes!

ReputationRep:
    good thinking.... but i'm sure u meant the other non mickey mouse subject as Media Studies...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piggsy_123)

hello maskall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    hello maskall
    hi mate, hows it going?

ReputationRep:
    Meow, I like the Adhsur logic well developed by the Philosophy lessons: "If I don't do it it's mickey-mouse...", jokes!
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'll have to teach you a lesson...!

ReputationRep:
    last year our college had 3 faculties, and i'nmthe only 1 i know who had lessons in each faculty. I did maths, psychology, philosophy + economics (i now dropped economics). i think it's a really good mix, but other people seem to find it weird.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'll have to teach you a lesson...!
    No, not that!!!

ReputationRep:
    I did English, Economics, Maths, Further Maths, I.T. When you get to uni, a lot of arts people assume that those who do sciences are incapable of stringing a sentence together on paper. Telling them you did at least as well at English as they did challenges a couple of assumptions.

On the other hand, I assumed that people who do arts subjects are completely incompetent at anything numerical. I have since learnt that two people I know here who do English both also got A grades for A Level Maths (:

ReputationRep:
    No, not that!!!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.