Turn on thread page Beta

hi any psychology experts out there plz help watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    im not doing it on which gender is smarter im doing it on which gender preferes to be smarter within a relationship
    hm...then honestly not sure how you can do that in experiment. Only way I can think of is through interviews but that would be too indepth for an A level coursework, maybe you should consider something easier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexangel262002)
    Firstly, a questionnaire is a non-experimental method,as for the IV that is what you manipulate(change), your DV is what you measure(results).
    are u sure dat a questionaire is not an experiment? coz i will be manipulaing the IV which is gender as ill be asking females and males (2 different groups in the questionaire) soz for arguin lol but its just i feel that u know best

ReputationRep:
    The thing is a study isnt truely an experiment unless you can RANDOMLY assign your particpants to the two conditions - and your two conditions would be female and male which you obviously can't randomly assign people to. However, you might get away with this for A level - ask your teacher maybe|?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    The thing is a study isnt truely an experiment unless you can RANDOMLY assign your particpants to the two conditions - and your two conditions would be female and male which you obviously can't randomly assign people to. However, you might get away with this for A level - ask your teacher maybe|?
    ok thanx . ive decided to do 'is one gender stereotyped as being more intelligent than the other' instead.

but cannot think if an experiment lol. a questionaire would be easy but like u said would not be classed as an experiment. can u think of any experiment ideas. soz if im bothering u lol. i know im supposed to do all this but ive tried to think myself but cant come up wiv anythin decent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    ok thanx . ive decided to do 'is one gender stereotyped as being more intelligent than the other' instead.

but cannot think if an experiment lol. a questionaire would be easy but like u said would not be classed as an experiment. can u think of any experiment ideas. soz if im bothering u lol. i know im supposed to do all this but ive tried to think myself but cant come up wiv anythin decent
    Using the definition of experiment I gave above no study into gender differences can be a real experiment....however it is classed a quasi-experiment I think - check that first though! and when I asked my teacher about doing a gender differences study she said it would be ok to class it as an experiment. So if you did a questionnaire and counted the amount of people who percieved females as being more intelligent than males and vise versa then analysed those resuls I would think it would be fine. However, before you start make sure you can find previous research to use inyour introduction and can think of some applications of your study to use in your discussion. Both these things are vital to get high marks and sometimes I think its easier to work backwards at these things.

Our teacher told us not to even start thinking about doing a study unless we can find at least 2 previous studies into a similar area (you need these for the introduction) and a reason why we are doing our particluar experiment (such as a "gap" in the research)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    Using the definition of experiment I gave above no study into gender differences can be a real experiment....however it is classed a quasi-experiment I think - check that first though! and when I asked my teacher about doing a gender differences study she said it would be ok to class it as an experiment. So if you did a questionnaire and counted the amount of people who percieved females as being more intelligent than males and vise versa then analysed those resuls I would think it would be fine. However, before you start make sure you can find previous research to use inyour introduction and can think of some applications of your study to use in your introduction. Both these things are vital to get high marks and sometimes I think its easier to work backwards at these things.

Our teacher told us not to even start thinking about doing a study unless we can find at least 2 previous studies into a similar area (you need these for the introduction) and a reason why we are doing our particluar experiment (such as a "gap" in the research)
    yeah thanx. uve helped loads when u say use some applications of ure study for the introduction wot exactly do ya mean though.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry typo - i meant applications of your study for the discussion - my mistake. ie how can your study benefit people in the real world/does it highlight a need for further research etc etc etc....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    Sorry typo - i meant applications of your study for the discussion - my mistake. ie how can your study benefit people in the real world/does it highlight a need for further research etc etc etc....
    ooooh ok lol. thanx did u have to write an iv and dv though for a questionaire, also do u have to say wot sort of questions u used ie covert and how many questions did u put on it
    soz this is the last question then i'll shut up lol

ReputationRep:
    Yes, in your method you need to give very precise, exact instructions of how you did EVERYTHING. You cant get full marks for the method section (or close to it) unless someone can replicate the experiment exactly from what you have said - and they couldnt do this without knowing all about the questionairres. Also say breifely how you came up with the questions. Are you doing AQA? If so look on the website and download the mark scheme, I presume other exam boards have them on their websites too. If you need the link, I've got it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    Yes, in your method you need to give very precise, exact instructions of how you did EVERYTHING. You cant get full marks for the method section (or close to it) unless someone can replicate the experiment exactly from what you have said - and they couldnt do this without knowing all about the questionairres. Also say breifely how you came up with the questions. Are you doing AQA? If so look on the website and download the mark scheme, I presume other exam boards have them on their websites too. If you need the link, I've got it.
    again thanx a lot yeah im doing AQA trouble is lol i cant think of many questions but i'll get there eventually. thanx for helpin loads

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.