Turn on thread page Beta

House mate moving out of our student house watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hey guys,

    A house mate has decided to move out of our student house and into other accommodation. We have all signed a contract, so where does this leave the rest of us with regards to paying rent? Is she legally obliged to pay her share for the remainder of the contract? I know that my other house mates are unhappy about finding and having a stranger as a new housemate.

    Cheers for any advice.

    The same thing happened to my friend and they were obliged to continue paying the rent, but they managed to find someone after about a month.

    In my house we advertised and got someone who none of us knew. He turned out to be the nicest guy in the world! Don't be so negative about it, see it as an opportunity to make a new friend! xx

    You will need ro read your contract.

    You may well be liable and have to fill the gap.

    Or the one who left may be liable for paying the contractually agreed rent for the contractually agreed period.

    If you sign a contract, try and read it first... :rolleyes:

    Yeah, check the contract (or if you can't be bothered just ask the landlord). In most student contracts where I was at uni, each person had an individual obligation, so if one person moved out they would have to pay their rent and they couldn't just duck out of it. In fact, each person had to put down a "financial guarantor" when they signed their contract (mostly parents), so if they decided to stop paying that guarantor would have to make it up.

    Tell your housemate that he/she should be the one finding a housemate. By the way, in my final year of university I lived with three people I didn't know previously and it was really fun!

    As the others have said it depends on your contract - whether you signed a joint tenancy agreement or whether you each have individual contracts. Either way it seems unfair of your flatmate to duck out of the responsibility of helping to find someone to take the room.

    Get in touch with your uni's accommodation office ( or similar) they can usually give you lots of advice about where you stand because they've seen it all before. They might also be able to put you in touch with someone looking for a room!
    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    You need to check your contract, but he may have to pay rent until he finds someone to take over his room.

University open days

  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.