Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Click here to read the article

In the near future, we'll have electron microscopes in phones too :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Now I can save even fewer pics on my memory card at even more pointlessly high resolutions! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ...and only suckers will buy them with all their savings. According to photographic experts, the BEST practical resolution for personal cameras is 7 megapixels. You don't need more MPs than that. What you do need is a high-performance lens and sensor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humz2)
    In the near future, we'll have electron microscopes in phones too :ahee:
    he he ur right hopefully well have one in the future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neodymium)
    ...and only suckers will buy them with all their savings. According to photographic experts, the BEST practical resolution for personal cameras is 7 megapixels. You don't need more MPs than that. What you do need is a high-performance lens and sensor.

mm the first time I heard about that .......
    Wouldn't having greater no of pixels increase the amount that you can zoom into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishta)
    Wouldn't having greater no of pixels increase the amount that you can zoom into?
    Yeah but what are you going to do with all the zooming? Increasing the no. of MPs can actually backfire and degrade the image quality. The camera and phone manufacturers are feeding the misconception to the public that higher MP = better pic, but it's not the case. Beyond 6 or 7mp, pixels have no more part to play in image quality. It then depends all on the image sensor, lens quality and processing techniques.

Here's some more info: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/te...ewanted=1&_r=2

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter what resolution the sensor can capture, the pictures are never going to be great with a tiny little lens. My dSLR takes very good pictures at 10 megapixel, but my dad's has a larger sensor and a better lens so despite being lower resolution (8MP) captures better images.

Is this some kind of ploy to make ad revenue, Ishan?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishta)
    The blurriness at high zoom levels isn't because of the pixels, it's because of optical limitations. You can add more pixels, but you just divide the blur into smaller idividual pieces rather than removing it.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, a pointlessly high megapixel count. That'll lure the buyers in.. no, really. But 20MP is just silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Is this some kind of ploy to make ad revenue, Ishan?!

mm nt really i posted the link to my blog because I found it difficult to attach the image here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neodymium)
    Yeah but what are you going to do with all the zooming? Increasing the no. of MPs can actually backfire and degrade the image quality. The camera and phone manufacturers are feeding the misconception to the public that higher MP = better pic, but it's not the case. Beyond 6 or 7mp, pixels have no more part to play in image quality. It then depends all on the image sensor, lens quality and processing techniques.

Here's some more info: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/te...ewanted=1&_r=2

dude thx for the info :yes: :yes: :yes:

(Original post by ishta)
    mm nt really i posted the link to my blog because I found it difficult to attach the image here
    Okay :kiss:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyyy)
    Excellent, a pointlessly high megapixel count. That'll lure the buyers in.. no, really. But 20MP is just silly.
    it'll sell though, since most people actually think higher resolution means better pictures, there's no other way the average costumer can compare cameras.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, let's increase the resolution so the idiots see a bigger number and assume it means better image quality when in fact it's probably worse than ever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wintersunset)
    it'll sell though, since most people actually think higher resolution means better pictures, there's no other way the average costumer can compare cameras.
    I know, but it still seems a little silly going as high as 20MP. Most camera phones are nothing above, what, 5MP? Even if they 'only' were making them at 10MP (which is verging on pointlessly high anyway), surely that would be advantageous enough?

Ah well, people will buy in to it either way. All that matters, I suppose!

ReputationRep:
    Gonna be crap cos people will buy it thinking it is really good and not only will it have a pointlessly high resolution and a tiny sensor. The ISO will be so high cos people will take it in clubs will make photos unbelieveably noisey

(Noisey photos are my pet hate)

ReputationRep:
    I have a Samsung Tocco Ultra with a 8MP camera, it royally sucks compared to my 2 year old Nokia N95 with a 5MP camera. The optics and sensor in the Nokia are ten times better than the Samsung. Instead of upgrading with the Samsung, I took a massive step backwards, and that is compared to the N95!

If it was 20MP with carl zeiss optics then maybe it will be alright, but it just seems like a waste of memory to me.

ReputationRep:
    Why needs the 12MP of the current "best" cam phones, let alone 20MP. Doesnt 8MP get you a 10"x8" photo or something. And obviously like everyone has said its a waste of time without a whole good thing. We got a family Sony 5MP camera when everyone was on about 2MP. Its pretty big but it takes epic pictures, I am assuming because it has a good sensor and lens. Not just what was back then a high MP count. And it cost a bomb too, about £470. My point being that if you add the high MP, excelelnt lens and excellent sensor it ends up costing a ton and isnt really viable for phones.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.