Turn on thread page Beta

The Guardian is gagged from reporting parliament watch

This is utterly appalling. The Guardian has been ordered not to report a parliamentary question that's being asked this week.

The question is: "To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, what assessment he has made of the effectiveness of legislation to protect (a) whistleblowers and (b) press freedom following the injunctions obtained in the High Court by (i) Barclays and Freshfields solicitors on 19 March 2009 on the publication of internal Barclays reports documenting alleged tax avoidance schemes and (ii) Trafigura and Carter-Ruck solicitors on 11 September 2009 on the publication of the Minton report on the alleged dumping of toxic waste in the Ivory Coast, commissioned by Trafigura."

Basically, these boys Trafigura have been dumping **** off the Ivory Coast, the matter's been raised in parliament, and Carter-Ruck have sued to gag the Guardian from publishing it. Travesty!

ReputationRep:
    wow, what a wonderful country we live in.

ReputationRep:
    I'm truly not surprised Carter-**** are just about the scummiest law firm in the country (sue me!) you should read private eye, they stuff they get up to is ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    The oil incident itself makes your skin crawl thinking of those corporate greedy t'wats.

"Ooh yes the free market will protect the environment" **** off you dumb libs.

But yes the gagging is outrageous, a sad day indeed, I've been posting this on to people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munro90)
    I'm truly not surprised Carter-**** are just about the scummiest law firm in the country (sue me!) you should read private eye, they stuff they get up to is ridiculous
    Haha, Carter-****

Private Eye five!

ReputationRep:
    This will be something called a without notice prohibitory injunction. The basic idea is to stop the publication of anything that is libellious before it reaches trial. That kind of injunction won't last more than 7 days - The Guardian will very shortly get a chance to have it discharged. It isn't permanent.

Indeed. Not to mention that through the joys of twitter and the blogosphere, the question, the perpetrators, and the fact that they tried to gag it, has exploded to thousands more people than would ever have heard a somewhat obscure parliamentary question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alasdair)
    This is utterly appalling. The Guardian has been ordered not to report a parliamentary question that's being asked this week.

The question is: "To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, what assessment he has made of the effectiveness of legislation to protect (a) whistleblowers and (b) press freedom following the injunctions obtained in the High Court by (i) Barclays and Freshfields solicitors on 19 March 2009 on the publication of internal Barclays reports documenting alleged tax avoidance schemes and (ii) Trafigura and Carter-Ruck solicitors on 11 September 2009 on the publication of the Minton report on the alleged dumping of toxic waste in the Ivory Coast, commissioned by Trafigura."

Basically, these boys Trafigura have been dumping **** off the Ivory Coast, the matter's been raised in parliament, and Carter-Ruck have sued to gag the Guardian from publishing it. Travesty!
    That is truly revolting...but how did you find the question? Wikileaks?

(Original post by Bobo1234)
    That is truly revolting...but how did you find the question? Wikileaks?
    It's all over Twitter and the blogs. Guido Fawkes has it, as well as the Third Estate and some others.

ReputationRep:
    I've been enjoying this all morning on Twitter. Gag fail if you ask me.

It's still an absolute joke, though.

@arusbridger at the guardian has just tweeted this: "Victory! #CarterRuck caves-in. No #Guardian court hearing. Media can now report Paul Farrelly's PQ about #Trafigura. More soon on Guardian.."

Yay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alasdair)
    It's all over Twitter and the blogs. Guido Fawkes has it, as well as the Third Estate and some others.
    I've done a little extra reading now on the oil dumping incident, and I don't know a huge amount about law, but is it so normal for Trafigura (or any company's) lawyers to become so ferocious in defending their version of events if they are correct? Surely the was in which "They launched a libel case against BBC Newsnight, forced a "correction" from the Times, demanded the Guardian deleted articles, and ... tried to gag journalists in the Netherlands and Norway with legal threats" (quote from guardian) is an over-reaction if they truly were innocent?

IMO, they're most likely guilty as hell and they should face severe penalties!

(Original post by Bobo1234)
    I've done a little extra reading now on the oil dumping incident, and I don't know a huge amount about law, but is it so normal for Trafigura (or any company's) lawyers to become so ferocious in defending their version of events if they are correct? Surely the was in which "They launched a libel case against BBC Newsnight, forced a "correction" from the Times, demanded the Guardian deleted articles, and ... tried to gag journalists in the Netherlands and Norway with legal threats" (quote from guardian) is an over-reaction if they truly were innocent?

IMO, they're most likely guilty as hell and they should face severe penalties!
    Trafigura employed Carter-Ruck, who are notoriously aggressive about these things. The late founder of the partnership was pretty much the inventor of the modern culture of libel as it currently stands...

ReputationRep:
    Carter-f*ck got rucked!

Wait...is that right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toaster Leavings)
    The oil incident itself makes your skin crawl thinking of those corporate greedy t'wats.

"Ooh yes the free market will protect the environment" **** off you dumb libs.
    Wait, so the having governments in charge of the legal system regarding this has solved the problem then? It isn't like this is a new thing, this has been going on for years and still government has not been able to solve the problem.

ReputationRep:
    I was truly appalled by this Trafigura scandal. They went to no end to try and dump illegal oil residues instead of cleaning them up as they should have done under European Law.

I'm not a Guardian reader, but I'm glad that justice has been served. Go Guardian!

ReputationRep:
    Victory for the interwebz!!!

ReputationRep:
    "CARTER-RUCK TO SUE EVERYONE"

Comedy genius

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.