Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im currently on a gap year (working as an IT tech at college) and ive just been told that most unis block most ports apart from 80 due to p2p etc. Anyone know if UCLan do this with their connection? if so does it affect you guys anyways? becasue most games use dynamic ports nowadays anyway

Cheers
    Sam

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this affects me.

Anyone using the network lite service has alot of ports blocked. The network-lite service is used in all the uni owned halls, aswell as cosmopolitan and IQ Kopa.

I'm in Kopa, and all torrent ports, P2P ports etc are blocked. I can't get on Steam or access any Gamespy powered games, and I doubt I can get on any other game online either.

Its abit of a annoyance but meh.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, is annoying but you have to fight with it.
    I think it took me several weeks to set up everything and I was tunneling, proxying, etc until all was working for me how I want it.
    Don't know for Games, but for many apps/services I also needed to find tricks.
    That was back in 2007, so don't ask me how the situation is now! :-)

Good luck!
    Cheers Lx

ReputationRep:
    COME ON!!

does any1 knwo a way to get around it, ive tried **** loads an the only thing i know is the main server fo ze internet is in london (back tracked the IP address), so proxies dont help... :/

pleasssssssssssse any1 got any ideas? maybe if u add a modem to it?? like one of them Motorola ones??

ReputationRep:
    I got through a year without torrenting. So can you.

ReputationRep:
    when i lived in halls i got through it, cant remember how, cause it was 3 years ago, but i managed to use bit lord and nasty limewire, didn't try with games or game consoles :-(
    hope yous manage to

ReputationRep:
    Are you allowed to watch movies online in Uclan? or use MegaUpload to get movies?
    What are the chances of getting caught?

ReputationRep:
    You can use megaupload. Get a free account, it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    if u plug ur internet cable into a wireless router then you can opline game with ps3, pc, xbox 360 and all with open NAT too. this is only way we figured out how to break the system.

there is a way to pc game but it has a strict NAT so pretty useless to be honest. but if u plug ur internet into a PC or laptop, then connect that to an xbox or ps3 then u can game. but thts a pretty rubbish was of doing it and u need a laptop or pc woth 2 ethernet prots also.

i'm here right now too so thats how to crack it this year

ReputationRep:
    It's challenging to get through the system, however keep in mind that you might get banned from Uni by doing so.

In fact this whole crappy system gives you one big opportunity to get legal and change your old behaviour with the copyrights in this world.
    This may sound far away for you, but is of highest quality for your personal development if you are grown up. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee90)
    if u plug ur internet cable into a wireless router then you can opline game with ps3, pc, xbox 360 and all with open NAT too. this is only way we figured out how to break the system.

there is a way to pc game but it has a strict NAT so pretty useless to be honest. but if u plug ur internet into a PC or laptop, then connect that to an xbox or ps3 then u can game. but thts a pretty rubbish was of doing it and u need a laptop or pc woth 2 ethernet prots also.

i'm here right now too so thats how to crack it this year

Are you not able to use a gaming VPN service on the net?

ReputationRep:
    honest answer...not sure

all i know is they ban EVERYTHING online gaming wise. there pretty smart, but the router is how everyone i knoe does it. sometimes u cn steal another flats too if ur lucky.

ReputationRep:
    Heard for a soc member you can play games in Kopa now.

ReputationRep:
    You can play online games at fine speeds in Cosmopolitan (Moor Lane Halls) and it's fine for downloading. It seems limitless and is often very fast.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 9, 2010

University open days

• University of Central Lancashire
    Preston campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.