Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ******* gutted. Only bought the car in April.

The car needs, a new suspension arm (whatever that is) , and new pads and discs front and rear, And thats the major things.

I actually asked to see the old pads and discs, they are not trying to mug me off.They are pitted and messed up.

I have told them to do the work, but I feel like ****.

ReputationRep:
    Suspension arm is what holds the wheel to the car. Its a pretty important piece.

EDIT; may as well put some useful advise in there;

Can you do any of the work yourself? Get the bits from a scrappy and then just get it MOT'd again later? Disks and pads arnt beyond a lot of people. The suspension arm might be a bit tricky, but its not complicated or buried deep in the car. A few hours with a couple of mechanically minded mates should have the bulk of it done.

ReputationRep:
    OUCH ... is it worth it ?? My car wasnt even worth : (

Dont you have any relatives/ family friends etc that know a mechanic ... you might get it cheaper ?

ReputationRep:
    It does seem a lot, I recently had new brakes on my car and pads are like £20 a pair, discs were a little more. All depends on what type of car you have I suppose and the length of time it takes them to repair it, often it's the labour that costs so much.

ReputationRep:
    Well I paid ten grand for the car, but what Iam a bit off about is not so much the garage who are doing this work ,but I bought the car in April, I have hardly driven it except at weekends because I am so busy normally.Unless some boy racer has been stealing my keys and thrashing the hell out of it, without my knowledge, I fail to see how the pads and everything else is in this state.Yet I have seen it with my own eyes. I drive like a Grandad.

The garage I bought the car from , said it had been fully serviced and the car had quite a few months left on it's MOT. The 3 mth guarantee they gave me , doesn't cover wear and tear parts. And Iam sure their arses are covered as 3mths is up and as I said the guarantee doesn't cover anything listed today.

And I know nothing about cars, neither does anyone in my family I have one friend who knows a bit about cars but not maintaining them. Rest of them are like me. I think they should start teaching basic motor maintainence in school, in sixth form or something.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of car is it? The most I've ever paid to get my car through an MOT is around £300 and that was a P reg Fiesta about two years ago. My last one for my W reg Freelander was about the same but I knew it needed a few things when I bought it, plus I made the mistake of getting it done at quite an expensive garage, the MOT itself cost £55 compared the the £30 I've spent each time previously and they charged me a lot for labour. The garage I usually use at home belongs to a mate of mine so I often get a good deal. If your car is worth 10K then £800 isn't a lot in comparison. But in my opinion, if I was spending that much on a car I wouldn't expect it to cost £800 to pass it's MOT.

ReputationRep:
    well if you have 10k for a new car, surely £800 is spare change no?

all the things listed are important safety features. you either get them done, or you will have a nice rusty tub on your drive for a long time to come.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch. My car cost me about £400 to MOT this year, which was pretty gutting - if I'd known that in the first place it wouldn't have been worth doing. It failed the first test on a deteriorated catalytic converter, headlamp aim and excessive smoke for a turbo diesel (first test was 5.5l/min - the limit is 3.0l/min!). I managed to get injectors off ebay for £70, fitted them myself, sorted the headlamp aim (needed a new adjuster motor - the garage that had previously done some repair work on the car had just wedged a piece of card over the lens), bought a new cat and took it to another garage to have the cat fitted and new test done. They then told me it was still failing on emissions, had a light out (I found out this weekend it was actually a bad connection rather than the bulb they replaced!) and needed some welding done to the sill. As I'd already spent most of the money I got the welding done, and the garage traced the emissions problem to a split hose off the turbo.. all still rather painful on a car worth maybe £500!
    By the way, what kind of car is it, and where did you buy it from?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hannah_Jeffries)
    OUCH ... is it worth it ?? My car wasnt even worth : (

Dont you have any relatives/ family friends etc that know a mechanic ... you might get it cheaper ?
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Well I paid ten grand for the car, but what Iam a bit off about is not so much the garage who are doing this work ,but I bought the car in April, I have hardly driven it except at weekends because I am so busy normally.Unless some boy racer has been stealing my keys and thrashing the hell out of it, without my knowledge, I fail to see how the pads and everything else is in this state.Yet I have seen it with my own eyes. I drive like a Grandad.

The garage I bought the car from , said it had been fully serviced and the car had quite a few months left on it's MOT. The 3 mth guarantee they gave me , doesn't cover wear and tear parts. And Iam sure their arses are covered as 3mths is up and as I said the guarantee doesn't cover anything listed today.

And I know nothing about cars, neither does anyone in my family I have one friend who knows a bit about cars but not maintaining them. Rest of them are like me. I think they should start teaching basic motor maintainence in school, in sixth form or something.

A full service? That's probably just an oil change, maybe oil filter changed, new spark plugs. Probably didn't check pads/discs, as for the suspension arm, very unlikely.

Do you have a copy of the MOT? That may have had advisories, but IIRC when selling you a car they don't have to give you the advisory list.

ReputationRep:
    what car was it; how much was parts, how long after buying was the mot?

ReputationRep:
    I would say do as much of it as possibly yourself (I would) but being as you don't have any experience in working on cars, you could just make things worse.

Just take it as a lesson for the future to have a REALLY good look at a car before you buy it (take someone along who knows what they're looking for). Just because it's shiny on the top doesn't mean it's so shiny underneath.

ReputationRep:
    What kinda of car is it i had both the arms on my ka replaced for £80 and a new tire and front pads was only £120

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fishy, what car is it?

On my car:

Pads/discs £100 to £200

Wishbone Maybe <£100

Labour

ReputationRep:
    Unless it's a BMW 850CSi or a VW Phaeton, they're ripping you for labour. Parts < £400 for what you've described. Maybe as little as £100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmyMonster)
    A full service? That's probably just an oil change, maybe oil filter changed, new spark plugs. Probably didn't check pads/discs, as for the suspension arm, very unlikely.

Do you have a copy of the MOT? That may have had advisories, but IIRC when selling you a car they don't have to give you the advisory list.
    Standard service includes oil and filters. No point changing one without changing t'other. Spark plugs tend to be 60,000 miles for most petrols. They should look at brakes, but doubt the wishbone arm will have been looked at, although a visual check should be made under the car, including brakes and suspension.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motoroller)
    Unless it's a BMW 850CSi or a VW Phaeton, they're ripping you for labour. Parts < £400 for what you've described. Maybe as little as £100.
    Agreed. Unless its something really special with "special" priced parts, then quite frankly thats a rip off for pads, discs a lower arm, tracking labour and retest.

Theres only a couple of hours labour on that job. 3 hours at the most if youve got a "freak" car with awkward parts.

ReputationRep:
    OP, if you think you are being lied to over the MOT costs you could take the car to another garage and see what price you are quoted there. I do think that £800 is an extortionate amount of cash to be honest. We have an old Rover 400 series and paid £275 to get it through the MOT. What car do you have?.

ReputationRep:
    Get a quote for the work elsewhere thats a lot of money for brakes and a wishbone

ReputationRep:
    My Civic VTI S despite being 9 years old has never had more work done then 50 pound.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.