Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Wondering if anyone could help. After hours trawling the net I have been unable to find any useful information from the Student Finance...So was hoping someone on here could give me some info about finance?
    Basically, I have a Undergrad degree am hoping to apply next year to start the four year graduate entry Vet course at RCV.
    I have spoken to my LEA, who have informed me that they were providing maintainance loans, but not fee loans for students. However, the LEA said that I should contact Student Loans Direct, who are now making loan decisions, rather than the LEAs....but I cant get through at all to them.
    I have however tried the student loans calculator on their site, which gives you an estimate of how much you may be entitled to. Anyway after filling in all the info, including that I already have a degree etc, and what and where I would study, the result was that I should get a maintainance loan AND a fees loan..... I dont know if this is right however, as it is only an estimate from them.
    I am so confused about what I am entitled to, and I need to know so I can decide when to apply, or whether I need to work for another year or two to save up....
    Does anyone who has applied recently or is applying this year know what we might be entitled to under the new system??
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll only be entitled to the maintenance, but i agree it sounds very confusing!! Banks also do career development loans which are applicable for normal medicine, vet medicine, law and possibly some others, so they would be worth looking into. Are you not applying to any other unis that RVC? isnt that a little risky?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for the reply. If I don't get a student loan for the fees, then RVC is the only place I could really go....Because they charge £3225 for fees, other places (Edinburgh,Liverpool etc) charge approx £20,000 for fees if you are a grad. I could save up for a certain amount but never be able to pay £20,000 a year!! Obviously if there was a loan for fees, I would want to apply to four...one of the reasons i need to know where i stand!

ReputationRep:
    You can only get a maintenance loan. You won't get a maintenance grant or any help with fees for a second degree in vet med.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenies)
    Hi, thanks for the reply. If I don't get a student loan for the fees, then RVC is the only place I could really go....Because they charge £3225 for fees, other places (Edinburgh,Liverpool etc) charge approx £20,000 for fees if you are a grad. I could save up for a certain amount but never be able to pay £20,000 a year!! Obviously if there was a loan for fees, I would want to apply to four...one of the reasons i need to know where i stand!
    Yeh i know, im a grad vet entry too, but you could apply to notts as well, theyre around the £3000 mark

ReputationRep:
    Oh, but there definitely isnt a loan for the £20000 fees, that would have to be a private loan from a bank. Which you could technically get, but still, its a lot! I know a girl who's got a £60,000 loan at the moment to pay for vet. Also the repayments start the second the money comes through so its tough

ReputationRep:
    Oh are they? So where are you hoping to go then?

ReputationRep:
    I went abroad, im studying at UVM Kosice in Slovakia for 6500 euros a year. And yup, notts are cheap too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmersonDrain)
    You can only get a maintenance loan. You won't get a maintenance grant or any help with fees for a second degree in vet med.

Thanks for the reply- and is that certain to be the case again from this year with the change from LEAs to the Student Loans company direct?

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly what I am vary of, since I want to do GE Med degree, I can raise tuition fees, but maintenance will be harder, plus neither vet nor med degrees can be combined with a full time job

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply- and is that certain to be the case again from this year with the change from LEAs to the Student Loans company direct?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    This is exactly what I am vary of, since I want to do GE Med degree, I can raise tuition fees, but maintenance will be harder, plus neither vet nor med degrees can be combined with a full time job
    True, but at least all graduate entry to medicine courses (whether GEPs or graduates going into standard courses) are exempt from the decision by universities to charge graduates the full costs of second degrees. Vet medicine isn't at most places - hence the £17,000 a year tuition fees plus maintenance costs. Scary!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. So to people who are studying grad vet, how did you raise the funds- did you look at career development loans, or work to save up?
    And any ideas of reasonable paid but relevant work I could do for a couple of years to save?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmersonDrain)
    True, but at least all graduate entry to medicine courses (whether GEPs or graduates going into standard courses) are exempt from the decision by universities to charge graduates the full costs of second degrees. Vet medicine isn't at most places - hence the £17,000 a year tuition fees plus maintenance costs. Scary!
    :eek3: I wasn't aware of that, oh god, I am soo glad I never wanted to be a vet - their undegrdad requirements are relatively high too, same academics as med, plus essential work exp working with animals, which isnt easy to find, certainly harder than with humans
    Yes, the tuition fee wouldn't be hard to pay, plus I am not going into a standard course, so its only £3000+, which I will use my maintenance loan from undergrad for. But living costs, thats my main concern, I cna live on bread and water, but transport, accom and bills would be harder to ignore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    Yeh but Med fees are normal, like £3000 ish, not like vet fees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigercallie)
    Yeh but Med fees are normal, like £3000 ish, not like vet fees
    I know, I never thought about it before, but you guys have it even harder :console: all the best with finding the money though

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. So to people who are studying grad vet, how did you raise the funds- did you look at career development loans, or work to save up?
    And any ideas of reasonable paid but relevant work I could do for a couple of years to save?
    Thanks!
    What is your first degree in? Just wondering, since professional jobs obviouly pay more? I'm not sure about relevant, but I think I know someone who worked in a rescue shelter (but that might be unpaid/voluntary) Try enquriign in RSPCA?

ReputationRep:
    Well my first degree was the PPP BA at Oxford, Psychology, Physiology and Philosophy.
    No idea what I can do next year now, I have worked out I need to save approx £25,000 to supplement the maintainance loan and pay for the fees (assuming I even got a place at the cheaper unis...if not it just seems impossible...)
    I would have to work for at least two years before starting the course, want to spend that time doing something 'useful' ie relevant to my application...

ReputationRep:
    I've heard lab work like i.e the VLA is reasonably paid. A girl in my year did that for a few years before coming to vet school and she seems to be fairly well-off. Apart from that the obvious is farm work... but that is not very well paid. Having said that... seasonal work such as lambing pays well but I'm guessing you're looking for a more permanent job? Whilst vet nursing is badly paid, I've heard that emergency clinics pay well, if you are prepared to work weird hours - not sure if you have to be qualified to work there??

ReputationRep:
    Oxford?! Ok, scrub second two options. Research is probably somewhere to aim for... maybe try places like the AHT or vet schools?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 14, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.