Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    upon opening up a student bank account (i.e. one where it's a condition that you have your student load paid into it), does anybody know at what stage you can do it?

i know they need to have some kind of validation you're a student, but does that mean conditional offers around this time of year (and obviously once you're 18), or do you need to have obtained the grades and thus a concrete place at the uni? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    call the bank and see what they say, each bank's terms may differ :eek:

ReputationRep:
    When I opened up my HSBC student account a few years ago, they would only let me do it once my UCAS unconditional offer letter came through. Other banks may be different, but I doubt it. Make sure you shop around for the best student account; see what they have to offer. I know when I got my unconditional letter through, I opened up several accounts for the freebies, but I don't think you can get away with that now. It's still worth a try though.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes they also ask for a copy of your financial statement from your LEA.

ReputationRep:
    Refer to this website with the bullet point called 'banks', it will tell you everything you need to open a student bank account and what documents you need to open one: http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/students/index.htm

The website I gave you above have all the main banks you might consider, check the bank websites to see which one suits you.

ReputationRep:
    www.scool.co.uk gives you loads of info on comparing student bank accounts at various different banks.

ReputationRep:
    You can open an HSBC student account before you have your a level results if you show them the thing from ucas which shows your conditional offer. However, you won't be able to access the overdraft until you've got your results, and shown proof (ie from ucas) to the bank.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.